05-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #32
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyhummel3 View Post
i feel the same thing as you do, mate. but from my research and experience, the front sits that height for a reason which is keeping the chassis perfectly parallel with the ground. its well balanced for many many aspects, such as brake bias, weight distribution, dynamic control and etc. i know rear sits low and looks brilliant. but if you go lower the front and keep the rear as it is, the car goes nose down a bit which affects handling a lot (my real experience), like you come into the corner with hard brake, the tail slides more than stock and out of corner, the front end feels so much understeering. its up to you, mate. go looks or go tracks. time to decide, lol.
Makes 100% sense to me. In fact, I joined a car cruise over the holiday weekend through the local mountain twisty roads. During the lunch break, a guy with a beautiful new 911 Turbo (who previously had an F80 M3) came up to me to congratulate me on the car and chat a bit about it. I briefly mentioned my desire to even out the fender gap and he basically mirrored what you said. He HIGHLY recommended against it. He said that he lowered his M3, ended up regretting it, then put the stock springs back on. He said he couldn't believe how much lowering the front negatively impacted the feel/handling of the car.

Between what both of you have said, I'll be keeping the suspension as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyhummel3 View Post
+1, to be honest im aganst for any insane lowered fronts cos the car plays DD for most of people. lets keep it functional.

btw, im a subaru nutter for the last 10 years and used to own an sti as well. love that scooby in pieces.
Nice! When I traded my STI in on the S4 a couple of years ago, I had serious remorse for a while. Almost entirely because of just how solid the suspension, shifter and clutch felt in the STI. The suspension feel and paddle shifting in the S4 felt much more numb to me, in comparison. However, I'm amazed at how much the M3 shifting and suspension feels almost identical to my STI, which had upgraded coilovers, sway bars, end links, shifter, front/rear bushings, solid engine mount etc. etc.

I know many won't love the comparison; But to me, minus AWD, the M3 truly feels like the "grown up" STI that I always wished my S4 was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Congrats. Welcome to M World
Thanks!

Last edited by DadVibes; 05-29-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 1