01-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #174
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
From what I've read, the newer MCT does a lot to close the gap that existed between the original 7G-Tronic with AMG Speedshift and a modern DCT.

But I definitely agree that the DCT is a key part of the M3 experience and I would not be eager to go back to a traditional planetary automatic, even with the wet clutch. I've never owned a car with such a transmission - only manual and DCT. So it definitely warrants a test drive. In fact I will be comparing the transmissions in the 435i, C400, M4, and C AMG regardless of whether the latter ends up with a DCT or not. I want to understand exactly how each rates on the overall scale.
Well I have some experience with the Mercedes MCT and I can tell you firsthand it is in a different league than BMW's DCT. And not in a good way.

In driving the 2014 E63, the main problem you notice with that transmission experience is that from the time you press the shift paddle to the time the tranny shifts, a shocking amount of time elapses. Far, far more than the DCT. For example, from a dead stop, I can start in manual mode, floor the gas pedal, and immediately pulled the shift paddle but I still hit the rev limiter in 1st. That car can't be launched in manual mode simply because it takes to long to process inputs from the shift paddles.

Shift inputs appear to be regarded as suggestions, to be acted on at some point in the future.

Also, the actual shift, once the tranny actually decides to shift, is softer than it is on the DCT. Shifting the DCT at level 6 with your foot to the floor results in a hard slam in the back on my M3. If traction control is off, it completely unsettles the car in the 1-2 shift. The MCT is more like a firm shift, definitely not a slam in the back and definitely won't unsettle the car.

But apart from these two factors, and apart from the fact that the Mercedes creeps at idle, unlike the DCT, it's basically not possible to tell the DCT apart from the MCT through driving, in my view.

Launch control on the E63/MCT is extremely effective.

Pat
Appreciate 0