Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-20-2023, 09:47 PM   #23123
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Acid Green and Speed Yellow 4RS are both consignments, not CPO. I haven't really asked about the Arctic Grey situation but I am pretty certain it is also consignment, because they (owner) can sell it at the price they bought it, the dealer only takes a % of it.

If it is CPO, they lose more $$ on it because they have to certify it and all of that. Which takes time and $$ and these owners are close multiple car buyers from the dealer. Lets be honest, a car under freaken 500 miles don't need to be certified ffs.
Look here. CPO
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:10 PM   #23124
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Obviously on a blue collar scale compared to GT cars, but around 2003 I bought a nice 2001 Imola red E46 M3 from a local "boutique" BMW dealer. While it was a nice car, I really didn't take to the car at all. Wound up putting it up for sale a month later at $1k over what I paid for it, not expecting to get that price but of course giving myself some wiggle room to at least get close to what I paid for it on negotiations.

Posted it for sale on bimmerforums, and within hours I get a call from the place I bought it from asking me to sell them the car back. When I told them I wouldn't even bother as they'd probably offer me 4-5k less than I paid for it, the guy got upset, called me a "flipper", and went through the whole BS story about giving me a good deal because I was nice guy and now I was treating him like a jerk etc. How in the hell can I be a "flipper" if I'm trying to sell the car for $1k more than I paid for it, when you factor in sales tax and everything else involved? I hung up on him.

It was batshit crazy back then and its batshit crazy now. Who the hell these dealers think they are to get off like that, it's just ridiculous. They sell you a car, you give them the money, they give you a title, good bye (and oftentimes good riddance).

Good grief.
Appreciate 5
Arcades8169.50
minn1914030.00
gatorfast4994.50
GERMAN M34181.00
Clark_Kent2227.50
      03-20-2023, 10:19 PM   #23125
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
Look here. CPO
They're consignments, I was told.

When I sold my M3 through them, they also listed it that way, not sure why.

It could be both CPO and consignment but not sure how it would work. I'll ask tomorrow.
      03-20-2023, 10:23 PM   #23126
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I get the same BS from them all the time. If you sell them your car, they find excuse to pay you less like your car needs an Inspection II in sixth months lol. They allow you to flip when they get their 5% consignment fee
Appreciate 1
minn1914030.00
      03-20-2023, 10:24 PM   #23127
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They're consignments, I was told.

When I sold my M3 through them, they also listed it that way, not sure why.

It could be both CPO and consignment but not sure how it would work. I'll ask tomorrow.
I am not buying so don't bother asking
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:31 PM   #23128
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I get the same BS from them all the time. If you sell them your car, they find excuse to pay you less like your car needs an Inspection II in sixth months lol. They allow you to flip when they get their 5% consignment fee
Yeah my CA told me they are consignment cars, same as the GSM who told me a few days ago.

They must just list them there for some reason. They probably gain the same amount roughly, just the owners choice. You know... the super rich type folks.

No worries, I'm just learning about it myself. I'm just miffed these cars aren't going to the right owners but business is business.
minn1914030.00
NickyC17473.50
      03-20-2023, 10:36 PM   #23129
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah my CA told me they are consignment cars, same as the GSM who told me a few days ago.

They must just list them there for some reason. They probably gain the same amount roughly, just the owners choice. You know... the super rich type folks.

No worries, I'm just learning about it myself. I'm just miffed these cars aren't going to the right owners but business is business.
Actually if they are CPO, it's not a bad deal with almost six years warranty
Appreciate 1
Arcades8169.50
      03-20-2023, 11:12 PM   #23130
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Speaking about the nonsense of GT cars...

Sedan_Clan any news on yours?
Sedan_Clan25059.50
      03-21-2023, 06:37 AM   #23131
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
Porsche owners: How are the interior rattles? I'm curious about how solid the inside is over the course of a few thousand miles.

Interior rattles are no go for me and if I thought about having a Porsche as a DD, I'd love to know how the interior holds up with some miles on the clock.
My 16 year old with 45k miles has nary a squeak nor rattle.
Appreciate 4
minn1914030.00
Arcades8169.50
dizz81311.00
      03-21-2023, 11:11 AM   #23132
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Speaking about the nonsense of GT cars...

