View Single Post
      12-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #45
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
You can't just toss out N'ring laptimes - It DOES matter and that's why most car manufacturers (even Tesla, although I don't like calling them a car manufacturer) test their performance cars intensely (and take pride in their best lap times/records) using Pro/race drivers instead of running them on HPDE tracks/NASCAR ovals using <insert car club here> HPDE <insert advanced run group color> drivers (#NoOffense). Because that's a far more credible test.

And yes, I take Pro driver reviews like Chris Harris' far more seriously than blanket statements on any forum. IIRC, his words for the M4 GTS were "comfortably slowest..." (comparing against a 991.1 GT3RS and AMG GTR). I'd bet that no one in the PCA HPDE advanced run group is anywhere close to Chris in terms of driving skills.
Couple of thoughts:

If you want to bench race, the GT3 and GTS are very evenly matched.

Hockenheim Short:
M4 GTS - 1:09.6
991.1 GT3 - 1:09.2

N-ring
M4 GTS - 7:27.88
991.1 GT3 - 7:25.xx (no video, just Porsche claim)

Pretty well even, I would say.

BMW UK had 2 press cars (white and grey). The one Harris drove (white) was not configured for the track - aero is all in street mode and the ride height is clearly the higher of the 2 factory settings (allegedly the dampers were as well - he made comments about the behavior of the suspension that are in line with the car being in street mode or even softer).

Moreover, I would hope that the GTS is slower than cars which cost 50% more when new - both the 991.1 RS and AMG GT R were close to $200k as tested by Harris (and the RS was commanding a significant ADM for the first 18 months of its production).

In fairness to SYT, a lot of guys with high end machinery love to quote magazine specs but don't have the ability (or balls or whatever you want to call it) to extract more than 8/10ths from their cars. I have been at a track day with an LMP2 car that was running marginally faster than a quick road car. Money /= talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
2) The GT3 drivers weren't pushing as hard (more than 7/10ths) as you were since they didn't want to ball up their car that's worth twice as much as yours. (#NoOffense)
Well, I doubt anyone tracking a $100k+ (or $80k for a GTS) car is doing so without track day insurance. 991.1 GT3 is definitely more expensive than a GTS, but not 2x. Maybe 1.2x-1.3x.

Last edited by 4play; 12-01-2020 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 1