04-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #32
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboost View Post
Ok thanks for the response! It seems as though many including yourself have never had a issue. That being said it would be nice to see the engineering reason for the flex section.

I know when a factory engineer designs something there is usually a reason behind it. I agree many have not had any issues without a flex pipe but the S55 is also using 2 instead of 1 downpipe that are side by side and there may be more of a benefit but I certainly do not know as I am not a engineer.

I think time will tell how the solid pipes work out for those that have them. But I don't think anyone truly knows on this platform just because they have done solid downpipes on others. Just my 2 cents, again not arguing just talking out loud. Regardless any mods are considered do at your own risk.
The Flex section is needed due to the heat caused by the catalytic converter that will gets red hot and expand/weaken the pipes, while with engine movement, the flex pipe will help reducing the stress on that red hot expanded/weakened pipes.
While, on the catless, the pipe will not get as red hot as the catted one since no hot gas or excess fuel got trapped.

As why it uses 2 downpipe instead of 1, that is because there is 2 turbo's in the car. Downpipe is a pipe connecting the turbo to the exhaust pipes. True you can design it with 1 downpipe, but it will have 2 inlet pipes that need to be connected to the 2 turbo's. Also, by designing them in 1 pipe, it will put more stress and difficulty on aligning the pipes during installation, and more restrictive for putting the collective pipes to close to the turbo.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0