View Single Post
      02-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #49
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Here are some pics from the Spanish Sequestration...

Not the best pics as I went super light (no DSLR, 28 hours of travel each way!), but even with a cell it was hard to take a bad pic, but my wife wouldn't let me photoblog either so I had to sneak them in

On the way out I was able to grab a sunset pic of Rainier

Majorca is a stunning island (off the east coast of Spain in the Med)

Here's the main city on the island, Palma. There's a lot of business and industry here for a mostly bucolic island. Downtown Palma feels like most continental European cities

Did you see the le Carré mini-series Night Manager?

It's great btw, and House's evil lair is a property on Mallorca. I wanted to drive out but there was construction so we wussed out.

Here's internet pictures of the evil lair

Looking much less impressive, this is it. It's the hump on the right of the pic in front of the larger foothills in the background. Whatever. It was something to do.

BTW, this was the offseason, and the airport was terrifyingly large, but blissfully empty. I can't even imagine summer. It would be a catastrophe. Go in the off-season. Here's a sculpture in the airport (Majorca has sculpture EVERYWHERE) that has had the boobs rubbed so many times by so many ravers that the bronzing wore off.

But seriously there's sculpture everywhere. Literally on the sides of roads.

Majorca has fucking good ham <- KITH. Majorca specializes in Jamon and you can buy it by the leg in every store. The weird thing is, the place is 99% farms and I saw donkeys, chickens, sheep, but zero pigs.

On Valentines day I found a heart shaped German potato. Majorca also has a lot of Germans. I heard more German than Spanish. They have special German stores and whole drug store chain called Mueller which is awesome and all German.

The property we stayed at was a landscape architect's dream. They literally cut the marble out of the side of a mountain and rearranged it to make the place.

And the architects used the natural mountain run-off to build water flow into the property everywhere. It was basically like walking within one big waterfall - really well done. KidsCollege knows water is the enemy,
so I'm impressed with how they used it well here.

Normally we don't go for the patio rooms but the desk people conned us into it and I'm glad they did, it was awesome. We actually had 3 different patio areas and the way the property is designed there's hardly ever anyone that goes by except us. it was surprisingly nice to lay out or have happy hour on the patio.

any place that has falconry as a routine activity is a winner in my view

We also spent some time in Madrid. FYI, the rains in Spain really do fall mainly on the plain.

Madrid has catholic churches EVERYWHERE If they can jam a church into an intersection they'll totally do it. count on it.

Madrid also has some historical junk. Here's a horse guy by a house or palace or something. I guess it's pretty obvious I'm a big history buff.

The palace seemed unnecessarily largeIn the distance you can see an interesting dome thing

here's shitty close up of the dome thing

The palace grounds also has some stone dudes

Welp, that's it! Hope everyone is doing grand!

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-24-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 5
minn1914021.00
Wah2778.50
F831355.50