Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #2113
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
No sound clips yet, getting a bunch of other work done too but here's a sneak peak at the AA EL midpipe install with a new Dinan axle back. Don't worry, I'll make tons of videos!
Now this is a setup I want to hear!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #2114
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Anybody else get a mild drone at 3k RPM under load?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #2115
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Yes. I have the non-resonated with factory downpipes, and with valves wide set to always open on BM3, the drone is unbearable. Setting the valves to OEM settings fixed the drone entirely, and makes it much more enjoyable to drive. Seems that is the consensus when running valves wide open, as it is essentially a straight pipe
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7600.50
Jamongkad239.00
      04-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #2116
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Yup, as rborane said above, it's effectively a straight pipe with valves open. Take a look at bsm.m4's pic above - although it's a Dinan axel-back, the OE exhaust routing is philosophically the same (pic below as well). Closed routes though the muffler, open routes directly out with only some gas coming through the muffler. Stock valve control closes the valves even in sport/sport+ under 3k + above second gear to avoid drone. If you do a third gear run from 1.5k you can audibly hear when the valve opens at 3k.

rborane241.00
      04-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #2117
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yup, as rborane said above, it's effectively a straight pipe with valves open. Take a look at bsm.m4's pic above - although it's a Dinan axel-back, the OE exhaust routing is philosophically the same (pic below as well). Closed routes though the muffler, open routes directly out with only some gas coming through the muffler. Stock valve control closes the valves even in sport/sport+ under 3k + above second gear to avoid drone. If you do a third gear run from 1.5k you can audibly hear when the valve opens at 3k.

So is there an axle back that doesn't drone, but flows well and sounds good with this midpipe??

I had the single midpipe prior to this, and there was ZERO drone at any RPM. It didn't sound as nice as this one, but god I can't stand drone. It was kind of a kick in the balls to install this expensive pipe that everyone raves about, and hear it start moo'ing at 3,000RPM.

Last edited by 1000hp; 04-19-2021 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #2118
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
So is there an axle back that doesn't drone, but flows well and sounds good with this midpipe??

I had the single midpipe prior to this, and there was ZERO drone at any RPM. It didn't sound as nice as this ome, but god I can't stand drone. It was kind of a kick in the balls to install this expensive pipe that everyone raves about, and here it start moo'ing at 3,000RPM.
I find that with OE valve control there is no drone under 3k rpm - there is only a small window of roughly 500rpm of audible drone from 3-3.5k to my ears. After 3.5k it opens up and starts screaming. It hasn't been an issue for me because I don't live in that 500rpm range, but other people's driving style may be different. For my driving style, I'm either granny mode or rev mode - If I am going to hit 3k then chances are I'm actually going to shift somewhere above 4.

Possible options could be to have some resonators installed, or to have a muffler with very little insulation so you can run with the valves closed and still get decent volume (maybe something like an MPE or equivalent design).

I guess as a question, are you stock everything else besides the mid pipe?
      04-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #2119
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:

I had the single midpipe prior to this, and there was ZERO drone at any RPM. It didn't sound as nice as this one, but god I can't stand drone. It was kind of a kick in the balls to install this expensive pipe that everyone raves about, and hear it start moo'ing at 3,000RPM.
Are you getting drone with valves closed?
      04-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #2120
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I find that with OE valve control there is no drone under 3k rpm - there is only a small window of roughly 500rpm of audible drone from 3-3.5k to my ears. After 3.5k it opens up and starts screaming. It hasn't been an issue for me because I don't live in that 500rpm range, but other people's driving style may be different. For my driving style, I'm either granny mode or rev mode - If I am going to hit 3k then chances are I'm actually going to shift somewhere above 4.

Possible options could be to have some resonators installed, or to have a muffler with very little insulation so you can run with the valves closed and still get decent volume (maybe something like an MPE or equivalent design).

