View Single Post
      12-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #35
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Not really much massaging. With the N54 you got similar power with a ~$500 SW tune and much,much more power when using more advanced tunes.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508

It's pretty obvious that the engine is not the party trick with this M3 iteration. BMW has taken the cheap and easy route with the engine this time and focused more on weight, it doesn't mean that the car isn't going to be very powerful and spectacular as a package. What remains to be seen is how revolutionary the anti-lag system is. If it really works well this engine can still be special for a while. The S65 on the other hand will always be special.

Btw is there anyone with good photoshop skills and some time on their hands that could overlay the S55 power chart with one from the N63TU adjusted to the same ratings ( crank or rw ) power? I suspect they are pretty similar.
No doubt the N54s and N55s had massive power potential. The difference here being this engine has a full factory warranty and has upgraded internals and cooling designed for 430+ hp (430 is likely conservative too). Those engines also were not known for their high rpm power delivery. They sort of die around 6000 RPM. We don't know the characteristics of the S55 just yet, but with a claimed 7600 rpm redline, I'm hoping M wouldn't let it limp it's way up there.
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0