BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

05-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #23
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Is there a BMW M that Steve Sutcliffe doesn't put down?
He has liked every BMW he has tested. See the F10 M5 review I posted below.

Just because he doesn't absolutely gush over every attribute of each M car doesn't mean he is biased against a particular car or brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb12 View Post
I agree with you entirely. In fact, I find him the most difficult of the British reviewers to watch or read. He consistently contradicts himself, and makes broad generalizations which often are not true. I tend to watch his reviews just to see the footage, but try and avoid listening to his ramblings.

M
His entire body of work would suggest otherwise. In my opinion, it's unrealistic to think that one particular car is absolutely perfect in this era of fantastic competition between brands. Chris Harris is fun to watch because he makes every car that he drives appear to be the best he's ever driven. I think the only negative review I've watched involved a Mazda Miata.

Also, it's hard to say whether Sutcliffe's criticisms about the new M3 are spot on or rubbish. Only one member has driven the car. The consensus from all the reviews seems to be that the new M3 is fantastic (and perhaps overall, the best M3 yet) but there have been some gripes about the steering feedback (despite the perfect weighting and precision in Sport), the motor's sound, and the throttle response. These nitpicks are hardly surprising given the fairly radical switch to electric steering and the introduction of turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr1zGum View Post
It seems to me that this guy loves any car, but not BMW.
Every time i see his reviews, i always hear something negative about new M3/M4.
Moreover Steve is not credible for me because in M's review he was saying that the car is "absolutely stunning; steering is perfect". In the next video, he was like "New M3/M4's steering is not so good". I can't get it, why you say smth about car and then claim the opposite, going against your own words...
I respectfully disagree. Each time Sutcliffe has reviewed the F80/F82, he's had plenty of great things to say about both.

Also, everything is relative. When driving the M3/M4 in isolation, he found the steering to be good. Ultimately, he just liked the steering on the GTS more. That doesn't necessarily mean that he thinks the steering on the M3 and M4 are poor. The GTS isn't some crappy economy car . . . it's closer to being a purebred "sports car," as opposed to a fast, track-capable grand touring car.

He loves the F10 M5, calling it a "great car" and a "proper lunatic's car."

Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #24
svc0x80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Is there a BMW M that Steve Sutcliffe doesn't put down?
I could care less what Steve Sutcliffe thinks, he's pays too much attention to superficial things like engine sound. I'll take a twin turbo close deck inline 6 over naturally aspirated boxer any day.

Also a fully loaded M4 is cheaper than the fully loaded VW.
Appreciate 0