Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282 View Post
This says it all- BMW wants to now make m cars for "all" not just for enthusiasts. That's the problem. The f8x is a good example- it's a street car which is trackable rather than track car that can be driven in the street- mclaren, and the new 991.2s and up is track focused first and street second.

Don't get me wrong I love my m4 but it's not track first and this is ok for me as while I autox it and do DE events I haul groceries and my two kids more often than I do autox or DE events

I wouldn't say that.. I would say in order for BMW to make a DCT that can cope with 600 ft-lbs plus of torque the tranny would be PDK expensive and that in turn would be passed onto the customer. How many people would pay 4k for a tranny on a 50k/ 60k M2/M3? M5/ M6, maybe. When you can get a 8speed ZF off the shelf that can deal with it, that's proven and shifts 95% as fast, and doesn't come with the cons of DCT.

A lot of the said mention manufactures can charge that or the transaction price can cover the cost of the tranny that deals with big power.

Porsche again makes almost 15k a car on every car it sells, and the last gen PDK is $3200 USD. Everything in the Porsche lineup has it, minus the current gen Cayenne which the next gen will move over to the soon to be common 8speed PDK.
Appreciate 0