Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
mrsmucker
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Suggestions for raising car height?

I know it's a little unorthodox to raise the car, but a friend way up north wants a year-round M3/M4 that can be driven in the winter. Aside from the obvious winter rims/tires, snow clearance poses an issue.

Does anyone know of springs/coilovers that can be adjusted higher than stock? I'm not sure if there are any, but thought I'd ask. If not, are there any other solutions? Shims maybe?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
I think his best solution is to purchase an X3M/X5M.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

what ? he should be driving a SUV in that case
      07-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Eibach Prokit V1.

Seriously though, you might be able to get a little lift with OEM 4 series springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Please don't.. it's not like raising the car will do much to help unless you are significantly raising the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
mrsmucker
Banned
Rep

He's set on an M3/M4 -- although an X5/6 M is not a bad idea.

And just for clarification, of course the height of the car would be adjustable so that he can lower it again for the summer. Do most (or all) of the aftermarket coilovers have a maximum height of stock height, or are there some that allow for further height increase?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmucker View Post

And just for clarification, of course the height of the car would be adjustable so that he can lower it again for the summer. Do most (or all) of the aftermarket coilovers have a maximum height of stock height, or are there some that allow for further height increase?
I'm sure there are some coilovers that can go higher than stock. Problem is that no one really has tried it, as you probably understand that most people modify ride height to go lower. I did have Bilstein PSS10 on my F30 and I was able to raise it to about stock or a bit higher on the front. I know that you won't be able to get even close to stock high with KW Variant series.

The only other option I can think of is to get a track coilover that uses linear straight barrel springs so that you can piece meal a kit that works for you. You can swap out the springs to taller springs. I won't even go into the trade offs you'll have in the performance side of things though.

Your buddy would probably be the first to do something like this, so it'll be trial and error. Although, with a bit of calculation, you can kind of predict the outcome with different coilover manufacturer spec info that is available.

I say, if your buddy has the coin for this, try it out. Practically all suspension mods are reversible and it would be exciting to see the F8X can get used in a wacky way. If I was local to you guys, I'd offer to do the install myself; just because I want to see something crazy. I mean, Jon Olsson doesn't seem to give a shit what other people think about his cars and his cars are fun as hell (studded tires on the Lambo!).

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
mrsmucker
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmucker View Post

I'm sure there are some coilovers that can go higher than stock. Problem is that no one really has tried it, as you probably understand that most people modify ride height to go lower. I did have Bilstein PSS10 on my F30 and I was able to raise it to about stock or a bit higher on the front. I know that you won't be able to get even close to stock high with KW Variant series.

The only other option I can think of is to get a track coilover that uses linear straight barrel springs so that you can piece meal a kit that works for you. You can swap out the springs to taller springs. I won't even go into the trade offs you'll have in the performance side of things though.

Your buddy would probably be the first to do something like this, so it'll be trial and error. Although, with a bit of calculation, you can kind of predict the outcome with different coilover manufacturer spec info that is available.

I say, if your buddy has the coin for this, try it out. Practically all suspension mods are reversible and it would be exciting to see the F8X can get used in a wacky way. If I was local to you guys, I'd offer to do the install myself; just because I want to see something crazy. I mean, Jon Olsson doesn't seem to give a shit what other people think about his cars and his cars are fun as hell (studded tires on the Lambo!).

Thank you for your input! That was very helpful information. Unfortunately, I'm guessing he doesn't really have the time/money to invest in a trial-and-error process. He and I were both hoping there would be someone who would be able to chime in on whether or not they knew, for certain, of an aftermarket coilover that would allow for above-stock-height setting. Something easily adjustable every season, for a quick solution, and overall convenience/peace of mind.

I wonder if there are any coilover manufacturers that have outlined the range of their height adjustability on their website(s), where and if going higher than stock is an option.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #9
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

It's doable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 01:29 AM   #10
mrsmucker