Yes, stock everything except for the midpipe.
This is the resonated midpipe, too. I wonder if the drone is more or less pronounced with the non-resonated version. I've had other exhausts on other cars where deleting the factory resonator completely killed the factory drone, like the single midpipe did for this car (mild drone in 6th gear on the interstate).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:28 PM   #2121
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Are you getting drone with valves closed?
No.
I'm thinking that an axle back that sounds good without becoming a straight pipe might be my best bet.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #2122
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No.
I'm thinking that an axle back that sounds good without becoming a straight pipe might be my best bet.
Well I think your only option would be AA mad max muffler. The reason the stock muffler drones is because it was designed for stock tone frequencies, and EL messes with those pitches pretty significantly. With that said, if you don’t have drone with valves closed, I’d say the muffler is doing its job. The mad max doesn’t have straight pipes in its open valve state, so it’s worth a look. The large helmholtz chambers may help with the drone.
      04-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #2123
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well I think your only option would be AA mad max muffler. The reason the stock muffler drones is because it was designed for stock tone frequencies, and EL messes with those pitches pretty significantly. With that said, if you don’t have drone with valves closed, I’d say the muffler is doing its job. The mad max doesn’t have straight pipes in its open valve state, so it’s worth a look. The large helmholtz chambers may help with the drone.
It looks like the Mad Max goes to straight dumps with the valves open 🤔
But yeah I would imagine that 3rd can does a good job with the resonance. I would probably opt for the original 3-can without the cutouts for $$$ less. But then I would hate for it to be too quiet, and not have the valves at all to open it up for sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #2124
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, stock everything except for the midpipe.
This is the resonated midpipe, too. I wonder if the drone is more or less pronounced with the non-resonated version. I've had other exhausts on other cars where deleting the factory resonator completely killed the factory drone, like the single midpipe did for this car (mild drone in 6th gear on the interstate).
If you are on stock downpipes, I would run the non-resonated pipes and set valves to OEM. I think you will like it. It almost reminds me of how GT3's sound to where it is a very distinct sound when you hear the valves open fully lol. Running OEM valve settings you will get rid of most, if not all of the drone too like @rugbybro mentioned
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #2125
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It looks like the Mad Max goes to straight dumps with the valves open ��
But yeah I would imagine that 3rd can does a good job with the resonance. I would probably opt for the original 3-can without the cutouts for $$$ less. But then I would hate for it to be too quiet, and not have the valves at all to open it up for sound.
Yes but they are not in the direct path of the exhaust flow. They are off to the side so the effect is less than other rear sections with dedicated straight pipes that reroute to the muffler when valves are closed. There is a difference, and not all of the sound goes through the open section. In my opinion this is by far the safest option for drone cancellation.

Another benefit after looking at it again is that it hits the helmholtz resonator before the open pipe. This is a big benefit versus other mufflers.
      04-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #2126
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

I've ran the Dinan / EL setup since november and love it so far - besides the cold start with valves open. It basically screams on cold start and is an "F you" to the neighborhood upon cold start especially because it has some rasp. All is good when warm though - smooth buttery straight 6 noises.

I will probably get a valve controller.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #2127
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
If you are on stock downpipes, I would run the non-resonated pipes and set valves to OEM. I think you will like it. It almost reminds me of how GT3's sound to where it is a very distinct sound when you hear the valves open fully lol. Running OEM valve settings you will get rid of most, if not all of the drone too like @rugbybro mentioned
👍🏼I'll try that
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #2128
FAM3LYCAR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite F80-6MT

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
I posted a while back about some small leaks at the clamp locations right after install of my non-res EL mid pipe but after a few rounds of adjustments and about 500 miles on it now I’m happy to say all is good!

I’m all stock other than the midpipe and have no drone whatsoever at any RPM range. I was on the highway for 2 hours recently and couldn’t make it drone if I wanted to, in any setting.

Cold starts are awful like everyone says but I expected that and gave my neighbors advance notice but they still hate me.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #2129
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes but they are not in the direct path of the exhaust flow. They are off to the side so the effect is less than other rear sections with dedicated straight pipes that reroute to the muffler when valves are closed. There is a difference, and not all of the sound goes through the open section. In my opinion this is by far the safest option for drone cancellation.

Another benefit after looking at it again is that it hits the helmholtz resonator before the open pipe. This is a big benefit versus other mufflers.
Interesting. I may give that a try. It would be easier to experiment if these parts weren't $3,000+.
I promised myself I wouldn't go down the exhaust rabbit hole like I did with my e36 M3 (literally ten different mufflers and six different midpipes in various combinations) but I'm not off to a good start here lol.

Last edited by 1000hp; 04-20-2021 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #2130
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
I've ran the Dinan / EL setup since november and love it so far - besides the cold start with valves open. It basically screams on cold start and is an "F you" to the neighborhood upon cold start especially because it has some rasp. All is good when warm though - smooth buttery straight 6 noises.

I will probably get a valve controller.
The valve controller is worth every penny. I have mine programmed to the garage door opener buttons on the mirror. Works well.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #2131
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAM3LYCAR View Post
I posted a while back about some small leaks at the clamp locations right after install of my non-res EL mid pipe but after a few rounds of adjustments and about 500 miles on it now I’m happy to say all is good!

I’m all stock other than the midpipe and have no drone whatsoever at any RPM range. I was on the highway for 2 hours recently and couldn’t make it drone if I wanted to, in any setting.

Cold starts are awful like everyone says but I expected that and gave my neighbors advance notice but they still hate me.
This thing is 100% air tight. I'm fanatical about that.
Gonna try the non-res rear pipes and will report back. My neighbors are cool. We'll see how cool they stay...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:01 PM   #2132
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update: I put the non-res rear pipes on it tonight. Not much change. I like the resonators better.
Time to sell my organs for a muffler.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:39 AM   #2133
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Quick update: I put the non-res rear pipes on it tonight. Not much change. I like the resonators better.
Time to sell my organs for a muffler.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #2134
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
lol Standing by for coupon codes 😬
Appreciate 0