Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #67
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Wonder how much the dealership would charge for installing this..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #68
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

I wish they'd let us know when the springs will be available, not interested in full coilovers personally! But I'm getting tempted with eibach / ACS springs would rather use oem parts and keep full peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #69
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
I wish they'd let us know when the springs will be available, not interested in full coilovers personally! But I'm getting tempted with eibach / ACS springs would rather use oem parts and keep full peace of mind.
The m4 "coilovers" are not true coilovers. They use the stock EDC shock. Basically just springs with adjustable height. So you'll be good!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #70
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6
When I checked at a main dealer in Hertfordshire mid December the springs were due out in January and the coil overs in March. Coil overs were listed as ?3000 I think the springs were ?1200 ish. Strange how their system listed the price in euros not pounds and I assume that's part price not including fitting. This may be subject to change when released I suppose but that's the clearest info I've found, and I've been asking a lot of dealers when these will be available! Hopefully we will see them hit the shelves in the next few weeks, the springs anyway. One thing the system didn't list was the drop when just installing springs. If it's moderate I may go that route as I don't want the car slammed with all the speed bumps, pillows and stuff we have to deal with here every day.

(Why does the bummerpost iPad app not recognise euro or pound signs, I always get weird symbols in front of the numbers and I look like I'm a moronic bafoon) those prices are euros by the way.
Edit 2: and iPad autocorrect seems to be poking fun at our forum name!
      01-08-2016, 06:57 AM   #71
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
The m4 "coilovers" are not true coilovers. They use the stock EDC shock. Basically just springs with adjustable height. So you'll be good!
Rumor has it that a true coil-over will also be made available over and above the Height Adjustable Springs.

But that still needs to be confirmed.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #72
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
When I checked at a main dealer in Hertfordshire mid December the springs were due out in January and the coil overs in March. Coil overs were listed as ?3000 I think the springs were ?1200 ish. Strange how their system listed the price in euros not pounds and I assume that's part price not including fitting. This may be subject to change when released I suppose but that's the clearest info I've found, and I've been asking a lot of dealers when these will be available! Hopefully we will see them hit the shelves in the next few weeks, the springs anyway. One thing the system didn't list was the drop when just installing springs. If it's moderate I may go that route as I don't want the car slammed with all the speed bumps, pillows and stuff we have to deal with here every day.

(Why does the bummerpost iPad app not recognise euro or pound signs, I always get weird symbols in front of the numbers and I look like I'm a moronic bafoon) those prices are euros by the way.
The press release states 5-25mm for the springs.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #73
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:

The press release states 5-25mm for the springs.
As in 5mm back 25mm front? Or somewhere between 5-25mm all over? 25mm would probably be enough but 5 is a tad pointless imo
      01-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #74
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As in 5mm back 25mm front? Or somewhere between 5-25mm all over? 25mm would probably be enough but 5 is a tad pointless imo
Adjustable between 5-25mm drop front and rear. Those are HAS.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #75
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh yes sorry I know that. What wasn't listed was the spring only drop. Not the height adjustable kit. There are two options showing on the mperformance retail system Spring only and coil over. The drop is only listed for the coil over
      01-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #76
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Rumor has it that a true coil-over will also be made available over and above the Height Adjustable Springs.

But that still needs to be confirmed.
If they would put proper shocks on the car (should be an M standard equipment, as you are paying top dollar for the M), i.e. Magnetic shocks, they wouldn't need to develop a coilover option, only springs.

For an M car , I'm frankly disappointed with the stock shock performance given the technology and available options in today's market.

BMW M division has fallen behind in the shock damping technology. They are using outdated technology and even some budget cars are getting the up-to-date magnetic shock technology.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #77
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

That would equate to about $2500 and $1k or so US. Holy M-tax! Shocks are not even included. I hope the information is not accurate or at the very minimum include more expansive installation or re-tuning of the EDC system, cuz that'd be ridiculous.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #78
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ahh yes sorry I know that. What wasn't listed was the spring only drop. Not the height adjustable kit. There are two options showing on the mperformance retail system Spring only and coil over. The drop is only listed for the coil over
The way I read it is that the HAS are the "spring only". More oriented towards EDC equipped cars.

The rumored coils overs would be true coil-overs with both springs and shocks. But there is no official word from BMW so far that I know of regarding those.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #79
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
That would equate to about $2500 and $1k or so US. Holy M-tax! Shocks are not even included. I hope the information is not accurate or at the very minimum include more expansive installation or re-tuning of the EDC system, cuz that'd be ridiculous.
I am not sure you got your Euro to USD corrections right. 1200Eur=~1300USD and 3000Eur=~3300USD

But even then, if it is $1300USD for the HAS and $3300USD for true coil-overs (with shocks), that is still rather pretty competitive IMO

Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #80
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Oh I misread and was unaware they were coming out with a true, full shock and adjustable spring coilover system.

