R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #1365
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Good luck guys. It did cost me +$200 to have it installed because of the new recommendations from BMW

For the record, 3 days of driving with it now, shocked at how much better the car handles. Definitely stiffer, body roll is much more minimized. Only downside, now I'm finally getting the dreaded squeaking from the door seals.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #1366
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Good luck guys. It did cost me +$200 to have it installed because of the new recommendations from BMW

For the record, 3 days of driving with it now, shocked at how much better the car handles. Definitely stiffer, body roll is much more minimized. Only downside, now I'm finally getting the dreaded squeaking from the door seals.

Wait, you were told the parts were MSRP at $86 and you could have got them for $65 but you paid $200 for them?

Quote:
I guess BMW JUST updated that with this kit you need this hardware.

Jason @ Tischer quoted $86.20 at MSRP for the parts and are offering the additional hardware at a discount of $65.

I'm going to bring this info to my SA this afternoon and see what they want to charge me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #1367
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Quote:

Wait, you were told the parts were MSRP at $86 and you could have got them for $65 but you paid $200 for them?

Quote:

Jason @ Tischer quoted $86.20 at MSRP for the parts and are offering the additional hardware at a discount of $65.

I'm going to bring this info to my SA this afternoon and see what they want to charge me.
No. The parts that are needed to install the kit were $65.

However, BMW just updated the install directions involving the kit and the other nuts and bolts involved with the suspension that needed to removed for install also must be replaced as they are one time torque items. That involves a significant amount of hardware which comes out to about $200.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #1368
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

However, BMW just updated the install directions involving the kit and the other nuts and bolts involved with the suspension that needed to removed for install also must be replaced as they are one time torque items. That involves a significant amount of hardware which comes out to about $200.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to give my BMW SA the heads up when I schedule my install.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #1369
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

What about the people who had the install before the update to use new nuts and bolts and are still on the reused ones
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #1370
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB M4 View Post
What about the people who had the install before the update to use new nuts and bolts and are still on the reused ones
Unknown. My guess, you'll be fine with your current hardware. It would require A LOT of man hours to switch out your old hardware with new stuff. You're not quite completely redoing the install, but it's close.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #1371
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Some more pics, this is obviously the front. They went lower than I wanted. We'll see if I raise it in a bit.
I see you noted the recommended height. Your front looks low but it can easily be the lighting. Love your SSII!

If you look on your alignment sheet, you will see front + rear height measurements for driver and pass sides. It will be in MM's. They have to note it down and they have to get the heights basically aligned side to side or within a few mm's.

You can then reference this with BMW's recommended setup based on wheel size.

Side note: get some spacers, it really completes the package
      05-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #1372
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

They went 20mm in the front and 10mm in back lower than recommended. Too low for me, wasn't going for the slammed look. They are going to have to raise it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #1373
PushinRice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

These are the extra parts on my invoice from the install:

$68.88 with BMWCCA discount

Appreciate 2
      05-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #1374
PushinRice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

What's the best way to check that the software updates were applied?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #1375
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Unknown. My guess, you'll be fine with your current hardware. It would require A LOT of man hours to switch out your old hardware with new stuff. You're not quite completely redoing the install, but it's close.
Let's hope the springs stay on then
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #1376
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
Side note: get some spacers, it really completes the package
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #1377
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Let's hope the springs stay on then
That's funny but I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about that. If there was a true concern, BMW would recall to avoid the possibility of lawsuits that would easily be on them. BMW part + BMW install = no one else to shift blame on other then maybe you which would be a stretch. You should ask about it though just to see if BMW is concerned enough to cover doing it per their new directions.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #1378
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushinRice View Post
These are the extra parts on my invoice from the install:

$68.88 with BMWCCA discount

You are awesome! I ordered all the hardware for $74 shipped thanks to you!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:48 AM   #1379
Ever.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 MW/SO

Can someone here actually chime in who didn't get the extra parts and are still running them fine?

Shouldn't the kit have come with this to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #1380
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever. View Post
Can someone here actually chime in who didn't get the extra parts and are still running them fine?

I've had mine for 1k miles or so without issue. I'm not worried about it.
Appreciate 1
Ever.211.00
      05-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #1381
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Mu View Post
I've had mine for 1k miles or so without issue. I'm not worried about it.
I have had mine for about 5k miles, not worried about it.
Appreciate 1
Ever.211.00
      05-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #1382
f83woody
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever. View Post

From the looks of the list above, it just seems like they are replacing what I assume are stretch bolts. Stretch bolts are typically viewed as a one time use only because the threads are "stretched." This wouldn't affect how well it holds/stays in there, it's mostly just going to be a pain in the ass to take out again after a while and run the risk of breaking the bolt.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #1383
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

So I just got the coilover kit installed and I noticed that I did not get any software update with it. Went back and the Dealer showed me the install instruction, which is the same linked in this thread, and it specifically says that *no software or coding are needed* and therefore doesn't want to do it. Some of you guys mention that it is required, but can you point to me where does it say that?
Ever.211.00
      05-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #1384
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
That's funny but I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about that. If there was a true concern, BMW would recall to avoid the possibility of lawsuits that would easily be on them. BMW part + BMW install = no one else to shift blame on other then maybe you which would be a stretch. You should ask about it though just to see if BMW is concerned enough to cover doing it per their new directions.
Some car companies are willing to risk an occasional lawsuit if the repair costs outweigh risk of lawsuit costs. I'm not saying BMW has this analysis. Yet, it is seen in the car industry generally.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #1385
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
Quote:
Some car companies are willing to risk an occasional lawsuit if the repair costs outweigh risk of lawsuit costs. I'm not saying BMW has this analysis. Yet, it is seen in the car industry generally.
Risk has 2 parts, probability and consequence. If there is a moderate probability and a moderate consequence, they would more likely spend the few grand to avoid the potential lawsuit. Considering this is a performance vehicle likely to be driven at high speeds or aggressively, there could be a major consequence like death. That could be a multi-million or billion dollar lawsuit and that doesn't even factor potential fines for knowingly ignoring the risk. However, this is likely a very low probability of realizing a major consequence and therefore not likely to have a recall of the install service.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #1386
f83woody
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's a car

Quote:
Risk has 2 parts, probability and consequence. If there is a moderate probability and a moderate consequence, they would more likely spend the few grand to avoid the potential lawsuit. Considering this is a performance vehicle likely to be driven at high speeds or aggressively, there could be a major consequence like death. That could be a multi-million or billion dollar lawsuit and that doesn't even factor potential fines for knowingly ignoring the risk. However, this is likely a very low probability of realizing a major consequence and therefore not likely to have a recall of the install service.

I.e. Ford Pinto
Appreciate 0