View Single Post
      12-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #176
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Why do fanboys think just because someone isn't so impressed with their precious car, it MUST BE because they just don't know anything about the car???

The block is the same. It has 2 turbo's like the N54 in my wife's 335. It has direct injection like my wife's 335 (lets HOPE they fixed the valve deposit issue). It has valvtronic like the N55. It has an air to water intercoller that's UGLY AS SH@T on top of the engine, which isn't necessarily "better" than an air to air. //M claims it'll have better cooling so it can be tracked, but they said the same of the S63tu and people still to limp modes on the track. At least it has a respectable red line, but I'm wondering how it'll pull past 7,000 RPM.

I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $20,000 TO ME. I'm just not THAT impressed.Now if they fix the crappy electric steerring, I'll be all for that because the current cars with it SUCK BALLZ. Prosche gets about 175 lbs off of a Cayman and 911 for the performance variants, as does Ferrari and that's without a CF drive shaft or trunk, so again not THAT impressed with the weight loss, but I'll take it. If the lease numbers are good at LCi, I'll probably still get once, but not sure I'll be all that excited about it. I'll also be looking at the M2 if it every comes out along with the M6 GC. If you fanboys haven't noticed, the M5 has been getting it's ASS KICKED by EVERY OTHER CAR IN IT'S CATEGORY.

Just to clarify, I've owned TWO E9x M3's, E36 M3, X5 CSi and 335 (wife's car) with light tuning. Not NOT an anti-BMW or //M dude. I have a lifetime membership to the CCA as well. I'm about as big a fanboy as BMW could hope for, but I'm also not blind to the money grab they've been doing the last few years at the expense of what made me a BMW fan.

Most of that is off topic to what was said. The comment was "the s55 is just a tuned n55". Fact is it's not at all. Whether or not you like turbos is irrelevant to this discussion.

The m5 isn't the same as it's 1000 lbs heavier and doesn't have the same amount of track specific cooling. Ie multiple radiators, oil coolers and heat exchangers.

Boss330 does a nice job of summarizing the extensive differences between the n55 /s55

Hardware differences In summary

-larger turbos
-lclosed deck design
-robust cooling with 7 total radiators / oil coolers / heat exchangers
-liquid to air cooling
-different internals

Last edited by Black Gold; 12-26-2013 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0