12-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #34
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
Ha I agree most people do "pounce" maybe I did...I get people are passionate about M3/M4's but "my opinion" is there are very few cars that can honestly match a car on any level, that is twice the cost. In my business my customers are the corporate HQ's for Ferrari, Maserati, Aston, Bentley, MBUSA, BMW, etc and I can to see and touch EVERYTHING. I have test driven lots of cars (many pre-production M cars over the years) and I own a Mini Cooper (my fiances ride), F-150 (I have Raptor envy but couldn't justify the $15k difference), S2000 and a 911 C4S. Honestly, I have eagerly been waiting for the new M4 to come out. As the M4 has continued to go up in price so have my expectations. I view my E46 as a sports car, the E92 as "just about" to cross the line to GT car, and the new M4 unfortunately "appears" to have crossed into the "GT" car territory. I am getting old and that might be what I am ready for but I can't decide until I drive it which is 100% correct. I do actually think for this reason the M3 will actually be the better car over the M4 since, I for one, will find GT car handling great in a 4-door. Drive a 911S as your daily driver for a few months and then go into an E92 and you will realize the handling of the 911 is so much more agile in terms of feel. Then drive an S2000 for a week and get in the 911 and you will think "this feels like a school bus". Even with the crappy acceleration in the S2000, once you are moving on a back road you will forget everything. If 0-60 is the driving factor the Corvette is the best value for your money- maybe the Shelby Mustang. The new 991S in sport mode with the sport exhaust is as close to driving nirvana as I have found for $100k. Its the sum of all parts- fit, finish, performance, handling, etc. Let's be honest, if someone was looking for "value", we would all be driving the WRX STI because lets face it, out of the box it is great but with a little tune that is a monster. My view on "value" alternatives would be WRX STI vs M3, Corvette/Mustang/used 911S vs M4, and 911 GT3 vs a Ferrari458.
E46 M3 and E46 M3 CSL was "purer" driver cars, then the E92 somehow did a mix of crazy engine but not up to speed brakes and a bit heavy perhaps (UK Magazines declared the E46 better when the E9x came).

To me, the F8x (both M3 and M4) seems to go back to the E46 roots with lower weight, upgraded brakes, better handling, better rear diff etc. Many parts of the evolution from E9x to F8x pointing more towards sports than GT, to me.

What happens with the M3 brakes after two laps here is worrying...

Appreciate 0