Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-03-2019, 12:32 AM   #1189
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

mine was 22lbs, I ran it at 275, i brined it, roasted it over a pan filled with carrots, celery, onion, browned turkey neck and tail, and chicken stock, I basted with melted butter and herbs.

I could not have been happier with the results, super juicy, and the gravy I made from that pan was insane.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #1190
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

A few years back we did our back-yard birds, one was 50lbs dressed!!! I think we did about 9 hours at 325.
Because we always (now) inject them with Italian dressing to the point the skin pops up with all the fluid inside, they remain moist even after that long in the heat.

Somehow an extra bird showed up on my doorstep this year, 13lbs IIRC. Black Friday I bought a new electric smoker, set it to 240, and left that in there with a mix of apple/pecan chips, and the bowl full of Cabernet. The breast strips immediately under the skin were a little stringy for about 2mm, but then it was tender and juicy all thru. The only other thing I did after washing it was to put some sage in the 2 cavities.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #1191
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
A few years back we did our back-yard birds, one was 50lbs dressed!!!
Holy balls...you sure that wasn't an ostrich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Somehow an extra bird showed up on my doorstep this year, 13lbs IIRC. Black Friday I bought a new electric smoker, set it to 240, and left that in there with a mix of apple/pecan chips, and the bowl full of Cabernet. The breast strips immediately under the skin were a little stringy for about 2mm, but then it was tender and juicy all thru. The only other thing I did after washing it was to put some sage in the 2 cavities.
Sounds yummy. How was the color? Birds I've done at that temp or lower were a not-so-appealing pale grayish beige.
      12-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #1192
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Holy balls...you sure that wasn't an ostrich?

Heritage breeds get big

Sounds yummy. How was the color? Birds I've done at that temp or lower were a not-so-appealing pale grayish beige.
It was a beautiful tan, with crinkly skin!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #1193
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

So with all the college football going on Saturday I planned on smoking a butt. I was going to get up at like 5am Saturday morning, start the egg, and have it ready for dinner during the Clemson game. But Friday night my wife and I attended an engagement party that, ended up at a bar and then a house party, so I woke up Saturday morning at about 9am. We still had people coming over for the game so I made a turbo butt. I ran the Egg at around 350 until the butt hit 210 internal. The bottom burned a little but other than that it was great.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

Appreciate 5
Torgus3773.00
upstatedoc7555.50
dizz81288.50
      12-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #1194
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

I'm doing a built in BBQ now that finally side yard is getting hardscaped and after doing a bit of research so far I've decided to go with Firemagic, does anyone have experience with their products? Id love to go bigger than 30" but there is simply no space for it. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Echelon 30" - Model# E660i-4E1N-W
Echelon Burner - Model# 32814

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #1195
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I built mine a year and change ago, I went with Firemagic for the grill and side burner. They are both very nice and I would definitely recommend them.

I have used my grill for many things, obviously as a gas grill, Ive used it to 'finish' steaks that I seared in a pan, roasting veggies, potatoes, I've used the rotisserie, and I have the charcoal basket that they sell.

A couple of observations. The side burner doesn't really have a 'low' setting, which makes sense being an outdoor burner, if it goes really low it could be blown out and then you are just pumping natural gas (or propane). So, its not great for simmering sauces, and things like that. You will find yourself pulling the pan off and on the burner so you don't burn things. I actually have an electric hot plate that I keep for simmering/reducing.

The rotisserie is a nice piece, but you pretty much have to take the grates out to use it, and you really can't put a pan under it to catch drippings (even with a small chicken).

I like the charcoal 'basket' I have not used it for smoking, I have used it for direct heat searing, its very nice.

If possible I would strongly recommend leaving enough space for a 1/2 sheet pan (about the size of a 'normal' cookie sheet) between the grill and the side burner, you will use that space constantly and having a place to put the items you are going to grill or fry etc that close will greatly reduce the need to clean up drips. If you are pan frying you can have the raw stuff on one side of the burner and the cooked stuff on the other.

Firemagic offers a glass window on the grill hood, I wouldn't get it if you are planning on actually using the grill.

I would consider putting the sink where the fridge is. The space next to the grill is always being used, you rarely will be taking an item directly from the sink and putting it on the grill, you will frequently be taking stuff out of the fridge and want to put it on your cutting board next to the grill. In addition, there is a good chance of getting a nasty burn if you grill hood is hot and you are working in a sink that is as close as it appears in the drawing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #1196
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Any experience with Twin Eagles?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #1197
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
No, are you looking at gas or pellet?

I do have a couple of pellet cookers (Treager) that I have used a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #1198
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the tips!!

The marks in red were just preliminary layout ideas but for sure I'll swap things around and make sure i have some clear space on the side of the grill. Once i have the actual equipment I'll have better idea of the actual arrangement given the space i have to work with.
I'll definitely check on the burner and see if i can test the one I'm getting to see how the flame works, it would be pity if you're unable to simmer things, my idea was not to have to walk back and forth to kitchen. I definitely plan on using the grill and was thinking of getting the glass window if I'm already going all out, i assume the concern is that it would frequently get dirty and would end up being more of a chore than accessory? My primary concern is that this stuff last a few years of moderate use without any failures, will also get the covers for grill and burner so its protected from elements.

Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I built mine a year and change ago, I went with Firemagic for the grill and side burner. They are both very nice and I would definitely recommend them.

I have used my grill for many things, obviously as a gas grill, Ive used it to 'finish' steaks that I seared in a pan, roasting veggies, potatoes, I've used the rotisserie, and I have the charcoal basket that they sell.