Sedan_Clan any news on yours?
Nothing as of yet. I’m hoping I don’t hear anything until later this year. I’ll have the Panigale V4 and Corolla paid off by then, allocating an extra $800 towards a GT3.
Appreciate 4
minn1914030.00
mzcp2682.50
clutchdj1877.00
Arcades8169.50
      03-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #23133
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
I'm pretty certain the GT4RS will be the purchased price + markup. On average in LA (or Cali) it is +100k. That has been the case for both the previous ones that been consignment. Acid Green and Speed Yellow one, I am pretty sure it is the case with this Arctic Grey as well. Soo, don't expect it to be cheaper.

If the owner is selling it outside of the dealership network they definitely will get banned from buying a GT car again. In the recent market, dealers are extremely weary of their GT cars being sold like that (aka outside of dealership network). However, as these cars are consignments through a Porsche dealer, they aren't going to be in trouble. See it like how Ferrari does it. Instead of Ferrari pretty much demanding you to sell the car back to them if you are to get rid of it, Porsche... quietly recommends you to either sell or consignment it through dealers. That is why so many of these recent GT cars seem to go back to dealerships because the owners (generally) realize if they do it through BaT or anywhere else and get caught, they will get in trouble.

If they are consignments, they sell it as the owners want to sell them at. These aren't certified used cars, which is kind of the difference. They are consignments. If dealers catch you trying to flip these cars, that is when you get in trouble as allocation numbers for the GT4RS and GT3RS (992) are extremely low.
Hey Arcades ….my question is this. Is there something in the buyers agreement when you purchase a GT car from Porsche that states you will get banned from purchasing another GT from Porsche if you sell outside of the network? Seems like the dealers are lining their pockets with even more cash. Thanks for any input.
      03-21-2023, 04:27 PM   #23134
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Hey Arcades ….my question is this. Is there something in the buyers agreement when you purchase a GT car from Porsche that states you will get banned from purchasing another GT from Porsche if you sell outside of the network? Seems like the dealers are lining their pockets with even more cash. Thanks for any input.
Their isn’t, but there is an official blacklist that PCNA shares with all dealers. VIP customers are the only ones exempt from it and are usually the flippers.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34181.00
mzcp2682.50
      03-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #23135
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
VIP customers are the only ones exempt from it and are usually the flippers.
Well isn't that a bunch of bullshit
Appreciate 6
clutchdj1877.00
mzcp2682.50
minn1914030.00
NickyC17473.50
icegrill2078.00
GrussGott18170.00
      03-21-2023, 05:17 PM   #23136
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
There used to be actually. Years ago, there used to be something you sign when taking delivery that says you cannot sell the car within the first year (or half a year), cannot export etc, or you will get banned. This was prevalent during the 2015ish? Even BMW did so, as I signed it for both my M4 and M3, our original Macan S (2017), two Cayenne E-Hybrids as well.

However, no dealership can really enforce this rule because they realized pretty quickly that they really cannot. Most of the time even if they do, they lose $$ doing so because a lot of good buyers and good clients still do it, so there wasn't really a point in trying to enforcing it. Then when the chip shortages and all of that came around, while Porsche doesn't tell you this, they keep an eye on the recent GT & RS cars, especially due to their low volume and they do not want them flipped. Porsche won't mind if you sell the car back to the dealers or consignment them through a Porsche dealer, but if they catch you trying to intentionally flip them new, they will blacklist you. Porsche definitely didn't care during the 991 days because there were so many of those darn things, it didn't matter. It is not the case this time around.

Some Rennlister already reported one owner to a GM and got him blacklisted. This owner was apparently kind of dumb, the car only had delivery miles, listed it on BaT. The RL member knew of the car, immediately notified the GM of the dealership (apparently he knew the GM) and... boom. The other was warned by Porsche NA directly that they won't stop him from selling the car at BaT (PCNA saw the listing) but they will no longer allow him to buy a car from Porsche if he goes through with it, so he chickened out and BaT took his listing off. PCNA seems to keep track of the VIN of the 718 RS cars and soon to be 992 GT3RS, so they will know who sold it and where.

