View Single Post
      03-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
MrCsquared
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley913 View Post
I do admit some dyno run shows higher hp than manufactures claimed. However, I think the manufacture’s horsepower number is more reliable than dyno number. The manufactures test the engine in a controlled room (temp, humility, etc.) and only with the engine connected to the testing machine. This method is far more reliable than any dyno. Second, I just don’t see any reason a manufacture would underrate their engine. It’s more of the opposite case. I can see manufactures overrating their engine because hp sells cars.

None of us know how the M4 will perform but one can make logical guesses. Here is my logic: assumes the M4 will be slower than the E92 M3 GTS. The GTS is way off the z/28 pace. Therefore, M4 is way off the z/28 pace.
Let's agree to disagree

I understand your logic regarding the notion of overrating figures and the subsequent affect that may have on sales, however that simply hasn't been the case, regardless of the logic behind it. This underrating of power has almost become an industry wide trend and is undoubtedly present in BMW's cars, among many others (may I suggest the E63 AMG?). I won't bother to get into the specifics but I'll mention the S63 as well as the N54 as prime examples of motors that have been widely accepted as being vastly underrated. I think there have been more than enough tests demonstrating the degree of underrating that is present amongst BMW's turbo motors.

Additionally, BMW has been very conservative in terms of acceleration times as well.

In terms of being slower than the E92 M3 GTS. Hmm, will be interesting to see. I'm really excited to see what types of numbers the F8X can set, but you're right, if it is slower than the GTS than it would reasonable to conclude it will be slower than the Z28. Only time can tell, I'm just not so sure this is as sure as you're making it seem.
Appreciate 0