Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
higgy
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Coding

I fancy a bit of coding via my iPhone as it looks fairly simple versus using the laptop and E sys. I want ASD removed and start stop off also.

I plan to use bimmer code, do you guys recommend the Bluetooth or WiFi Vgate adapter?.

I’m new to coding , any downsides using this method? What other interesting features can you code via bimmercode ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Brandon253
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgy View Post
I fancy a bit of coding via my iPhone as it looks fairly simple versus using the laptop and E sys. I want ASD removed and start stop off also.

I plan to use bimmer code, do you guys recommend the Bluetooth or WiFi Vgate adapter?.

I’m new to coding , any downsides using this method? What other interesting features can you code via bimmercode ?
Quote:

I'm new to coding , any downsides using this method? What other interesting features can you code via bimmercode ?
I have the VGATE and it works pretty well
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
higgy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon253 View Post
I have the VGATE and it works pretty well
Bluetooth or WiFi?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 03:07 AM   #4
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Stick with WiFi - better range if nothing else.

Just be sure to disconnect your phone from Apple Car Play if you have it as it keeps trying to connect otherwise and the Vlink connection drops.
      10-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

I use Bimmercode and it was incredibly simple. I had one question about a feature and the app developer replied to my email within minutes, so a great service from start to finish.

I use bluetooth and the recommended way to do it is to put your phone into airplane mode and then turn on bluetooth, to ensure that you dont receive any calls or messages mid-coding as apparently it can be a little sensitive.

This is the adapter I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071D8SY...395841_TE_dp_1
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:27 AM   #6
higgy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
I use Bimmercode and it was incredibly simple. I had one question about a feature and the app developer replied to my email within minutes, so a great service from start to finish.

I use bluetooth and the recommended way to do it is to put your phone into airplane mode and then turn on bluetooth, to ensure that you dont receive any calls or messages mid-coding as apparently it can be a little sensitive.

This is the adapter I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071D8SY...395841_TE_dp_1
Thanks for the reply - this is the one recommended by BimmerCode but noticed that most seem to be using WiFi. Maybe as the earlier BLE wasn’t compatible with iOS. What codes have you done ?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #7
iooal3xooi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 comp

same here, go Vgate bluetooth.

ASD
stop start to last setting
video in motion.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:52 AM   #8
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply - this is the one recommended by BimmerCode but noticed that most seem to be using WiFi. Maybe as the earlier BLE wasn’t compatible with iOS. What codes have you done ?
Turned off the active sound and will never turn that back on! Also coded the start/stop to remember the last setting - you can just code it to be off by default, but this gives you the option. I coded all the video options so you can play video from a USB stick.

I did code the mirrors to fold automatically after locking the car, but I found that if you do this it was impossible to lock the car then deactivate the motion sensor. This probably isn't a concern for most people of course.

I'm going to code in the B&O settings for the hifi and very keen to hear the results, but I've not got round to that yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Turned off the active sound and will never turn that back on! Also coded the start/stop to remember the last setting - you can just code it to be off by default, but this gives you the option. I coded all the video options so you can play video from a USB stick.

I did code the mirrors to fold automatically after locking the car, but I found that if you do this it was impossible to lock the car then deactivate the motion sensor. This probably isn't a concern for most people of course.

I'm going to code in the B&O settings for the hifi and very keen to hear the results, but I've not got round to that yet.
I bought the Wifi Vgate and use Bimmercode, turned off start/stop, turned on rear lights for daytime running lights, activated the beeps when locking/unlocking, shut of radio/nav when opening driver door and messed around with sounds. There's quite a lot you can do, I did manage to lose all my shortcut selections on the programmable buttons somehow, probably when I was messing with the head unit stuff.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Interested in this too. What's the cheapest option to code out ASD or is it just even easier to unplug physically?
      10-15-2018, 06:31 AM   #11
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
Stick with WiFi - better range if nothing else.

Just be sure to disconnect your phone from Apple Car Play if you have it as it keeps trying to connect otherwise and the Vlink connection drops.
^^^ Exactly this.
      10-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #12
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Interested in this too. What's the cheapest option to code out ASD or is it just even easier to unplug physically?
Coding it out is the easiest option. Unplugging it is a real PITA. I know, as I've done it when fitting an add-on amplifier for upgrared underseat woofers.
The module is effectively under the carpet lining below the rear n/s lighting cluster. Getting the carpet out isn't easy. But if you do it, the unit just unplugs very easily. It sits right behind the stock amplifier.
      10-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #13
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK, the B&O option is only for lighting mode (it gets added to the interior lighting menu in i-drive - Which is pointless as the UK market doesn't get LED-Lit speakers...

Coding high End Audio on UK vehicles gives you Bowers & Wilkins settings, which I prefer over Logic7.
      10-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #14
higgy
Private
Rep

Purchased the BLE version and worked like a dream. Coded ASD, start / stop off and reverse door lights. Couldn’t find the settings to fold mirrors on lock or the B&W speakers settings though ...? Where do I find these ?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
AFAIK, the B&O option is only for lighting mode (it gets added to the interior lighting menu in i-drive - Which is pointless as the UK market doesn't get LED-Lit speakers...

Coding high End Audio on UK vehicles gives you Bowers & Wilkins settings, which I prefer over Logic7.
Not heard any mention of Bowers and Wilkins settings before. More info in this thread. Seems if you have the HK hifi then you can code in the software settings from B&O. A lot of people seem to prefer it (there's a few threads on various forums with people sharing their EQ settings).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not heard any mention of Bowers and Wilkins settings before. More info in this thread. Seems if you have the HK hifi then you can code in the software settings from B&O. A lot of people seem to prefer it (there's a few threads on various forums with people sharing their EQ settings).
Interesting...

I've never found that, despite playing around. Mine is most definitely Bowers & wilkins... Only B&O I've managed to find is a lighting option...
Attached Images

10-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #17
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Interesting...

I've never found that, despite playing around. Mine is most definitely Bowers & wilkins... Only B&O I've managed to find is a lighting option...
I'll likely be trying this at the weekend so I'll let you know how I get on with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #18
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting...

I'll likely be trying this at the weekend so I'll let you know how I get on with it.
Yes, please do.

Funny, having read the post you linked, people saying they wish there was a B&W offering instead of B&O...
      10-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #19
higgy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, please do.

Funny, having read the post you linked, people saying they wish there was a B&W offering instead of B&O...
Yep - followed that thread via the link above and B&W was mentioned as another preferred option. In any case, I followed the instructions in the thread and could only see the B&W option to code. No B&O option for me. I have exactly the same menus and screen shots as T5pilot. Sounds better than HK Logic 7 IMO.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming 😁
Appreciate 1
t5pilot977.50
      10-21-2018, 06:13 AM   #20
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Well that was easy.

While it's true that you when coding you see the options for Bowers and Wilkins, the B&O option is slightly harder to find. Under the head unit settings, you'll find a setting called HIGH_END_AUDIO_MENUE, set this to VOLLES_INZ and you're done.

Took a photo which illustrates nicely how much dust I had on my screen

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:45 AM   #21
higgy
Private
Rep

So which sounds best ? B&W or B&O?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #22
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So which sounds best ? B&W or B&O?
I will have a 90 minute drive tonight, so will give B&O a good listen.

I usually have the Logic7 mode turned off as I think it's rotten for music, but I turn it on if I'm playing video. Watching movies in my car sounds way better than it does with my dobly* setup in my house I'm keen to see if I get on any better with B&O.

* If you don't get this reference, you've no business discussing audio on the internet
Appreciate 0