Porsche, like I said, is taking the route Ferrari does but on a lesser scale. They won't ban/blacklist VIPs because those guys are usually so loaded it won't matter to them (the owners). And VIPs are generally extremely smart about it. I have an rough idea of how they go about and around it actually but I won't say it as I was told in private. Remember, VIPs (918 owners) are usually, very... very rich. They have cars much more expensive than a GT3RS/GT4RS. These cars are a drop in a bucket for them, so it won't matter all that much to the VIPs regardless.

So, to answer your question. No there isn't anything you sign now but Porsche does keep track of the GT cars, especially the RS cars because of how low in volume they are. I know people aren't happy with markups and crap like that, no one is but you have to remember just the sheer amount of people behind the scenes when it comes to a dealership. It isn't always the GM being greedy about it, they don't have enough cars to sell. Less cars = less income for dealers and not being able to pay ALL of the people there. And you can also blame economics. Less things to sell = more expensive. There is a reason why so many car manufacturers been focusing more on the volume cars because they need them. All these SUVs, crossovers are currently what matters for any manufacturer not just Porsche as they keep the lights on. That means less production for the unique ones.

Edit: They don't touch the VIPs because those guys will keep buying regardless. Least in my area, those cars always go back to the dealers when they want to get rid of them. I saw the same China Grey GT3 992 like... 2 times at DTLA Porsche. Most of these owners, aren't car enthusiasts, they just buy them, drive a little and sell them back to the dealer. Regardless of how some feel about it, like I said, business is business.

Last edited by Arcades; 03-21-2023 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 3
GERMAN M34181.00
minn1914030.00
AlterZgo1537.50
      03-21-2023, 06:20 PM   #23137
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
Porsche owners: How are the interior rattles? I'm curious about how solid the inside is over the course of a few thousand miles.

Interior rattles are no go for me and if I thought about having a Porsche as a DD, I'd love to know how the interior holds up with some miles on the clock.
No rattles but I only have a few hundred miles on the clock.
      03-21-2023, 06:39 PM   #23138
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
There used to be actually. Years ago, there used to be something you sign when taking delivery that says you cannot sell the car within the first year (or half a year), cannot export etc, or you will get banned. This was prevalent during the 2015ish? Even BMW did so, as I signed it for both my M4 and M3, our original Macan S (2017), two Cayenne E-Hybrids as well.

However, no dealership can really enforce this rule because they realized pretty quickly that they really cannot. Most of the time even if they do, they lose $$ doing so because a lot of good buyers and good clients still do it, so there wasn't really a point in trying to enforcing it. Then when the chip shortages and all of that came around, while Porsche doesn't tell you this, they keep an eye on the recent GT & RS cars, especially due to their low volume and they do not want them flipped. Porsche won't mind if you sell the car back to the dealers or consignment them through a Porsche dealer, but if they catch you trying to intentionally flip them new, they will blacklist you. Porsche definitely didn't care during the 991 days because there were so many of those darn things, it didn't matter. It is not the case this time around.

Some Rennlister already reported one owner to a GM and got him blacklisted. This owner was apparently kind of dumb, the car only had delivery miles, listed it on BaT. The RL member knew of the car, immediately notified the GM of the dealership (apparently he knew the GM) and... boom. The other was warned by Porsche NA directly that they won't stop him from selling the car at BaT (PCNA saw the listing) but they will no longer allow him to buy a car from Porsche if he goes through with it, so he chickened out and BaT took his listing off. PCNA seems to keep track of the VIN of the 718 RS cars and soon to be 992 GT3RS, so they will know who sold it and where.

Porsche, like I said, is taking the route Ferrari does but on a lesser scale. They won't ban/blacklist VIPs because those guys are usually so loaded it won't matter to them (the owners). And VIPs are generally extremely smart about it. I have an rough idea of how they go about and around it actually but I won't say it as I was told in private. Remember, VIPs (918 owners) are usually, very... very rich. They have cars much more expensive than a GT3RS/GT4RS. These cars are a drop in a bucket for them, so it won't matter all that much to the VIPs regardless.

So, to answer your question. No there isn't anything you sign now but Porsche does keep track of the GT cars, especially the RS cars because of how low in volume they are. I know people aren't happy with markups and crap like that, no one is but you have to remember just the sheer amount of people behind the scenes when it comes to a dealership. It isn't always the GM being greedy about it, they don't have enough cars to sell. Less cars = less income for dealers and not being able to pay ALL of the people there. And you can also blame economics. Less things to sell = more expensive. There is a reason why so many car manufacturers been focusing more on the volume cars because they need them. All these SUVs, crossovers are currently what matters for any manufacturer not just Porsche as they keep the lights on. That means less production for the unique ones.

