R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

05-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #23
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Don’t worry about snow. Our cars can handle it

LOL That guy (is it you?) has bigger balls than I do. Power sliding with all those curbs around. I'll definitely be getting some Blizzaks for the winter but will probably still avoid driving during big snow days.
      05-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #24
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

Congrats man..enjoy
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 01:41 AM   #25
scoobyhummel3
Private
China
Rep
Drives: Mica White F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
The stock tires are getting low on tread. I'm going to have to get some stickier Pilot Super Sports to survive the summer.
Try pilot sport 4s, it is much better than pss with reasonable price.
instagram: scoobyhummel
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #26
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyhummel3 View Post
Try pilot sport 4s, it is much better than pss with reasonable price.
Whoops, that's actually what I meant. I had the Sport 4's on my S4 and they were fantastic. I also had a great experience with Continental Extreme Contact DW's, prior to that. But I think the Sport 4's are going to be the way to go this time around.
      05-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #27
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Congratulations! Enjoy it in good health, awesome that you found exactly what you wanted in that shape.

Best of luck with her!

Any mods in your future you're already thinking about?

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #28
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
Congratulations! Enjoy it in good health, awesome that you found exactly what you wanted in that shape.

Best of luck with her!

Any mods in your future you're already thinking about?
Thanks!

Normally, I buy a car with all sorts of mods in mind. Not this time around, though. Power-wise, it's already scary fast, to me. I couldn't imagine adding any more to it, especially as a daily driver. Maybe that will change in time, though.

With that said, I already ordered a clutch stop, as I've read that it greatly improves 'smooth' shifting in this car. I also plan to add some 12mm/15mm wheel spacers and longer wheel studs to clean up that tucked wheel look a bit.

In the future, I may upgrade springs/coilovers to decrease the front fender gap. First, I want to feel out the ground clearance for my normal commutes and determine if it's going to be feasible for me to drop the front bumper any lower.

Admittedly, I've always wanted to do a custom satin wrap of some kind on one of my cars. But I love the current color. Maybe as time progresses and it starts to develop some chips/scuffs, I'll look into doing that to freshen/clean it up.

For now though, just enjoying the hell out of it! Which reminds me, time for the weekly car wash trip. The flat irons looks awesome right now. Once she's clean, I'll try and get some pics and post them here.
      05-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #29
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Added my first two modifications.

- Burger Motorsports clutch stop
- 15mm rear / 12mm front Macht Schnell spacers + longer lugs

Next up is the IND Tr-Color Matte Carbon + Alcantara Boot Set to make the interior a little more personalized.

Loving everything about this car so far, except that damn front fender gap. I really wish the front bumper was like 2" shorter so I could justify installing some springs or coilovers to make the front sit as flush as the rear (which is perfect, IMO).

Unfortunately, since the car is going to see all seasons as my daily driver, pushing that front bumper any lower simply isn't an option for me. The front bumper already sits almost 1.5" lower than my lowered S4 and STI, prior to that.

Last edited by DadVibes; 05-28-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #30
scoobyhummel3
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Loving everything about this car so far, except that damn front fender gap. I really wish the front bumper was like 2" shorter so I could justify installing some springs or coilovers to make the front sit as flush as the rear (which is perfect, IMO).
i feel the same thing as you do, mate. but from my research and experience, the front sits that height for a reason which is keeping the chassis perfectly parallel with the ground. its well balanced for many many aspects, such as brake bias, weight distribution, dynamic control and etc. i know rear sits low and looks brilliant. but if you go lower the front and keep the rear as it is, the car goes nose down a bit which affects handling a lot (my real experience), like you come into the corner with hard brake, the tail slides more than stock and out of corner, the front end feels so much understeering. its up to you, mate. go looks or go tracks. time to decide, lol.

