ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-24-2024, 11:23 AM   #1
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Sparco seat and a seat belt question

I had a shop install a Sparco carbon bucket seat. The problem is that the seat hip bolsters are pretty high and the seat belt receptacle is sort of wedged between the seat and the center console making it hard to buckle the seat belt. There is no easy way to route the seat belt through the slot in the seat because the receptacle is higher than the slot. Has anyone used some after market receptacle so that it will be easier to use the right hand slot?

Also, does anyone know about after market cables that will tell the car that the seat belt is in to avoid coding out restraint system errors?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 12:31 PM   #2
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

I have roughly the same issue as you in my E46M. Have 6 point and oem for streets.
Bought several "seatbelt extenders" to try and gain the precious 1/2 inch I needed. Tried 3-4 sizes and buckle variants. None of which really cured the issue. The buckle adapters were always so cumbersome it was a mess. Things didnt sit as anticipated. Felt like adapter hell on laptop fishing it all around. Sorta gave up.
If you just wanted to go over the top easier. (i know it isnt the safest) The extenders would make it easier and work. Going through the slot was what I was going for.

On a OMP WRC XL and BK mount with oem tensioner installed.

Following thread for more ideas
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Bimmerworld TA5R 18" 10.5, RE71RS 295, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, PFC 08, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 12:57 PM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I just slotted the seatbelt thru the hole and then clicked it into the receptacle - two steps, not one. Seems awkward at first, but once you do it a couple times it's pretty quick and easy.
      05-24-2024, 01:22 PM   #4
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

My buckle doesnt thread through
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Bimmerworld TA5R 18" 10.5, RE71RS 295, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, PFC 08, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 02:43 PM   #5
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I just slotted the seatbelt thru the hole and then clicked it into the receptacle - two steps, not one. Seems awkward at first, but once you do it a couple times it's pretty quick and easy.
I can pull the belt through the slot and then insert into the buckle, but then there is so much friction on the belt that it becomes almost impossible to tighten it across the hips.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 02:45 PM   #6
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

I wonder if something like this https://oemseatbelts.com/collections...flexible-cable could work. The buckle can then be inside the seat, and the flexible base would go through the slot and attach to the seat. I'll work with Carbahn Auto to see if some sensible solution can be found.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 02:55 PM   #7
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
I can pull the belt through the slot and then insert into the buckle, but then there is so much friction on the belt that it becomes almost impossible to tighten it across the hips.
This is true - you'll need to relieve pressure on the the belt by pushing down on it to be able to tighten it since the belt itself gets caught on the upper part of the hole. Not perfect, I know but that's how I was running it for the last year.
      05-24-2024, 08:13 PM   #8
b_w.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ST F80 M3 GT More 6 SPD, F90 C

I went with the cobra nogaros for that reason. Not the best track seat but works with 3 points as well as harnesses
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2024, 09:40 PM   #9
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
I had a shop install a Sparco carbon bucket seat. The problem is that the seat hip bolsters are pretty high and the seat belt receptacle is sort of wedged between the seat and the center console making it hard to buckle the seat belt. There is no easy way to route the seat belt through the slot in the seat because the receptacle is higher than the slot. Has anyone used some after market receptacle so that it will be easier to use the right hand slot?

Also, does anyone know about after market cables that will tell the car that the seat belt is in to avoid coding out restraint system errors?

Thanks.
Thought:

Unbolt the driver side receiver from the seat mount but leave it connected to the wiring harness. Get a spare insert buckle and click it on. Tuck these these two between the seat. This will eliminate the lights vs coding.

Remove one of the soft webbing receivers from rear seat and assuming it’s long enough you can likely route it through the slot. Note with this arrangement you loose the pyrotechnic mechanism in the event of a crash.

I assume you already routed tbe lap end through the outside seat slot? Also to protect the bolstering it’s worth getting a recaro side bolster protector from EBay.
      05-28-2024, 10:33 AM   #10
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Thought:

Unbolt the driver side receiver from the seat mount but leave it connected to the wiring harness. Get a spare insert buckle and click it on. Tuck these these two between the seat. This will eliminate the lights vs coding.

Remove one of the soft webbing receivers from rear seat and assuming it’s long enough you can likely route it through the slot. Note with this arrangement you loose the pyrotechnic mechanism in the event of a crash.

I assume you already routed tbe lap end through the outside seat slot? Also to protect the bolstering it’s worth getting a recaro side bolster protector from EBay.
Good idea about playing around with the driver seat module.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 09:42 AM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I bought two different extenders and one of them works great. I much prefer to have the seatbelt 'inside' the seat than running up outside it
Appreciate 1
DRLane4058.50
      05-31-2024, 03:43 PM   #12
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I bought two different extenders and one of them works great. I much prefer to have the seatbelt 'inside' the seat than running up outside it
Do you have a link? Is it a rigid or a flexible extender? My local shop is recommending to take a BMW the rear seat belt receptacle and just bolt it to the seat. Then the belt can be routed through the slot, so that the seat belt correctly goes through the slots.

I also have it on good authority that the shoulder part of the driver seatbelt will activate the explosive charge even if there is no wiring connected to the lower part of the receptacle.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 08:44 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a link? Is it a rigid or a flexible extender? My local shop is recommending to take a BMW the rear seat belt receptacle and just bolt it to the seat. Then the belt can be routed through the slot, so that the seat belt correctly goes through the slots.

I also have it on good authority that the shoulder part of the driver seatbelt will activate the explosive charge even if there is no wiring connected to the lower part of the receptacle.
It's exactly like a seat belt, only really short.

https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com...belt-extender/
The 7in flexible version. It's always connected to the car as it's hard to connect.
Item 5s7bl
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 08:09 AM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

I was able to snap a photo so you see what it looks like
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-07-2024, 12:56 PM   #15
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, '25 Taycan4S, E46

this picture had me ROLLING
Attached Images

08-12-2024, 11:33 AM   #16
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Thought:

Connecting the driver side receiver from the seat to the wiring harness in the floor doesn't solve the restraint system warning since seat airbags are missing. Also, the pyrotechnic mechanism for the seat belt does work even if all of the wiring is disconnected below the seat.
Appreciate 1
DRLane4058.50
      08-12-2024, 12:25 PM   #17
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

After adjusting the seat up a bit, I found out that I can slide the buckle through the seat slot if I angle it. The main annoying bit is now unbuckling as the button is not easily accessible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 01:46 PM   #18
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Connecting the driver side receiver from the seat to the wiring harness in the floor doesn't solve the restraint system warning since seat airbags are missing. Also, the pyrotechnic mechanism for the seat belt does work even if all of the wiring is disconnected below the seat.
Yes you’ll have to code out airbags regardless, I was referring to eliminating the icon / warning.

Good to know regarding pyrotechnics being retained. Maybe they’re also tied to crash sensors.