In that case the pricing seems appropriate for both.

I'm looking to add the HAS system to my stock EDC's, and was afraid it'd be the $2-3k range.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not sure you got your Euro to USD corrections right. 1200Eur=~1300USD and 3000Eur=~3300USD

But even then, if it is $1300USD for the HAS and $3300USD for true coil-overs (with shocks), that is still rather pretty competitive IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #81
Ever.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 MW/SO

Depending on how extreme BMW makes those full coilovers compared to the confirmed HAS they are coming out with, I don't see the point on getting the former. Specially if you have EDC. You're basically doing BMW sleeves with your OEM shock assembly. Warranty intact. Compared to say.... some KW HAS on your stock shocks. Peace of mind, peace of mind, peace of mind.

Here's the pic at SEMA with their sleeve overs installed. To me it's the perfect drop, looked great in person as well. MAYBE drop in some spacers and I'm set. I like having some amount of normal wheel gap. IMO, totally eliminating wheel gaps just looks like you're unable to turn your wheel just for some "hellaflush" look. To each their own though.

Like I said in my previous reply to this thread, after talking to the guys at the booth, they guessed it would be around the same price as Dinan's which at this moment is $1600. Wouldn't make sense to have it greatly differ. But who knows what BMW could do

Last edited by Ever.; 01-09-2016 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #82
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

That's a 20mm drop. I think it looks great and still some what practical. I read that the spring rates are specially designed for the bmw m4 so it's not the exact same setup as the KW HAS.

Q: What are the details of the M4 M Performance Suspension?
A: The M4 M Performance Suspension maintains the factory adaptive EDC function and uses your factory struts to retain adjustability depending on driving experience mode selected (comfort, sport or sport+). It’s paired with stiffer springs and a revised bumpstop tuned for better performance. It comes with an adjustable perch for height adjustability (from 5mm to 25mm drop). The kit is developed in conjunction with KW and it is based on their sleeve-over suspension kit. The difference with the BMW M Performance coilover kit is the M Performance Specific spring rates, bumpstops, and assorted hardware. As with all BMW M Performance Parts, the factory warranty is retained when installed by a trained BMW technician. The springs are manufactured by KW specifically to BMW M’s spring rates and the kit has been tested on a four post rig and fine tuned at the Nurburgring. The reason why retaining EDC function was important is because the take rate on EDC is 70-80% on the M3/M4 in the US.

For your reference, the M4 on the SEMA floor is lowered 20mm.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #83
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

subscribed - interested in hearing about the availability and potentially getting them port installed too prior to taking delivery in February.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #84
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Do you know if they are making this kit for the M3? Or is it the same kit for both cars?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #85
Stevens21234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 + 991.1 GT3

Wouldn't a coil over system invalidate the adjustable m suspension? Perhaps I am not understanding it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:44 AM   #86
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens21234 View Post
Wouldn't a coil over system invalidate the adjustable m suspension? Perhaps I am not understanding it correctly.
Not necessarily. The adjustable part of the suspension in the adaptive suspension is the shock absorber itself. The cars ECU controls the response of the shock absorber electronically in response to current conditions, as detected by sensors attached to the shock, and depending on the mode selected, ie comfort, sport, sport +

The BMW system (and the HAS) keeps the original shocks, but only changes the springs and the ride height. Therefore the electronic control of the adaptive shock is maintained.

What I don't know, and haven't seen any comment on is whether the ECU is reflashed at all, to alter the adaptive control??

Also sounds like BMW is coming out with a full coilover replacement, that will replace the springs and original shocks, but replace them with adaptive compatible shock absorbers.

Bilstein also have a system (B16 damptronic) that replaces spings and shocks, and the shocks are supposed to be adaptive compatible, and controlled by the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:01 AM   #87
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

I'm hoping that they release the availability and pricing for the coil overs soon now that ZCP is officially announced. I don't think there is any connection but perhaps more wishful thinking
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #88
F82bro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZEVO View Post
I'm hoping that they release the availability and pricing for the coil overs soon now that ZCP is officially announced. I don't think there is any connection but perhaps more wishful thinking
I bet there likely will be a connection. The ZCP set up could use the new HAS springs in combination with the adaptive suspension. Or maybe the new coil over set up?
Appreciate 0