Quote:
Unfortunately, since the car is going to see all seasons as my daily driver, pushing that front bumper any lower simply isn't an option for me. The front bumper already sits almost 1.5" lower than my lowered S4 and STI, prior to that.
+1, to be honest im aganst for any insane lowered fronts cos the car plays DD for most of people. lets keep it functional.

btw, im a subaru nutter for the last 10 years and used to own an sti as well. love that scooby in pieces.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:00 AM   #31
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Congrats. Welcome to M World
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #32
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i feel the same thing as you do, mate. but from my research and experience, the front sits that height for a reason which is keeping the chassis perfectly parallel with the ground. its well balanced for many many aspects, such as brake bias, weight distribution, dynamic control and etc. i know rear sits low and looks brilliant. but if you go lower the front and keep the rear as it is, the car goes nose down a bit which affects handling a lot (my real experience), like you come into the corner with hard brake, the tail slides more than stock and out of corner, the front end feels so much understeering. its up to you, mate. go looks or go tracks. time to decide, lol.
Makes 100% sense to me. In fact, I joined a car cruise over the holiday weekend through the local mountain twisty roads. During the lunch break, a guy with a beautiful new 911 Turbo (who previously had an F80 M3) came up to me to congratulate me on the car and chat a bit about it. I briefly mentioned my desire to even out the fender gap and he basically mirrored what you said. He HIGHLY recommended against it. He said that he lowered his M3, ended up regretting it, then put the stock springs back on. He said he couldn't believe how much lowering the front negatively impacted the feel/handling of the car.

Between what both of you have said, I'll be keeping the suspension as is.

Quote:
+1, to be honest im aganst for any insane lowered fronts cos the car plays DD for most of people. lets keep it functional.

btw, im a subaru nutter for the last 10 years and used to own an sti as well. love that scooby in pieces.
Nice! When I traded my STI in on the S4 a couple of years ago, I had serious remorse for a while. Almost entirely because of just how solid the suspension, shifter and clutch felt in the STI. The suspension feel and paddle shifting in the S4 felt much more numb to me, in comparison. However, I'm amazed at how much the M3 shifting and suspension feels almost identical to my STI, which had upgraded coilovers, sway bars, end links, shifter, front/rear bushings, solid engine mount etc. etc.

I know many won't love the comparison; But to me, minus AWD, the M3 truly feels like the "grown up" STI that I always wished my S4 was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Congrats. Welcome to M World
Thanks!

Last edited by DadVibes; 05-29-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #33
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep
Drives: 2022 Imola Red II G80 M3

Nice upgrade! Great to see another manual in the mix.

YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDailyDriven/featured
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:04 AM   #34
scoobyhummel3
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Between what both of you have said, I'll be keeping the suspension as is.
do you know the most enjoyable and memorable moment of owing an m3 is not stuck in traffic or cruising on motorway. its the every single minute on the track or sprint run. so keep the proper suspension geometry is the way to go.

Quote:
Nice! When I traded my STI in on the S4 a couple of years ago, I had serious remorse for a while. Almost entirely because of just how solid the suspension, shifter and clutch felt in the STI. The suspension feel and paddle shifting in the S4 felt much more numb to me, in comparison. However, I'm amazed at how much the M3 shifting and suspension feels almost identical to my STI, which had upgraded coilovers, sway bars, end links, shifter, front/rear bushings, solid engine mount etc. etc.
I know many won't love the comparison; But to me, minus AWD, the M3 truly feels like the "grown up" STI that I always wished my S4 was.
now you are talking "involvement". both sti and m3 are not such "stupidly quick" cars. they involve so much effort of driver's skills. so i love both cars a lot. it was a bit pity and regret to let her (sti) go but life moves on and we need fresh blood to keep passion and enthusiasm still on.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #35
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Is your driveway's approach angle (or that of the places you frequent) extremely steep? If not, I'm nor sure I understand the aversion to reduced front bumper clearance. I drive my car year-round and if the snow is deep enough for the front clearance to be an issue, the car can't be driven that day anyway because it wouldn't get through the snow depth even with my snow tires. An MPerf front lip and gentle lowering on MPerf springs has never caused me issues.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #36
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
Is your driveway's approach angle (or that of the places you frequent) extremely steep? If not, I'm nor sure I understand the aversion to reduced front bumper clearance. I drive my car year-round and if the snow is deep enough for the front clearance to be an issue, the car can't be driven that day anyway because it wouldn't get through the snow depth even with my snow tires. An MPerf front lip and gentle lowering on MPerf springs has never caused me issues.

