Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I N55

MST Intake Install Issue

Hi Everyone, I just installed the MST intakes on my F80 that I bought from a forum member. Initially as soon as I first got into the car and drove for a test drive I thought the sound of the intakes was very moderate, almost quiet - more than stock. I had a turner open intake on my F30 and it was way more aggressive sounding than this. Regardless, that's not the real problem. I took it for a spin on the highway and the car feels sluggish, like I'm missing power. My boost gauge is also reading a decrease in boost. I'm stock so I normally boost like 19.5lbs, tonight after install - 14.5, max 16 lbs.
Anyone have any idea what the problem can be? Also I feel like I only hear the slight "Whooshing" from one of the filters.
Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Yes a leak at one of your connections.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 12:40 AM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of connection points on the MST intake.

Go back and tighten everything down with a bit more force. Check that the silicone connectors are fitting where they should be and that there isn't some overlap or something causing a leak.

I'm surprised you are not getting maf sensor codes… must be a leak pre-maf sensor around the filters.

Also you may want to use a little bit of lube around the maf sensor O rings so they seal properly and don't get pitched when reinstalling. Install the bolts to the maf sensors on each side alternating sides when tightening so it's flush.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

+1 for what Kitty said about greasing the o-rings good.

Also do a Reset Adaptations in BM3 since the DME may be seeing more air than it remembers and is holding back. After the Reset go drive each individual gear easily, then moderate, then hard…to re-learn the DME airflow profile. Make sure you're running great gas…or +2gal E85 to a full tank of gas.