ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #2333
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

B58 with modded exhaust sounds really nice IMO. Nice traditional straight six sound.

What muffler is on your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #2334
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
B58 with modded exhaust sounds really nice IMO. Nice traditional straight six sound.

What muffler is on your car?
Yeah don't get me wrong, B58 sounds good but it's just not very raw - doesn't have a "scream" no matter what exhaust configuration it's running (same with N55 - I owned one for a while). The Supra was definitely not running a stock setup, sounded catless - that definitely helps uncork B58 a bit. Idk I may have just heard way too many B58/N55s that I've just gone numb to them lol! Honestly though, it's all a moot point cause S65 is the holy grail of BMW exhaust tones IMO and nothing else really comes close. That said, on the day my exhaust tone (not loudness) ranking was 1. S65, 2. EL S55, 3. Catless B58, 4. Stock B58.

I'm just running the stock base model muffler with black VHT spray paint that adds 69 hp
      06-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #2335
Rabidwooz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcrazipnoi33 View Post
Seems like active autowerke has started to ship. I received my tracking yesterday. I believe I ordered back in early April. Or late March.
I ordered 04MAR. How are people that ordered a month later getting theirs shipped? Damn.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #2336
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yeah don't get me wrong, B58 sounds good but it's just not very raw - doesn't have a "scream" no matter what exhaust configuration it's running (same with N55 - I owned one for a while). The Supra was definitely not running a stock setup, sounded catless - that definitely helps uncork B58 a bit. Idk I may have just heard way too many B58/N55s that I've just gone numb to them lol! Honestly though, it's all a moot point cause S65 is the holy grail of BMW exhaust tones IMO and nothing else really comes close. That said, on the day my exhaust tone (not loudness) ranking was 1. S65, 2. EL S55, 3. Catless B58, 4. Stock B58.

I'm just running the stock base model muffler with black VHT spray paint that adds 69 hp
Honestly I don't think there is a better sound than a high-RPM V8.
That includes the crazy screaming Ferrari V12s and everything else, IMO.
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7600.50
HotRodM4684.00
      06-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #2337
koh0886
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidwooz View Post
I ordered 04MAR. How are people that ordered a month later getting theirs shipped? Damn.

same, i ordered resonated tho so im hoping this week
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #2338
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:

The N55 doesn't scream until you open it up. I tried a few different setups and none of them were that loud until my final iteration.

Stock - super quiet

Stock DP + armytrix catback (valved) - very tame, barely can hear it in the cabin, I'd call this OE +. Its about as loud as my stock M40i.

Catless + armytrix - finally gave the car volume. Can be heard in cabin. Not offensively loud on the outside. Doesnt turn heads too often.

Catless + valetronic designs - less loud than the armytrix. Between OE+ & armytrix.

Catless + OE front pipe + Supersprint sec 2 + VRSF race - the first setup that's actually loud. Turns heads, offensively loud. Wakes the N55 up like nothing else. Will drone at many lower RPMs. Once you get to 4500 RPMs its a trumpet.

The N55 sounds so good imo. The turbo whistle through the exhaust is awesome. However, I think the right setup on a S55 would be better. The S55 sounds more angry with the EL mid pipe 7 catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #2339
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
WTF? I am March 10-11th and havent heard anything? Maybe it's who you ordered it through?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #2340
dizcrazipnoi33
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
Quote:
WTF? I am March 10-11th and havent heard anything? Maybe it's who you ordered it through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
Quote:
Clarification, I ordered on 3/8. Non resonated. I ordered directly through active autowerke. Sorry for the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #2341
repols
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
I have one, you cut in the same exact spot. Congrats and welcome to the club
hey mate, I have a disgusting droney resonance between 2500-3000 that makes me cringe every time with my current setup. Is there an easy way to fix this before I decide to weld my mpe back up and sell the eql please?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #2342
Kuucheki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition Packag

I hear so much about drone. I have the AA EL non resonated mated up to my zcp exhaust with almost 0 drone. With the valves closed there is absolutely no drone. Sounds as quiet as stock
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #2343
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by repols View Post
hey mate, I have a disgusting droney resonance between 2500-3000 that makes me cringe every time with my current setup. Is there an easy way to fix this before I decide to weld my mpe back up and sell the eql please?
I had this problem until I deleted cold start with Bootmod3.
Now that I have no cold-start, I have zero drone.

It has something to do with the cold start map.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #2344
repols
Rep

Quote:
I had this problem until I deleted cold start with Bootmod3.
Now that I have no cold-start, I have zero drone.

It has something to do with the cold start map.

