View Single Post
      12-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #51
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

If only people realized how important weight is... HP is "only" good for acceleration, weight matters both for braking energy/distance and handling! Low weight was sexy to Lotus founder Colin Chapman, he knew what it took to create a fun car

But I guess this thread isn't about volume of replies, but more of a reference where the info can be referenced to/looked up etc. Instead of searching the net every time

I have edited the OP, any other suggestions on how to improve it?

Solstice: Note that I have added some info to the X5/Cayenne comparison in the OP. Agree on the added info?
Yes, thanks.
A suggestion though would be to start the thread with just the standards and terminology used by the manufacturers currently with a brief description. Something like this:

Weigth standards currently used by BMW and other German brands on their official web sites.

Germany:
1. Leergewicht EU ( Car with 90% fuel, 68kg driver, 7kg luggage )
2. Leergewicht DIN ( Car with 90% fuel, no driver, no luggage )

USA:
1. Curb weight ( Inconsistent reporting, with or without driver, unknown and inconsistent equipment level ).

Recommendation:
Use the European standards for apples to apples comparison. For cars that lack European weights further research is needed to determine the content of "Curb weight".
Appreciate 0