A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I'd say that is pure speculation. Given the different turbos, state of tune and different exhaust, comparisons to N54/N55 are fairly out the window. Sure there will be some similarity but I don't think you can say this with any certainty.
If anything, I'd say that your idea that it isn't in cold-start mode is more closely related to speculation than what I said. Every turbo 6 BMW sounds like this on cold start regardless of number of turbos (N54/N55) and frankly I'd say the N55 actually sounds a little more like a tractor on cold start than the N54.

Different turbos has nothing to do with it...in fact, the larger turbos on the M3 would actually make it louder as the smaller turbine wheels and housings on the lesser engines help muffler it more. Same thing with the exhaust. It is lower restriction and louder...again which makes it very gravel-y sounding on cold-start.

Reasons it is almost certainly in cold start:
1. Condensation is coming out of the exhaust when he revs a little. Only happens with a cold exhaust system and cold motor. Plus he is indoors and it wouldn't be prudent to let it idle until it warmed up.
2. Sounds exactly like cold start on an N54/N55 when it drops back to idle.
3. BMW has stated they are trying to make the M motors closer to regular production motors for economy of scale. This cold start routine works well and has been implemented across every other turbo 6 in their lineup.