European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

11-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

New car, new questions

My 2018 M3 was delivered to my house yesterday. Although the build sheet showed 437M black wheels (car is Mineral Gray), it was delivered with 666M black wheels. I like these much better, so no complaint.

Except, I can’t drive summer tires in winter here. Temps are already below 50f during my drive times.

I would like to put all season tires on the 20in 666M wheels, but couldn’t turn any up in a TireRack search. No flames, please. I intend to drive the car long distances and have previously been caught far from home by early cold which made summer tires undrivable. First questions: are there any all-season choices? What size should I get?

Alternatively I could dump the 666M set (currently have 25 miles) and either trade them for 19s or sell and buy a set of 19s. Should I stay with BMW wheels (437M Black)? Or get something else? Not looking to put out any more money than I have to, ideally trade even at worst. Again what sizes are recommended (tires and, if not BMW wheels, wheel sizes)?

Personal preferences: I like gray/non-bright wheels. Wheels need to be easy to keep clean (I wax/seal them 2x year typically), so no “basket weaves”. I like a good handling tire but this won’t be for track use. Love conti dws06 on my X5 and X3 but not sure that is the best M3 tire.

So, basically this is a long “what should I do” post, given all of your collective experience with wheels, tires, grip/slip, etc.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

All season tires are not going to assist you in any snowy conditions in either F8X platform.

I see your options being: A. keep your 666M's dedicated for Spring-Fall, and get a dedicated winter setup for late fall into late winter (nice used sets are going for $1,200-2,000). B. Swap your 666M wheels for the ones you ordered, and play the tire swap game each season.

As far as your wheel tastes.... that's all on you!
Appreciate 1
mrfox148.00
      11-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
All season tires are not going to assist you in any snowy conditions in either F8X platform.

I see your options being: A. keep your 666M's dedicated for Spring-Fall, and get a dedicated winter setup for late fall into late winter (nice used sets are going for $1,200-2,000). B. Swap your 666M wheels for the ones you ordered, and play the tire swap game each season.

As far as your wheel tastes.... that's all on you!
It won’t get driven in snow unless I get caught out. Example, in mid-Sept we were in Yellowstone and it snowed over night. All roads closed for 1/2 day and then some opened in the afternoon. Temps stayed near freezing. Could not drive my car because it had summer tires on it. 6000 miles total on the trip and two days stuck because of a freak cold snap. All season tires would have been sufficient for the afternoon when roads were open (except the ones requiring chains). Obviously it would have made no sense to carry a winter set nor to have driven the entire trip on winters.

I had a winter set for my 2015 M3 (sold both) but it was a daily driver. The 2018 is not.

I did think of waiting until spring (car is on a tender all winter anyway) to see if more options come on the market, but I think my “use case” really supports going to 19 inch for ride comfort as well as tire choices. I just really like the look of the 666M!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

I think you lucked out getting the black 666M wheels from a resales perspective. Just order a new set of aftermarket 19" wheels and some all-season tires if you don't plan to drive through snow or have an alternative mode of transportation for those bad weather days. I'm in the same exact situation as you and purchased some 19" wheels/tires for cold weather driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the comments and input so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Thanks for the comments and input so far.
Have you looked into Snow Socks? I was thinking of buying a set of these last year when I bought my ZCP 17 in January. Luckily I had no need to with the outcome of a mild winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Have you looked into Snow Socks? I was thinking of buying a set of these last year when I bought my ZCP 17 in January. Luckily I had no need to with the outcome of a mild winter.
Those would be interesting for getting caught out, but not for driving when it is just too cold for summers. My desire is a tire I can drive in all conditions except significant snow - when the car will be parked. For example today the temps here will be above 50f only briefly and at dawn we were just above freezing with fog and damp roads. Really not safe on narrow, twisty roads on the Summer rubber.

I guess it comes down to which compromise I accept: winter wheels/tires in the garage and the change overs, or all seasons year-round and compromised summer performance. I had winters for my ‘15 M3 but want to try all seasons on this one. Once I burn through a set I can always go back to summer/winter sets I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Quote:
Those would be interesting for getting caught out, but not for driving when it is just too cold for summers. My desire is a tire I can drive in all conditions except significant snow - when the car will be parked. For example today the temps here will be above 50f only briefly and at dawn we were just above freezing with fog and damp roads. Really not safe on narrow, twisty roads on the Summer rubber.

I guess it comes down to which compromise I accept: winter wheels/tires in the garage and the change overs, or all seasons year-round and compromised summer performance. I had winters for my ‘15 M3 but want to try all seasons on this one. Once I burn through a set I can always go back to summer/winter sets I suppose.
Keep your summers on the car and drive like a mad man when and only the weather permits. Regardless of your setup, you should dramatically change your driving habits in the conditions you speak of.

Ps I drive in pretty much the same conditions as you do daily and I'm on my 666M year round.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3531.50
      12-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
Ben Overlake
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4

The trip 6 in the black/silver finish are the best looking wheels BMW sells on the market today. The silver ones... one of the ugliest. Odd swing.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3531.50
      12-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
SStoneF80
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

I just mounted conti dws 06 275/30/20 on all four wheels. No rubbing and no traction control issues thus far. I have had good luck in the past with these tires. We don't get much snow just cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #11
mrfox
W33M W33M
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY18 F80 MW ZCP

Get a set of winters. There's a reason BMW makes a dedicated OEM winter setup for this car.

I live in lower NY. We get decent snow but not a ton. M3 is my daily and I've got 666M w/ PSS2's. Was using the 666 through Thanksgiving without issue, but as it got colder you could feel the traction loss. Note that (if memory serves) the PSS2 are rated down to 42 degrees.

I switched over to the 640M with the Conti Winter Contact and all is well again. Sure, when it's dry I can't drive it nearly as hard as I can on the summer set in July, but it drives just fine when cold and dry, and I don't have to worry about getting caught in snow/cold/wet conditions. Happened twice so far and the car handled it fine.

Winter tires aren't just for snow mind you, they are for dealing with the cold and wet conditions, as well as snow. If you're going to daily a performance car, there's no good reason not
to have two sets for the appropriate conditions.
      12-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfox View Post
Get a set of winters. There's a reason BMW makes a dedicated OEM winter setup for this car.

I live in lower NY. We get decent snow but not a ton. M3 is my daily and I've got 666M w/ PSS2's. Was using the 666 through Thanksgiving without issue, but as it got colder you could feel the traction loss. Note that (if memory serves) the PSS2 are rated down to 42 degrees.

I switched over to the 640M with the Conti Winter Contact and all is well again. Sure, when it's dry I can't drive it nearly as hard as I can on the summer set in July, but it drives just fine when cold and dry, and I don't have to worry about getting caught in snow/cold/wet conditions. Happened twice so far and the car handled it fine.

Winter tires aren't just for snow mind you, they are for dealing with the cold and wet conditions, as well as snow. If you're going to daily a performance car, there's no good reason not
to have two sets for the appropriate conditions.
I don’t winter-drive the car unless I have no other option (other cars all in shop or use). So that really isn’t my concern. I want to drive long trips in spring and fall - when it is very possible to be caught in a cold weather snap, or even snow. Not good on summer rubber, makes no sense to be wearing winter tires. All seasons like the Contis are really the best option - and they make it a little easier if I do need the car in winter.

BMW sells a winter set to make more money. They did the math.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStoneF80 View Post
I just mounted conti dws 06 275/30/20 on all four wheels. No rubbing and no traction control issues thus far. I have had good luck in the past with these tires. We don't get much snow just cold weather.
Thanks - that is very helpful.
Appreciate 0