View Single Post
      04-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #494
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
I'm asking for it to not keep the clutch engaged indefinitely after releasing the gas.
I see. What confused me was your words "Tap the gas to make the car start creeping." I understand now that what you are looking for is to be able to release the gas to make it stop creeping.

Quote:
I'm also not asking for the car to creep slower by slipping the clutch. I understand why that's not a viable solution. (Although I know the car can creep slower than it does without stalling - I can force it to by using the brake.)
Right, although that will still cause the computer to slip the clutch or at least ride on the edge of engagement (I believe the manual even has a warning about this type of behavior causing wear - or did in some revision). Either way, it's a course-grained way of artificially limiting the speed with possible undesired side-effects.

Quote:
But without the low speed assist feature, you'd be able to make more precise maneuvers because you could just tap the gas to move up on inch, instead of having to tap the gas then immediately jump to the brake to stop the creep.
I see how that could be useful, sure.

Quote:
Also, from my experience, my car will never release the clutch and coast to a stop without you hitting the brake. It will go down to idle creep speed and stay there until I hit the brake.
That makes more sense - probably my misremembering. There are definitely cases where the car will release the clutch without application of the brake, but it's probably limited to a spin or other extreme situations.

Quote:
Right now, two pedals control the clutch: the gas to engage it, and the brake to disengage it. I'm asking for the clutch to engage when depressing the gas and disengage when releasing it, giving you control over the clutch with one pedal (how I think it should be).
It's not a bad idea. The drawback is that you can't creep without some pedal input. I appreciated the no-input behavior in traffic, particularly when combined with the ability to toggle from first to second gear.

Quote:
Overall, I'm definitely a fan of the DCT. It's just this small change that would make it perfect for me.
What would be nice is if you could choose which way you wanted it to operate using iDrive settings. They could even add a third "auto-creep" mode allowing you to use the brake pedal for both engaging and disengaging the clutch.
Appreciate 1
minn1914057.00