R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP

CS vs ZCP with CS tune

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm hoping someone with first hand experience can share their thoughts and impressions.

For those of you that have driven a ZCP with bootmod3 CS tune (not CS+ or other OTS map) how does it compare to an authentic CS?

What are similarities and differences around town driving and highway driving?

Does it matter if in efficient, sport, or sport +?

Aside from the cosmetic and few other part differences between a ZCP and CS it appears the biggest difference is how BMW tuned the two cars. How close is the driving experience of a ZCP with CS tune to an authentic CS? Is it so close that someone torn between the two might choose a ZCP with CS tune because of more flexibility in color combos and added convenience features (warranty aside)?
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Throttle mapping will be the biggest, and only real notable, difference

No tuner has been able to completely 100% provide oe like driveability, some are much closer than others
Appreciate 1
Spiff7115.00
      01-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I'd say there is very little "cosmetic" difference between a CS and a CP. The vast majority of changes are performance enhancements. The CF front lip and deck lid spoiler (Gurney flap) are lightweight and aerodynamically functional and, in conjunction with the vented hood, result in the car having net downforce compared the the non-CS that have net lift. The hood contributes to the downforce, improves engine cooling and is significantly lighter than the aluminum one. The 763M wheels are significantly lighter than the 437M and 666M. The only exterior "cosmetic" is probably the CF diffuser (I doubt it has much aerodynamic impact).

In the interior, the single zone climate system, lower-end sound system (M4cs only), modified center console and unique doorcards (M4cs only) all contribute to reduce weight. The alcantara seat inserts (M4cs only) hold hold you much better in place and the alcantara steering is a pleasure to hold in your hands. The only interior "cosmetics" are the alcantara dash inserts and ///M stripe on the headrests.

The electronics (EDC, ABS, DSC, EPS and e-diff) as well as the suspension components (from a different mix) have all been tuned and optimized for R-compound tires.

So you need more than just an engine tune to make a CP perform and feel like a CS.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-27-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 5
      01-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #4
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I'd say there is very little "cosmetic" difference between a CS and a CP. The vast majority of changes are performance enhancements. The CF front lip and deck lid spoiler (Gurney flap) are lightweight and aerodynamically functional and, in conjunction with the vented hood, result in the car having net downforce compared the the non-CS that has net lift. The hood contributes to the downforce, improves engine cooling and is significantly lighter than the aluminum one. The 763M wheels are significantly lighter than the 437M and 666M. The only exterior "cosmetic" is the CF diffuser.

In the interior, the single zone climate system, lower-end sound system (M4cs only), modified center console and doorcards (M4cs only) all contribute to reduce weight. The alcantara seat inserts (M4cs only) hold hold you much better in place and the alcantara steering is a pleasure to hold in your hands. The only interior "cosmetics" are the alcantara dash inserts and ///M stripe on the headrests.

The electronics (EDC, ABS, DSC, EPS and e-diff) have all been tuned and optimized for R-compound tires.

So you need more than just an engine tune to make a CP perform and feel like a CS.
Really appreciate the detailed response. How do you know so much about all this?! I've read many of your thorough and knowledge posts throughout the forum. You are an asset to the community. Thank you!
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post

No tuner has been able to completely 100% provide oe like driveability, some are much closer than others
Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:19 AM   #6
Dogz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus

Quote:
I'd say there is very little "cosmetic" difference between a CS and a CP. The vast majority of changes are performance enhancements. The CF front lip and deck lid spoiler (Gurney flap) are lightweight and aerodynamically functional and, in conjunction with the vented hood, result in the car having net downforce compared the the non-CS that has net lift. The hood contributes to the downforce, improves engine cooling and is significantly lighter than the aluminum one. The 763M wheels are significantly lighter than the 437M and 666M. The only exterior "cosmetic" is the CF diffuser.

In the interior, the single zone climate system, lower-end sound system (M4cs only), modified center console and doorcards (M4cs only) all contribute to reduce weight. The alcantara seat inserts (M4cs only) hold hold you much better in place and the alcantara steering is a pleasure to hold in your hands. The only interior "cosmetics" are the alcantara dash inserts and ///M stripe on the headrests.

The electronics (EDC, ABS, DSC, EPS and e-diff) have all been tuned and optimized for R-compound tires.

This
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff7 View Post
Really appreciate the detailed response. How do you know so much about all this?! I've read many of your thorough and knowledge posts throughout the forum. You are an asset to the community. Thank you!
I am glad you appreciate my contributions to the community. I've learned a lot through this forum and I am happy when I can give back.

I like to make informed decisions, so I made a fair bit of research before going into the CS. Further, I read a lot of German publications, that tend to go much deeper in the technical details compared to US and UK publications. I get a lot of information from there.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
M3OW!373.00
M3vk23328.50
Spiff7115.00
      01-26-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post

How noticeable of a difference in your opinion?
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

Quote:
I'd say there is very little "cosmetic" difference between a CS and a CP. The vast majority of changes are performance enhancements. The CF front lip and deck lid spoiler (Gurney flap) are lightweight and aerodynamically functional and, in conjunction with the vented hood, result in the car having net downforce compared the the non-CS that has net lift. The hood contributes to the downforce, improves engine cooling and is significantly lighter than the aluminum one. The 763M wheels are significantly lighter than the 437M and 666M. The only exterior "cosmetic" is probably the CF diffuser (I doubt it has much aerodynamic impact).