Interesting, even after my temps are fully up there after a long drive, it still manages to make the exact same noise at those specific rpms. Unfortunately tuning isn't an option for me so may have to get shot of it if thats the only solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #2345
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, even after my temps are fully up there after a long drive, it still manages to make the exact same noise at those specific rpms. Unfortunately tuning isn't an option for me so may have to get shot of it if thats the only solution.
Are your valves open? That is a natural resonance from the exhaust when it’s acting as a straight pipe (valves open) and unrelated to cold start.
      06-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #2346
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How long a drive are we talking? Mine would boom for a good 20 minutes of driving before it finally quieted down. I thought it was the exhaust itself that had to heat up before it would sound normal. But now without the cold start I get a little more noise for about the first minute and then it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #2347
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are your valves open? That is a natural resonance from the exhaust when it’s acting as a straight pipe (valves open) and unrelated to cold start.
I don't have an MPE, but with the EL and my stock exhaust it droned its ass off for the first 20 minutes if I took it out of Efficient. I've made a dozen posts about it.
After deleting cold start it's gone. Hopefully it's not an MPE issue. If it is, I'm sorry you have to listen to that, because it sounds like absolute garbage.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #2348
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't have an MPE, but with the EL and my stock exhaust it droned its ass off for the first 20 minutes if I took it out of Efficient. I've made a dozen posts about it.
After deleting cold start it's gone. Hopefully it's not an MPE issue. If it is, I'm sorry you have to listen to that, because it sounds like absolute garbage.
Oh yeah so there are two distinct drones here (I think he is specifically talking about #2):

1. Cold start drone - solved with cold start delete. Agree with you this is super annoying, borderline embarrassing lol
2. 3k resonance/drone - very noticeable in any sort of straight pipe configuration (valves open). Ever noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear on stock valve control as the valves are open in both those gears. Once it hits third, the valves are closed at that RPM until you really get on it or hit the upper rev range.

He could be hearing it more because MPE has no sound insulation, so it's louder in the valve closed setting and more of that drone is passing through
      06-15-2021, 04:18 PM   #2349
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
2. 3k resonance/drone - very noticeable in any sort of straight pipe configuration (valves open). Ever noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear on stock valve control as the valves are open in both those gears. Once it hits third, the valves are closed at that RPM until you really get on it or hit the upper rev range.

He could be hearing it more because MPE has no sound insulation, so it's louder in the valve closed setting and more of that drone is passing through
The 3,000RPM drone is gone for me now too.
That was there for me whether the valves were open or completely closed (Efficient mode) for the first 20mins of driving. With my 6MT, it happened when cruising at 80MPH in 6th gear. I posted about that, too.
That, too, is gone now after the cold start delete.

The only time I get any obnoxious noise is A) for the first one or two minutes of driving, valves open, with more than about 1/4 throttle, or B) When I let off the gas to shift at ~4k-5k and it makes the screaming fart sound. In both cases I'm talking about the shitty non-res trumpet sound, NOT drone.

There is zero drone at any time now that I have shut off cold start. No bulls**t. I've been complaining about the drone since I got the EL, and it's now completely gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #2350
repols
Rep

Quote:
Have tried both with valves forced open & default oem setting in efficient and wasnt much different to be honest, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #2351
repols
Rep

Quote:
How long a drive are we talking? Mine would boom for a good 20 minutes of driving before it finally quieted down. I thought it was the exhaust itself that had to heat up before it would sound normal. But now without the cold start I get a little more noise for about the first minute and then it's normal.
My first drive after install was a solid 150 mile round trip and was the same from start to finish, & hasn't changed in the last week since install no matter what temp. I guess the MPE pairing was a mistake, guess we live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #2352
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My first drive after install was a solid 150 mile round trip and was the same from start to finish, & hasn't changed in the last week since install no matter what temp. I guess the MPE pairing was a mistake, guess we live and learn.
That sucks. I would ask others with that same combo if they have issues with drone. It might have something to do with the titanium.

Mine was pretty obnoxious between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, and again at 3,000 when the exhaust was a little warmer. But aside from the 3k RPM drone in 6th I don't think I ever heard it for longer than 20 minutes.

Why is tuning not an option? With Bootmod3 you can tune the car to GTS spec, which is a factory map, and use the cold start delete feature to shut it off. If your drone is hanging in there for 150 miles it may not help, but it's worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #2353
repols
Rep

Quote:
That sucks. I would ask others with that same combo if they have issues with drone. It might have something to do with the titanium.

Mine was pretty obnoxious between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, and again at 3,000 when the exhaust was a little warmer. But aside from the 3k RPM drone in 6th I don't think I ever heard it for longer than 20 minutes.

Why is tuning not an option? With Bootmod3 you can tune the car to GTS spec, which is a factory map, and use the cold start delete feature to shut it off. If your drone is hanging in there for 150 miles it may not help, but it's worth a shot.
Dealerships are extremely strict here and will decline warranty for literally anything they can, so I wont be making any changes that cant be reversed without a trace. So tuning is out of the question since the new ISTA can detect any and all tampering, even if reverted back to stock etc.

I also don't think the ti backbox is doing it any favours so might try the stock system and see if I like that. Many thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #2354
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dealerships are extremely strict here and will decline warranty for literally anything they can, so I wont be making any changes that cant be reversed without a trace. So tuning is out of the question since the new ISTA can detect any and all tampering, even if reverted back to stock etc.

I also don't think the ti backbox is doing it any favours so might try the stock system and see if I like that. Many thanks for the help
Well, that's why we revolted 😆

I hear that titanium exhausts produce more resonance. Never had one myself.
The base exhaust is pretty underwhelming, but if yours drones that badly it may be worth it.
You could also try another aftermarket muffler since you've already cut the MPE muffler anyway.
Appreciate 0