View Single Post
      09-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #28
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It's actually the opposite. Maximizing braking deceleration is where the least time can be gained. Think about what is the proportionate amount of time you spend braking over the course of an entire lap, it is pretty minimal.

In fact, I'd say most novice and intermediate can gain way more time by braking LESS and increase cornering speeds.
If you count on all the corners on an entire lap, you are right for smaller braking zones. However, for big braking zones after long straights I think it makes significant difference. I agree that novice and intermediate would rather lose entry speed from too much braking or it can get dangerous due to aggressive trail braking without good weight transfer and recovery skills. I actually learned like you say by focusing on entry speed, car control at limits and smooth weight transfer rather than braking hard. Then I realized I was not braking hard enough, and figured out braking harder/later and raising my top speed few miles higher in just two long straights made quite a bit of lap time improvement.

Not to debate nor project my ego, but just sharing what I learned personally while still endlessly learning.

Edit: For novice/intermediate you are right on braking hard will actually lose time and it's correct to say braking hard is not a way for easy lap time improvement. So my statement is wrong in that sense and I can be bashed. But for maximizing braking while also maximizing all other- entry-mid-exit speed, I think it gives significant improvements.

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 09-08-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0