10-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #26
TanzaniteBlue
BMWphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & FCA! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
I am not a expert on that but when the OP stated WOT in 6 & 7th he has to be at low RPM's do the motor is struggling to hit its load targets I would assume. I mean doing a 5th gear pull to redline is in the upper 150's...

Re-post from 2015 to get an idea but we all know the car cant go that fast.....

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1202690

DCT @ 7600rpm
1st = 35mph
2nd = 65mph
3rd = 99mph
4th = 132mph
5th=168mph (167mph - U.S. cars stop speed governor BUT given speedo it's not 100% accurate, any guesses on "real" speed?)
6th=199mph (189mph - stock top speed drag limited BUT given speedo it's not 100% accurate, any guesses on "real" speed?)7th = 251mph
Yes low RPMs 2200-2500. 72-85 mph range. It has no issues hitting full boost in 6th or 7th on the highway. Downshifting is simply not necessary.
Don't know about others, but my speedometer is 2 mph above GPS at highway speed, and 2-3~ mph higher than GPS at autobahn speeds. I did a 182 mph run a couple years ago and the GPS both on my phone and dashcam fluttered between 179 and 180 mph. Our speedos are scary accurate. Stock the limiter would engage at 166 mph indicated 163 mph GPS. Actual top speed without a limiter is around 195 mph drag limited. You have to remember autobahns are not totally flat, plus that old video could've been shot when it was extremely hot out, who knows? I saw an old video of a stock comp pack in South Korea hitting 318 km/h. And Stage 1 is 100~ whp more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demxsr View Post
This happens to me in 3rd-7th WOT down low between around 2-3.5k RPM I think. It happens if I upshift and am WOT and the RPMs land in that range or if I roll into in that range from that gear. I believe the OP said this is what he was experiencing too. I don't think it ever happens in 1st or 2nd since the car gears through that RPM range so fast in those gears. If I'm above that rev range it doesn't happen.
That is exactly what I'm getting. If I land in that RPM range after a shift it'll flutter or whatever it is. And then successive pulls in the same gear will do it too.
v9.1 was supposed to fix this supposed surge. Guess it didn't. And they haven't updated the map in over a year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
You know WOT in 6th and 7th is really moving up there.... you might be pushing the limits of the turbo. At what RPM are you at when your engaging full boost? Why not try some dedicated 5th gear pulls 2k to redline. Single gear no shift and see if it occurs. Log the run and review. Then go from there.......

I know the old JB4 used to surge horribly trying to search boost target but the flash has been much more stable. Log it then submit ticket......

Also sounds like you have moved on with the R35 order...... just don't sweat the so called surge and wait for the GTR and enjoy
Keeping both is possible as work is insane and will be for a long time. However, the way BMW is treating tuning and long time customers, plus the blatant disregard for what us enthusiasts wanted with the abomination that the G80 is....it's hard for me to want to continue. They're not quite at the level Mitsubishi stooped to with the Evo though. It is nice that my dealer does not mind tuning. My fear is if something breaks before 4 years/50k I'll be screwed. I have a MaximumPSI crank hub, installed by MaxPSI/Bimmerclinic themselves, so that's one thing thats safe. And my charge cooler fluid level hasn't changed since day one....

Last edited by TanzaniteBlue; 10-07-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0