proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
d00bies
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

jrz rs2 coilovers are bouncy

A lot of people say these coilovers are really good. I installed them on my f82 and the front is pretty bouncy. I maxed out rebound and compression up front. Is there something im missing? Still has about 1 finger gap so its not lowered all the way. Anyone know the stock spring rates on the jrz rs2 coilovers? Thnking about getting some stiffer springs.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
F82K2S0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G82/MG F82/AW E92

You probably adjusted the rebound in the wrong direction is my guess.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      05-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

First, there's no need to max out R and C damping on the street (and track), plus higher damping is not always better. Adding too much C damping on the street will make the car "bouncy". What are your spring rates? For now, try setting R at the middle setting and then set C ~3-6 "clicks" below the middle setting. R at the middle setting still may be too much for the street - if you lower the R setting always set C to a lower setting to minimize "bouncyness". FYI, this is not how you'd setup (or start to setup) the suspension for the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00bies View Post
A lot of people say these coilovers are really good. I installed them on my f82 and the front is pretty bouncy. I maxed out rebound and compression up front. Is there something im missing? Still has about 1 finger gap so its not lowered all the way. Anyone know the stock spring rates on the jrz rs2 coilovers? Thnking about getting some stiffer springs.
On the street, stiffer springs will not reduce the "bounciness"; a softer spring will smooth out the bounce. I've seen JRZ RS2 come with different spring rates but mine was: Front 500lb main spring + 150lb tender spring. Rear 700lb main spring.

I swapped my front main spring to 350lb. It's a bit too soft. I suggest a 400lb would be perfect for the street.

But before you go that route, try adjusting the compression/rebound on the rear first. This will eliminate almost all the "bounce". Start from this and adjust to taste...

STREET SET UP

FRONT
Compression: 5
Rebound: 9

REAR
Compression: 2
Rebound: 5

Note: 0 is full soft
Appreciate 4
      05-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
d00bies
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
On the street, stiffer springs will not reduce the "bounciness"; a softer spring will smooth out the bounce. I've seen JRZ RS2 come with different spring rates but mine was: Front 500lb main spring + 150lb tender spring. Rear 700lb main spring.

I swapped my front main spring to 350lb. It's a bit too soft. I suggest a 400lb would be perfect for the street.

But before you go that route, try adjusting the compression/rebound on the rear first. This will eliminate almost all the "bounce". Start from this and adjust to taste...

STREET SET UP

FRONT
Compression: 5
Rebound: 9

REAR
Compression: 2
Rebound: 5

Note: 0 is full soft

I tried this set up too. Ended up doing 15 rebound and 9 compression in the rear. The rear is perfect. But the front I've tried all the settings recommended on the forum. Still pretty bouncy at slow speeds. I like to ride pretty stiff, even for daily. I'll try to lower down the compression in the front and see how that goes. So far not really happy with these coilovers, it might be the settings but if its not, definitely not good coilovers for track. I've used a lot of different coilovers in my life, so i know what good coils feel like. Figured i give these a try since everyone on here says theyre one of the best for the f80 chassis.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
I tried this set up too. Ended up doing 15 rebound and 9 compression in the rear. The rear is perfect. But the front I've tried all the settings recommended on the forum. Still pretty bouncy at slow speeds. I like to ride pretty stiff, even for daily. I'll try to lower down the compression in the front and see how that goes. So far not really happy with these coilovers, it might be the settings but if its not, definitely not good coilovers for track. I've used a lot of different coilovers in my life, so i know what good coils feel like. Figured i give these a try since everyone on here says theyre one of the best for the f80 chassis.
What are your current spring rates? Do you have the RS2 Touring or RS2 Sport dampers? The damping of the Touring version is setup to be more street friendly and, therefore, cannot handle higher spring rates.

How slow is "slow speeds"? If you're talking speeds < ~10 mph, especially when coming to a stop, higher-end track-biased dampers can have a bouncyness feeling under these conditions. It certainly doesn't mean the damper won't perform well on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
gonoyaro11
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Woo

Give it more rebounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #9
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Bouncy huh...

First let's confirm that you're adjusting the dampers in the correct direction. Full soft is clockwise, and full stiff is counter clockwise. JRZ is backwards compared to most manufacturers.

Next, as a test, set the compression to full soft and set the rebound to 50% aka 12 clicks out / counter clockwise.

Lastly, make sure your tires are set to an appropriate pressure, likely in the low to mid 30's.

This setup should feel 'soft' during bump soak up, without post-bump oscillation.