In the interior, the single zone climate system, lower-end sound system (M4cs only), modified center console and unique doorcards (M4cs only) all contribute to reduce weight. The alcantara seat inserts (M4cs only) hold hold you much better in place and the alcantara steering is a pleasure to hold in your hands. The only interior "cosmetics" are the alcantara dash inserts and ///M stripe on the headrests.

The electronics (EDC, ABS, DSC, EPS and e-diff) as well as the suspension components (from a different mix) have all been tuned and optimized for R-compound tires.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

This reminds me of the old, I can make my 335i better than an M3 by adding some bits.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:30 AM   #11
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
This reminds me of the old, I can make my 335i better than an M3 by adding some bits.
Not just some bits but a lot of bits lol. After I redid the entire suspension on my 335is (replaced just about everything with track oriented parts including aluminum subframe bushings), it definitely gets me to 90% of where my F80 is with some added comfort (the F80 is still stiffer and less comfortable overall).

However, there is something to be said about buying a stock vehicle and it being just right out of the box that is satisfying. Modding is fun but I can’t see myself doing it forever since it takes so much time, energy and can become frustrating at times.

In retrospect, if I had the option to buy a CS and “set it and forget it”, I’d go that route. The premium is to save the time and headache of researching the next mod
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #12
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Ah, no. This isn't like that at all. Those people mean 'faster' in a straight line.

The M3CS and M3Z are both M3s....same platform, sharing vast majority of parts. Motor, cooling, trans, driveshafts, diff, subframes, control arms, links, bushings, mounts, brakes, bearings, etc,etc.....oh, and chassis.

A 335 shares almost nothing with an M3. A few body panels and interior bits and that's about it. Completely different machines.

But I get what you mean

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4

Last edited by EricSMG; 01-29-2019 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
Spiff7115.00
FSociety3816.50
      01-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #13
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
There were quite a few M3 and M3 comp owners making similar statement's when the CS model was introduced. I've gone down the mod it road with a few cars in my time. Its a lot of time , effort and money to get a lower model up to top performance spec. And you never quite get there it seems. And costly mistakes can be made along the way. Ask me how I know.

But yea..BMW sure was proud of the CS price wise. Not the value package car for sure but I pulled the trigger anyway because frankly I've grown tired of modding and wanted my warranty to remain intact.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #14
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Quote:
There were quite a few M3 and M3 comp owners making similar statement's when the CS model was introduced. I've gone down the mod it road with a few cars in my time. Its a lot of time , effort and money to get a lower model up to top performance spec. And you never quite get there it seems. And costly mistakes can be made along the way. Ask me how I know.

But yea..BMW sure was proud of the CS price wise. Not the value package car for sure but I pulled the trigger anyway because frankly I've grown tired of modding and wanted my warranty to remain intact.
CS isn't that dramatically different from a base than M3 to regular 3.

CS is just software tweak on engine and chassis, plus revised interior and hood/lip/spoiler and wheel.

CS value is the feeling of the exclusivity out of these revisions. You won't be remotely able to get the special model feeling inside and out thru aftermarket parts.

Let's be realistic. What doesn't matter is lapping the ring a few secs quicker, what does is that you have a special car.
      01-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #15
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Quote:

CS isn't that dramatically different from a base than M3 to regular 3.

CS is just software tweak on engine and chassis, plus revised interior and hood/lip/spoiler and wheel.

CS value is the feeling of the exclusivity out of these revisions. You won't be remotely able to get the special model feeling inside and out thru aftermarket parts.

Let's be realistic. What doesn't matter is lapping the ring a few secs quicker, what does is that you have a special car.
Yes And Yes! That's it! Thank you for putting into words something I have not been able to. When I first got it I was trying to justify (to myself and others) the big price hike over an M3 Comp and mainly with the tangible things you listed. Then a member responded yes, but ARE YOU GOING TO TRACK IT? . The answer was probably not. Maybe once or twice to say I did. It made me think tho.... why then did I buy a CS . :

The extra performance and handling is nice but I'll never be able to drive the car even close to its limits. But when I look at that bad ass thing in my garage, and sit in it and look at the special interior and the CS specific seats and that CS logo notched into the dash it gives me a feeling that's hard to explain AND hard to put a price tag on. "Exclusivity" is a word that has impacted my choice of cars more than once. You nailed it 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #16
wreckedbam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 F82(6MT) 20 M4CS

I have a 16 manual with intake, cold pipe, j pipe, and full cat back exhaust, coil overs, BM3 with aggressive Burbles and a few other mods. I did grab a 2020 M4CS and it handles much better than the 16 with stock suspension or with coilovers. I do really like this car but still have a hard time justifying the price. I think the 16 with the tune is faster for sure. I can't wait to get the CS fully decked out as well then we can really tell who is faster. I do get to drive the 16 still since my wife took it from me bc I do miss driving manual already. I've had the CS a month and have driven 500 miles however the stick is more fun to drive but the DCT is much smoother of a car.
Appreciate 0