I do work from home full time and to your point, I'm able to avoid going anywhere when snow starts to pile up. And, while the front edge of the driveway to our new house is a bit steeper than the last house, an angled approach solves the issue. I suspect just a slightly more aggressive angle would be fine if I lower it.

I'm still wary though since my wife and I make relatively frequent trips to my parents house in Evergreen. Their driveway is quite ridiculous. For instance, below was the clearance with my old STI at stock ride height (granted, with a lip). The road is very narrow too, so trying to angle your way all the way down isn't really an option. I'd hate to miss out on driving the M3 up those amazing twisty roads into Evergreen, just because my car can't make it down their driveway.

Regardless, I'm still considering it...

Last edited by DadVibes; 06-26-2019 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #37
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I like the Audi better. Go figure...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #38
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I like the Audi better. Go figure...
It was a great car. And that instant power from the supercharger, paired with AWD was an absolute blast to experience on a daily basis.

But, no matter how much money I sunk into mods for it (suspension, wheels, tuning, upgraded cooling etc.), it still didn't feel as planted to the ground or as rewarding to drive as my old STI and especially this M3, even with the M3 in stock form.

Last edited by DadVibes; 06-26-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 11:30 AM   #39
mistapony
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tanzanite/Opal Comp M3 MT

Congrats on the car, and another 6MT in Colorado awesome! Do you plan on getting a winter wheel setup when that time comes?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #40
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistapony View Post
Congrats on the car, and another 6MT in Colorado awesome! Do you plan on getting a winter wheel setup when that time comes?
Thanks! Until I test drove the M3, I didn't realize just how much I missed driving a manual. It feels so good to be rowing my own gears again.

I'll definitely be getting some Blizzaks for winter. I'm going to go one of two directions...

1) Find some summer wheels I like better than the OEM 19's. Then I'd get Blizzaks for these stock wheels and transition the stock wheels to winter duty.

2) If I end up preferring the stock wheels for my summer setup (currently leaning this direction), I'll grab some 18's and some Blizzaks with higher sidewalls to match, and use that as my winter setup.

Probably smarter to go with 18's and taller tires in the winter. But my last 2 cars had 19's for winter and it really wasn't an issue. We'll see.

Last edited by DadVibes; 06-26-2019 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #41
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
The stainless steel pedals I ordered from eBay arrived yesterday. Today, I was able to take the whole 5 minutes required to install them.

I'm not usually one to cheap out on car parts and will almost always pay extra for OEM. However, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the quality and OEM-like snug fit of these. I highly recommend them to anyone who also thinks the black pedals look out of place next to the stainless steel dead pedal, but don't want to deal with the OEM M-Performance stainless steel pedals, which require drilling. And at $23, these are a freaking steal.

Link to the pedals I purchased:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-1-2...l/332792672930

Now to find some good all weather floor mats...

Last edited by DadVibes; 06-26-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #42
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Took a little post-wash photoshoot today...

Mods, so far:
- Burger Motorsports clutch stop
- M performance replica pedals
- Macht Schnell spacers (12mm front / 15mm rear)

I've got some Continental Extremecontact Sports in 285/35/19 & 265/35/19 coming in Friday. I also ordered some 10mm spacers for the rear since the 15mm spacers won't work with the bigger tire.

I can't wait to get it registered next week, so I can get rid of that hideous temp plate.

Last edited by DadVibes; 06-26-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      06-27-2019, 04:08 PM   #43
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Nice!
      06-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #44
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
good choice. no offense, f80/82 is much better than s4 no matter looks or performances. congrats mate and welcome on board.
This..
Appreciate 0