What's difficult to articulate is how you define 'bouncy'. For some people that could be excessive damping in the chassis while for others it could be too little damping. Try to really describe what's not working the way you expect. The RS twos have a lot of damping range so I'd be very surprised if you're looking for something with even more rebound damping force.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Find out what front and rear rates you ordered your kit with then we can chime in on suggestions. Hold of on stiffer springs until you can figure out why your car is "bouncy".
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
Are you using the Touring or the Sport kit? If you're on the Touring with the stock springs, I think I know exactly what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
991dc5
Private
Rep
Drives: DC5

Hello, hate to revive an old thread but better than starting a new one right? Anyways, I recently installed the jrz RS two touring with GC plates. I'm also experiencing alot of bounce at low speeds. The high speed rebound seems fine but the high-speed compression can also be felt over small shallow bumps on the highway.

My kit has no helper springs, so only the stock jrz rates. My stripped dc5 track car on inferior fortune autos feel less bouncy without too much bump.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #13
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991dc5 View Post
Hello, hate to revive an old thread but better than starting a new one right? Anyways, I recently installed the jrz RS two touring with GC plates. I'm also experiencing alot of bounce at low speeds. The high speed rebound seems fine but the high-speed compression can also be felt over small shallow bumps on the highway.

My kit has no helper springs, so only the stock jrz rates. My stripped dc5 track car on inferior fortune autos feel less bouncy without too much bump.
I had the same issue with both the RS ONE Touring and the RS TWO Touring, though it was a bit better controlled with the RS TWOs. The front end was always very, very twitchy. Pretty much constant small/short twitches as opposed to big/long bounces...if that distinction makes any sense. I tried pretty much every setting I could and I never found a way to "quiet" it down. No matter how stiff or soft I set the dampers, I always had that twitchy feel. I wonder if the Sport kits with the linear springs are just a bit better behaved in that regard?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991dc5 View Post

Did you get your RS2’s through the Apex group buy? I have that exact same setup and have the same symptoms. I just had the fronts put on a shock dyno and we discovered they were valved extremely soft causing the low speed bounce. They were so soft the tech though I had them custom valved that way. He said the RS2’s don’t normally come that way so it could have been just the production run for the group buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #15
991dc5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehart38 View Post
Did you get your RS2’s through the Apex group buy? I have that exact same setup and have the same symptoms. I just had the fronts put on a shock dyno and we discovered they were valved extremely soft causing the low speed bounce. They were so soft the tech though I had them custom valved that way. He said the RS2’s don’t normally come that way so it could have been just the production run for the group buy.
Hey man, no I did not get it from the group buy. It was just a standard jrz rs2 touring kit and I got the GC plates afterwards. I called jrz USA and Brian told me to try this setting for street: Front: +8 rebound +6 compression Rear: +7 rebound and +4 compression. It did make a difference however the bounce still exist. I am getting used to it, hopefully the trade off at the track would be worth it. Kinda wish I went with AST or other comparable brands at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

If MCS offered coils without the need for camber plates that would be my first choice.

That and Tractive set.

There has to be a remedy for the bounce with the JRZ considering the cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #17
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’m getting the fronts revalved. The rears seem to be ok. I have a half track day Tues so I’ll report back how they feel both on and off track.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #18
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Kinda sux all the money I saved on the group buy I’ve spent fixing a brand new set of coils overs.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
991dc5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehart38 View Post
Kinda sux all the money I saved on the group buy I’ve spent fixing a brand new set of coils overs.
So did you find out from apex if your rs2 had the touring or the sport valving? I feel you man keep me posted on how things work out. The bounciness is getting old since I daily the car and my friend on stock struts and swift springs ride better.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #20
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

Feel the same way about my rs two kit. Very bouncy. Still playing around with the settings and using other members suggestions. Worry it's the reason I've gotten some terrible creaking noises from the dash.

I'm also getting some knocking noises from the front end, but when I jack it up, it's all in place and nothing can really be moved by hand. I'm using the ground control camber plates.

Not super pleased, but will keep at it until I've done all I can do.

Since doing so, I've been asked by two bimmer shops why the hell I would mess the stock suspension at all considering bmw's efforts in tuning it with edc. I'm starting to wonder myself
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #21
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

I had a set and they were the same way. You could feel the car continue to bounce at stop signs. Not nearly enough rebound. I bought them used and figure they must have had touring valving.

Finally ended up on MCS doubles and these are much better (and can be easily rebuilt in the USA).
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #22
bravehart38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well...its definitely a valving issue. After a short track day (3 20 min. sessions) and so street driving i'd say 90%-95% of the bounce is gone. It doesn't matter if its sport or touring valving for what we are paying it sux. It finally rides like an M should in my opinion. That being said if i could do it all over i would have just purchased a used set of coil-overs and had them dynoed and rebuilt before installing since that's what i ended up doing except my set was new. Shout out to Inertia Labs http://www.inertialaboratory.com/
Appreciate 0