View Single Post
      10-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #518
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
There is a difference between what the C7 Vette is compared to what's happening between the F8x to G8x.

I would say the change from C7 to the C8 is more like what is happening. However, unlike the Corvette history where the mid engine setup was already being pushed by its old designer, the G8x removed the history of what BMW has always been. At the very end of the day, that is the problem with the G8x in general. And no, just because they shove a vertical grill on, doesn't mean they are retaining the history. It's complete BS they think we would buy into that as no old BMW vertical grill stretched from the top of its hood down to the bottom. Old BMW grill isn't 40% of it's damn front end.

History is what makes us, what makes a company, or person who they are today. BMW threw all of it away for one generation because they want to attract buyers who would immediately jump ship to another brand when a better opportunity comes around..
For me the history about bmw and M cars is the practicality of an everyday car, but pushes performance toward the performance of a sports car. You know if they even got rid of the kidney altogether, but still had a sporty and nice looking grill, I could get behind it (preferred they didn’t, but I could live with the change). But this grill looks like it belongs in a Mack truck - not a sports sedan or coupe.

Their is no flow or cohesion to the overall design. Don’t like the change to the kink, but I could have accepted that. Frankly, even with the F80, as far as the grill goes, I don’t like the idea of how easy it is for rocks or debris to get through and cause serious engine damage, but it looks classy and refined and I like the look with the black optics package. With the G80, you’ve got even bigger gaps, it looks like crap and unless they come up with an optical illusion package, nothing is going to make that grill look better.

We’ve got a Lexus RX350 for my wife and trips and when we got the 2017, I didn’t like the big grill on the regular model, but actually liked the F sport grill and we went with that (also black instead of the regular chrome). But the larger grill looks okay on an SUV. I even think the LC500 with the big grill looks cool. The BMW is an eyesore. You don’t see Mercedes making such ugly grills - I really like the look of the C63s AMG coupe (I actually think it looks better than the M4). I really don’t know what BMW was thinking with this design. Nothing wrong with making bold changes. But for god sake, make it look good!!!!

It’s not like I didn’t want the G80/82 to be a good looking car - I was waiting for an AWD M3/4, just didn’t realize it would be so ugly when BMW finally made one. Hell, if the new G80 came in the i8 body, I’d be first in line for a pre-order. To me that was a drastic design change I loved. It’s just that the car had shit performance. It’s just disappointing that BMW could ever approve such an ugly design of the G80/82, I almost didn’t purchase my 2017 m3C (bought it new in late 2018), in anticipation of an AWD M3/4, now I’m even more glad I did.

Last edited by kss; 10-22-2020 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3498.00
CT_M31478.00