BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-06-2024, 10:13 AM   #1
LXAS613
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (Base)

Map CS EDC Tuning to One Drive Mode?

Good morning all,

Just wondering if anyone has a process (or can answer if it is even possible) for mapping the "aftermarket" F8X CS EDC tuning to only ONE drive mode in my base F80. I purchased the "GTS Coding" pack from BimmerCode but had them hold out on the CS EDC tuning because I read some testimonials from folks that did not have the supporting hardware (ZCP anti roll bar and ZCP front shocks) and they mentioned that the ride and suspension performance is compromised because the software is written with those components in mind. I did not want to have a floaty/vague feel from my suspension.

That said, I really would like a softer ride on my rough Midwestern streets, and probably wouldn't mind the floaty feel when I am just cruising around town. But I would like to map the EDC coding to "Comfort" only so that when I do want to rip, the default EDC tuning for Sport and Sport+ kicks in.

Is this doable? Or is the EDC coding done in a way that is more "wholistic" and the vehicle won't be able to change damping on the fly, between settings?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 11:53 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I doubt that’s possible because you have to recode the car to change EDC to a different version/model.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 01:24 PM   #3
LXAS613
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I doubt that’s possible because you have to recode the car to change EDC to a different version/model.
Makes total sense to me, and aligns with my own suspicions... well darn. In that case, I would love to hear more from people who have done the CS EDC on their Base F80 without any hardware upgrades. I found a few posts on it, and people say it definitely helps with comfort but leaves the car feeling off since the hardware isn't there. But how off...? Will I care for DD usage? Might just need to have the guys install it and see for myself. I can always revert...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 01:32 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXAS613 View Post
Makes total sense to me, and aligns with my own suspicions... well darn. In that case, I would love to hear more from people who have done the CS EDC on their Base F80 without any hardware upgrades. I found a few posts on it, and people say it definitely helps with comfort but leaves the car feeling off since the hardware isn't there. But how off...? Will I care for DD usage? Might just need to have the guys install it and see for myself. I can always revert...
If you’re doing it yourself or have a friend doing it then it would cost you little to nothing to try different EDC coding and find the one you like the best. High-end motorsport dampers are not revalved if different sway bars and/or spring rates (high-end monotube dampers can handle a large change in spring rate before needing to be revalved) are used so the CS damper tuning is more about how sprung and unsprung masses are being controlled.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 05-06-2024 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2024, 09:15 AM   #5
Monkibouy
Rep
Drives: BSM F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXAS613 View Post
Also having a base F80 (2015), I generally liked what the CS coding did w/the stock suspension compared to stock programming. Rebound was improved, comfort was more comfortable, and the chassis was generally more controlled but the float on the front end was still present. If I had to quantify it, it was probably a 20-25% improvement across the board with no real negative handling aspects to note compared to stock (this is when used as a spirited daily driver). I'd recommend giving it a go and just see if it's for you.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 08:57 AM   #6
LXAS613
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkibouy View Post
Also having a base F80 (2015), I generally liked what the CS coding did w/the stock suspension compared to stock programming. Rebound was improved, comfort was more comfortable, and the chassis was generally more controlled but the float on the front end was still present. If I had to quantify it, it was probably a 20-25% improvement across the board with no real negative handling aspects to note compared to stock (this is when used as a spirited daily driver). I'd recommend giving it a go and just see if it's for you.
This is GREAT info, thanks for providing your feedback! That use case (spirited daily driver) is exactly how I use my car, so hearing your experience is helpful. I think I am going to give it a try; if it makes daily driving on these Indiana roads a bit better, I am all for it. Just didn't want the performance to be impacted too much, since these handle so well. I plan to do at least one of the suspension upgrades to get it close to the CS though, and install the ZCP anti-roll bar. That might help a bit since the CS EDC tuning is banking on it.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 11:17 AM   #7
LXAS613
Rep

OP: Following up on this thread, so that anyone in my situation can have a testimonial to help with their EDC CS tuning decision.

I had the CS EDC coding done Saturday morning and noticed a pretty drastic difference in the ride quality, as soon as I rolled onto a main road. As others have stated, every chassis movement communicated to my butt does feel a lot more compliant and well mannered after the coding, and on "Comfort" settings. I notice less crashing over bumps in the road, and the secondary "bounce" from the damping feels a lot more cushy. Overall, this is really how I wanted my M to ride every day as I commute around town.

That said, I also immediately noticed a "disconnect" between the chassis and my butt, that I can't help but describe (non-technically) as a few mm of space in the shocks now. I know that's not quite how it works, but I just feel slightly disconnected from everything after the coding. The front end was already a bit unpredictable, and now it really won't tell you what is going on until it's too late and traction has been lost. I imagine that will be remedied whenever I choose to install ZCP shocks on the front. I am on MPHAS which helps with communication, but the coding definitely takes a bit of feel out of turn in and traction.

I am unsure if the disconnect I feel is going to bother me and trump the ride quality benefits. On the one hand I am much happier with getting around town, but on the other hand I dont like the idea of my car not being able to perform at 8-9/10ths anymore. Not that I drive like that often anyway, but I WANT to be able to, ya know? So I think I will budget for the ZCP front shocks and get my MP HAS setup on those, and see where we stand. I would bet that that combo is going to be perfect for what I want...

Best thing I can recommend is for people to try the CS EDC coding out and see if it works for your use case! Thanks to all the forum members that helped me make a decision.
Appreciate 0