Edit: They don't touch the VIPs because those guys will keep buying regardless. Least in my area, those cars always go back to the dealers when they want to get rid of them. I saw the same China Grey GT3 992 like... 2 times at DTLA Porsche. Most of these owners, aren't car enthusiasts, they just buy them, drive a little and sell them back to the dealer. Regardless of how some feel about it, like I said, business is business.
Thanks for the response @Arcades. Makes much more sense now, especially with post Covid shortages of GT and RS cars. Can’t really blame Porsche for trying to keep them within the network. Thanks again buddy.
      03-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #23139
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The right answer is as long as the dealers make more money post sale. They don't give a Damm. Money talks.
Appreciate 1
minn1914030.00
      03-22-2023, 10:56 AM   #23140
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
The right answer is as long as the dealers make more money post sale. They don't give a Damm. Money talks.
This, unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
mzcp2682.50
      03-22-2023, 11:04 AM   #23141
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just let dealers and consumers charge what the market will bear. I don’t know what MSRP dealers expect customers to do when they sell cars for $50-100k under market to “good” customers (you can turn anyone into a “good” customer leaving that much on the table).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #23142
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

We picked up my lady’s Dravit Gray M440i today from my New Century BMW connect (...you know who Arcades). Here are a few pics prior to the dealer doing the prep. I'll take it to have the windows tinted in a few weeks and I'm going to order some body-colored front reflectors from IND through EAS. I may actually pay for clear bra to be installed on her front bumper since this is her daily and she drives a lot of miles.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-23-2023 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 8
Arcades8169.50
minn1914030.00
NickyC17473.50
icegrill2078.00
mzcp2682.50
AlterZgo1537.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      03-23-2023, 07:03 PM   #23143
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We picked up my lady’s Dravit Gray M440i today from my New Century BMW connect (...you know who Arcades). Here are a few pics prior to the dealer doing the prep. I'll take it to have the windows tinted in a few weeks and I'm going to order some body-colored front reflectors from @[IND-Distribution through EAS. I may actually pay for clear bra to be installed on her front bumper since this is her daily and she drives a lot of miles.
I should :P

I like Dravit Grey. Reminds me of Medio.
Sedan_Clan25059.50
      03-24-2023, 11:23 PM   #23144
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Obviously on a blue collar scale compared to GT cars, but around 2003 I bought a nice 2001 Imola red E46 M3 from a local "boutique" BMW dealer. While it was a nice car, I really didn't take to the car at all. Wound up putting it up for sale a month later at $1k over what I paid for it, not expecting to get that price but of course giving myself some wiggle room to at least get close to what I paid for it on negotiations.

Posted it for sale on bimmerforums, and within hours I get a call from the place I bought it from asking me to sell them the car back. When I told them I wouldn't even bother as they'd probably offer me 4-5k less than I paid for it, the guy got upset, called me a "flipper", and went through the whole BS story about giving me a good deal because I was nice guy and now I was treating him like a jerk etc. How in the hell can I be a "flipper" if I'm trying to sell the car for $1k more than I paid for it, when you factor in sales tax and everything else involved? I hung up on him.

It was batshit crazy back then and its batshit crazy now. Who the hell these dealers think they are to get off like that, it's just ridiculous. They sell you a car, you give them the money, they give you a title, good bye (and oftentimes good riddance).

Good grief.
There are enough dealers around to only purchase from them once if they’re acting insane so what do I care.

I bought two cars in the span of a year from the same dealer and they flew me to their location, picked me up at the airport and fixed everything for me and even paid for road tolls on my way home due to some late government paperwork so I wouldn’t get delayed, have to wait or get administration fees from the toll station due to unfinished registration.

When I sold my car the last time everyone wanted it and I got called from dealers about it but almost all of them tried to undersell it as for me to get low balled or think it was less worth so I know who to avoid, except the one place who said “if you got that price why are we even talking, take the deal with that guy as we can’t match that”.

Still trying to figure out where to head next in regards to purchase.
Appreciate 3
NickyC17473.50
minn1914030.00
icegrill2078.00