GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
Flint Rockbone
Pilot of the Caribbean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

PPF Coverage Question

My recently applied PPF is peeling back in a small area under the bumper just above the front lip. Upon further inspection, I noticed that in this area (and the same area on the passenger side) the PPF does not extend fully aft (towards the inner/lower part of the bumper). The PPF covers roughly half of this area, leaving the inner-half exposed.

I assumed the PPF would cover every square inch of the front of the car. This is the first time I've had this on a car so I'd like to get some opinions. Obviously I'll be contacting the installer to have them fix the issue in the picture, but should I raise a concern about the PPF not fully covering the lower part of the bumper? Can anyone who has PPF on their car check this area to see how far back the film is actually installed?
Attached Images

G30 M550i
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

ppf is very installer dependent. not a fan of how the guy did yours. looks similar to when i had my 335 and 458 done. a good place will make so you can't even tell its there; no cut marks and everything is tucked. gotta find a place that has one of those machines that will print out a perfect piece of ppf

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Bring it back to the installer who did it for you, it's a poor job. Tell them to redo the install.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 11:53 PM   #4
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rockbone View Post
My recently applied PPF is peeling back in a small area under the bumper just above the front lip. Upon further inspection, I noticed that in this area (and the same area on the passenger side) the PPF does not extend fully aft (towards the inner/lower part of the bumper). The PPF covers roughly half of this area, leaving the inner-half exposed.

I assumed the PPF would cover every square inch of the front of the car. This is the first time I've had this on a car so I'd like to get some opinions. Obviously I'll be contacting the installer to have them fix the issue in the picture, but should I raise a concern about the PPF not fully covering the lower part of the bumper? Can anyone who has PPF on their car check this area to see how far back the film is actually installed?
definitely bring it back. Usually most pro shops will schedule you for a post-install follow up to iron out imperfections. F8x front bumpers appears to be one of the toughest to ppf.

Here's my CS for some reference. Not the best but it's rolled in about an inch inwards. There appears to be a split cut like /\ on the film for the center grille in order to sit flush. Yours looks a bit extended.
Attached Images

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
Flint Rockbone
Pilot of the Caribbean
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3forRay View Post
definitely bring it back. Usually most pro shops will schedule you for a post-install follow up to iron out imperfections. F8x front bumpers appears to be one of the toughest to ppf.

Here's my CS for some reference. Not the best but it's rolled in about an inch inwards. There appears to be a split cut like /\ on the film for the center grille in order to sit flush. Yours looks a bit extended.
This is what I'm curious about. The area in question is directly center in your pic (I think it would be the inlet for brake cooling ducts on the GT4 cars). How far in does the PPF cover? Mine is roughly half the distance.
G30 M550i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:

This time of year; getting PPF to hold in cooler climates is more difficult.

They should of kept your car in a very warm room or suggested you keep the car in a heated garage for a few days.

Sounds crazy but that's what an installer instructed me to do...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:
This is what I'm curious about. The area in question is directly center in your pic (I think it would be the inlet for brake cooling ducts on the GT4 cars). How far in does the PPF cover? Mine is roughly half the distance.
yep - same distance as mine. The difference i see from yours is that it extends towards the center grille so it creates that extra film hanging.

This is where they cut the film on mine. You can clearly see the lines from my pix above
Attached Images

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Depending on the shop, they might just replace that piece or just trim it and leave it as is. That has been my experience.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Front ends are complicated and there are flaws to most methods, then add weed.

I’ve got a spot that peeled back probably 1/2mm from where some big ass bug hit on the edge of my front fender.

Last edited by Suds; 12-23-2020 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #10
Flint Rockbone
Pilot of the Caribbean
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:

They should of kept your car in a very warm room or suggested you keep the car in a heated garage for a few days.

It was applied in August, but they did say the Sun would help, so I'm sure the heat does have something to do with it.
G30 M550i
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #11
Flint Rockbone
Pilot of the Caribbean
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3forRay View Post
Quote:
yep - same distance as mine. The difference i see from yours is that it extends towards the center grille so it creates that extra film hanging.

This is where they cut the film on mine. You can clearly see the lines from my pix above
Right on. Thanks for the info.
G30 M550i
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:

It was applied in August, but they did say the Sun would help, so I'm sure the heat does have something to do with it.
Okay cool...

Hope they sort it out for you

👍🏾
Appreciate 1