View Single Post
      07-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurdium View Post
Again 911 and any porsches are great cars; my video proves that. However you guys need to understand how good the F8X platform is as well. 2-3 seconds faster than the equivalent Amg/RS car on track, in some cases can keep up and pass much faster cars (I've chased down Gt350r and c7 vettes before) if you have sufficient skill over the other driver. Being able to say that about a car I drive in the Canadian snowstorm is pretty cool no?

Porsches make great cars, and I definitely will check that off my list one day. However BMW with the M4 brings very good performance as well. Can we all just agree on this and move on?
This. In bold is precisely what my argument is (not quite what others are saying), that the cars are close enough in performance so that driver skills can more than make up for the theoretical difference in performance we all know very well from spec spreadsheets or pro drivers around known racetracks.

Funf6cyl The claim I can only compete in an unlevel playing field (in my favor, of course) is so outlandish it's hilarious, and only shows your complete ignorance and lack of understanding of a) what my claim is (see above for a refresher, perhaps take some reading comprehension classes as well?), and b) what reality is in the HPDE's and AER races I attend.

But of course, you're so far off in fantasyland that if I told you I've always ran M3's with significantly LESS modifications than my competition, less sticky rubber and against more expensive machinery, that would go completely over your head.

I'm happy to admit an actual Pro would absolutely embarrass my times... whether it would be in my M3, a Porsche or even a 'less capable car' on paper. How many pros do you know make claims such as 'any Porsche is faster than any bmw'? Are you a pro driver? Because you sound awfully lot like a keyboard racer, armed with spreadsheets and online shootouts...

Let's see if rephrasing you can actually understand: the performance envelopes of M3's overlap those of much, much more expensive cars, thereby making it the driver that makes the difference - so hopefully most of us reading this thread... or do you only watch races and have youtube HPDE experience? What are your best times with street tires around VIR, the Glen, Pitt Race or Palmer? How about with DOT slicks? Hearing about 'handling', 'pure bred sports cars', 'built from the ground up', etc from people that are clueless is like hearing about the description of sunsets from someone that's been blind since birth, or all those people that have advice for LeBron or Nadal...

Back to you Absurdium : In my particular experience with M3's, fellow HPDE'ers (similar driving experience as mine, both while climbing through the ranks and now as an instructors) driving cars with a an on-paper performance capability below a 991.1 or .2 GT3 are simply not at the same pace. Sure, some drivers in 991 GT3's are faster than I am, and others slower, but sausage4, have you really never seen an M3 (of any generation) be faster than a GT3 in an HPDE?

The mistake couch racers, closet p-car fanboys and keyboard warriors keep making is inferring that because a pro can be faster in one car vs another, then they, driving that car, can also be faster in that one car vs someone else driving the other car. They forget the fact M3's are more forgiving allows us laymen to approach their limits (and beyond) confidently, thereby enabling us to extract more of the performance available vs another car that is less forgiving.
Appreciate 0