A couple of observations. The side burner doesn't really have a 'low' setting, which makes sense being an outdoor burner, if it goes really low it could be blown out and then you are just pumping natural gas (or propane). So, its not great for simmering sauces, and things like that. You will find yourself pulling the pan off and on the burner so you don't burn things. I actually have an electric hot plate that I keep for simmering/reducing.

The rotisserie is a nice piece, but you pretty much have to take the grates out to use it, and you really can't put a pan under it to catch drippings (even with a small chicken).

I like the charcoal 'basket' I have not used it for smoking, I have used it for direct heat searing, its very nice.

If possible I would strongly recommend leaving enough space for a 1/2 sheet pan (about the size of a 'normal' cookie sheet) between the grill and the side burner, you will use that space constantly and having a place to put the items you are going to grill or fry etc that close will greatly reduce the need to clean up drips. If you are pan frying you can have the raw stuff on one side of the burner and the cooked stuff on the other.

Firemagic offers a glass window on the grill hood, I wouldn't get it if you are planning on actually using the grill.

I would consider putting the sink where the fridge is. The space next to the grill is always being used, you rarely will be taking an item directly from the sink and putting it on the grill, you will frequently be taking stuff out of the fridge and want to put it on your cutting board next to the grill. In addition, there is a good chance of getting a nasty burn if you grill hood is hot and you are working in a sink that is as close as it appears in the drawing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #1199
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Quote:
No, are you looking at gas or pellet?

I do have a couple of pellet cookers (Treager) that I have used a lot.
Gas
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #1200
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
Thanks for all the tips!!

The marks in red were just preliminary layout ideas but for sure I'll swap things around and make sure i have some clear space on the side of the grill. Once i have the actual equipment I'll have better idea of the actual arrangement given the space i have to work with.
I'll definitely check on the burner and see if i can test the one I'm getting to see how the flame works, it would be pity if you're unable to simmer things, my idea was not to have to walk back and forth to kitchen. I definitely plan on using the grill and was thinking of getting the glass window if I'm already going all out, i assume the concern is that it would frequently get dirty and would end up being more of a chore than accessory? My primary concern is that this stuff last a few years of moderate use without any failures, will also get the covers for grill and burner so its protected from elements.

Thank you again!
Yes, the concern is the glass always looking terrible.

Obviously I don't know your previous experience with gas grills, but if you have taken a look at the firemagic burner element I am sure you will be as impressed as I was. I don't see how one of those could ever burn out/wear out. They are thick cast stainless, and they have a crazy warranty.

Mine is under a solid roof, so I didn't get a cover, if it wasn't I definitely would get a cover.

Regarding the quality of Firemagic (I'm going to sound like a salesman for them), I really don't think you will find better quality, equal perhaps, but not better.

Be sure to post pictures of you progress!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #1201
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gas
Sorry, I can't help you on that.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #1202
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks!! I will try to post some pics once this project gets underway! I was told the same regarding burner and firebox? I called a few places around which service bbq's and asked what they thing would be a good brand long term and most all said least amount of repairs are associated with Firemagic so this is where i made the choice but again they are all sales man so i wanted to check with other sources as well. I'll have to think about that glass window on the hood may not opt for it and get something more useful instead. This set up will be fully exposed outdoors so surely i'll have the covers on when not in use. Excited to finally get the grill as i haven't done so in nearly a year since we moved it as our side yard is just dirt covered with mulch.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #1203
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Big Green Egg in Large size...just came home. Thank you facebook market place and people upgrading to XL!!!

Now.....to figure out the BGE experience!!!

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
MPOWER52664750.00
      12-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #1204
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Big Green Egg in Large size...just came home. Thank you facebook market place and people upgrading to XL!!!

Now.....to figure out the BGE experience!!!
i still want one of those, I just have no need for one with the other stuff i have, but I have had some great food out of a friends bge
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:55 AM   #1205
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

man it's too cold to grill outside
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #1206
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
not here, finally living in the peoples republic of California pays off!
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17809.50
      12-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #1207
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Nonsense. Last year for New Year's Eve I grilled the GF and I a couple of ribeyes. It was -20F. They were spectacular.
Attached Images

12-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #1208
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Nonsense. Last year for New Year's Eve I grilled the GF and I a couple of ribeyes. It was -20F. They were spectacular.
I know. I grilled when it was snowing if you look at the earlier post. I'm just being a pansy right now lol
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #1209
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

I reverse seared a tomahawk steak the other night. Tossed it in the oven for about 40 minutes at 250 until it hit 115 internal.

While it was in the oven, I got the egg up to about 700. I tossed the steak on the egg for just a couple of minutes each side. It came out amazing but I don't think the "tomahawk" part of it added anything special. I will probably just stick to normal ribeyes and strips from now on.

The next morning I reheated a couple slices in a cast iron skillet, and fried an egg. I dusted both of them with Grill Your Ass Off Gunpowder while they were in the skillet. It made for a great breakfast.

Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3572.50
Alfisti6435.00
      02-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #1210
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I did a load of beef short ribs over New Year's weekend. Twelve 3-bone racks. I get them at Restaurant Depot. They take a bit of trimming. Used my own home-made rub and smoked them over mesquite for about 6 hours.

We ate a few, but mainly I use them as an ingredient. They make for an out-of-this-world chili. The other thing I use them for is Beef Stroganoff, which I nicknamed "Beef Smokanoff." The rub and the mesquite smoke against the sour cream and mushrooms is a wonderful thing.
Attached Images

nyalpine907374.50
Alfisti6435.00
MKSixer34171.50
King Rudi13147.00
wrickem2101.00
TXSTYLE13610.00
David0ff1055.00
Torgus3773.00