Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Oofie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 FR-S

Question Another ED question. When to order?

I will be returning my current lease around September of next year but already planning on getting a MY17 M3 to replace it.

Since I will have a car until September 2017, I wanted to get an ED 2017 M3 as late as possible. So the question is, when will dealerships stop accepting orders for 2017 cars? Just looking at a rough estimate so I can start planning for next year.

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Oofie; 09-12-2016 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
EOP for MY17 F80's is June 2017. You can probably schedule an MY17 ED anytime in July. If you want the new car re-delivered before you return the current lease, then you'll need to plan for that....it's 10+ weeks to the west coast from dropoff.

Also keep in mind that M3 allocation are hard to come by compared to M4's. You'll want to plan for that, too as it might take a bit more effort to get one and meet your preferred delivery date.

Cheers,
      09-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
Oofie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
EOP for MY17 F80's is June 2017. You can probably schedule an MY17 ED anytime in July. If you want the new car re-delivered before you return the current lease, then you'll need to plan for that....it's 10+ weeks to the west coast from dropoff.

Also keep in mind that M3 allocation are hard to come by compared to M4's. You'll want to plan for that, too as it might take a bit more effort to get one and meet your preferred delivery date.

Cheers,
Thanks for the reply.

Another reason why I want the previous MY is that rates tend to be more favorable since it's they'll soon be replaced by the new MY car.

About the M3 allocation - that will be tricky on top of being in California. I might have to look for dealers in Oregon or even Washington to get something reasonable. I'll probably start emailing dealers late Feb / early March to get the last MY2017 cars next year.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
M P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 LSB M3

It isn't always 10+ weeks to the west coast. I was expecting 10-12 weeks, but I dropped my car off in Munich on June 2nd and picked it up from dealer in Tacoma, WA on July 27th. It even spent a week at the VPC getting the front bumper replaced as I scraped the bottom in Europe. So theoretically, it could be a little as 7 weeks if the stars align...
      09-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #5
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M P View Post
It isn't always 10+ weeks to the west coast. I was expecting 10-12 weeks, but I dropped my car off in Munich on June 2nd and picked it up from dealer in Tacoma, WA on July 27th. It even spent a week at the VPC getting the front bumper replaced as I scraped the bottom in Europe. So theoretically, it could be a little as 7 weeks if the stars align...
They definitely aligned for you... you scored big with logistics lottery

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Priority one will be finding a dealership you want to work with. From there, ensure that they consistently receive M3 allocations. You can place an order whenever you wish with the dealer. They can enter it into the order bank without assigning an allocation until the timing is right. In order to hit the marks you're looking to, it sounds like you would want a June allocation. In my experience, the ideal time to get the order in is 4-5 months beforehand. Since you have such a specific desire for a very late build, you might want to start the process a little earlier to ensure you get an allocation. If a promised allocation doesn't materialize, there's no margin for error or putting it off for the next month.

Regarding the time between production and ED delivery I wouldn't be too concerned. My M3 was produced in late January for an early April delivery. On the flip side, my F30 335i was produced two weeks before my pick-up back in 2012. The number one factor in your scenario is the June allocation.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
M P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 LSB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
They definitely aligned for you... you scored big with logistics lottery

Cheers,
Don't I know it! It was like everything clicked. On the boat after only 2 days in Bremerhaven, not many stops along to way to CA. It just worked out great. I had been expecting mid to late August.
      09-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oofie View Post
I will be returning my current lease around September of next year but already planning on getting a MY17 M3 to replace it.

Since I will have a car until September 2017, I wanted to get an ED 2017 M3 as late as possible. So the question is, when will dealerships stop accepting orders for 2017 cars? Just looking at a rough estimate so I can start planning for next year.
Dealers will stop accepting custom build orders for 2017 cars when they will have used up all their production allocations for MY17 builds (last cars roll out in June'17). Give the lag time before submitting a build and locking it in, it will be some time in April/May '17. You will still be able to grab a dealer-speced car off their lots well into late 2017, or however long it takes to clear the inventory.

Why not make your next ED be a MY18 car ?!!

The timing pretty much requires that, unless you are willing to run the gauntlet required to secure one of the last possible MY17 ED deliveries in June/July time-frame.

To accomplish that, you would need to hunt for a dealership that will have a mid-June production allocation for your M3/4. The challenge with that is that you wont know ahead of time which dealerships that will be, as allocations are handed out on a 2-3 month advance basis. So you won't be able to secure a deal that includes both price and time of delivery until around April of 2017. Note - many dealers will try to have commit to a deal with a promise that they might get an allocation, but that will all be empty air until they actually get a June production slot in April/May of '17.

Therefore, proactively securing a June production date at a favorable price will impossible until Spring of 17. And if the dealer sniffs out that you have a time constraint and that their production slot is your only option, any negotiation leverage on pricing will go right out the window...

a
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Dealers will stop accepting custom build orders for 2017 cars when they will have used up all their production allocations for MY17 builds (last cars roll out in June'17). Give the lag time before submitting a build and locking it in, it will be some time in April/May '17. You will still be able to grab a dealer-speced car off their lots well into late 2017, or however long it takes to clear the inventory.

Why not make your next ED be a MY18 car ?!!

The timing pretty much requires that, unless you are willing to run the gauntlet required to secure one of the last possible MY17 ED deliveries in June/July time-frame.

To accomplish that, you would need to hunt for a dealership that will have a mid-June production allocation for your M3/4. The challenge with that is that you wont know ahead of time which dealerships that will be, as allocations are handed out on a 2-3 month advance basis. So you won't be able to secure a deal that includes both price and time of delivery until around April of 2017. Note - many dealers will try to have commit to a deal with a promise that they might get an allocation, but that will all be empty air until they actually get a June production slot in April/May of '17.

Therefore, proactively securing a June production date at a favorable price will impossible until Spring of 17. And if the dealer sniffs out that you have a time constraint and that their production slot is your only option, any negotiation leverage on pricing will go right out the window...

a
Bear in mind that the allocation game is not 100% black and white. There are always exceptions. Unbeknownst to us, my friend and I placed orders for ED M3s within days of each other (Individual composition no less). We both use the same CA, so it was pretty interesting when he assumed I was pulling his chain when I just showed up without an appointment to order and M3. When he realized I was serious and not joking around he told me about my friend's order (I truly had no clue he had finally pulled the trigger). As soon as I found out, I reached out to my friend and we decided to make an adventure out of it and request a co-delivery at the Welt on the same day. Our dealer only had a single allocation immediately available, but the owner was able to make a call to BMWNA to secure an extra allocation so they could support the double order and, even better, schedule them back to back so they were not only built on the same day but they have sequential VINs. It was obviously in BMW's best interest to extend the favor, but I think it happens more often than anyone realizes with dealers that have clout and/or move a decent quota of M-branded product every year.

At the end of the day, the OP simply needs to identify a dealership that suits him and start a dialogue. It doesn't have to be a cat and mouse game. All dealers aren't looking to empty every last penny out of your pockets before you leave the showroom. I don't think what he's looking to achieve is impossible. He just needs to be very deliberate in his discussions and planning.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
^ This!
      09-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #11
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

It was almost 11 weeks for my M3 to WC. You can extend your lease up to 6 months, but don't have to use all 6 months, just call each month and they extend, but if you don't want 2 payments. I would shoot for June/July. Email dealers and say you want a European delivery M3. Generally a good dealer will recommend or the email department will specialize in this.

There are CA's on this site that are no nonsense and can get you what you need.

Good luck, ED is a total blast, worth the long wait and the extra payment if you have to.
Appreciate 0