Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-25-2024, 02:00 PM   #1
f82edwards
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.40]
Shavings in oil?

Just changed my oil yesterday for the first time on my car, just bought it two months ago. Cars at 65k miles and saw this, is this normal or not?

Also seems like my valve cover gasket is due for a replacement?

Thanks in advance for the feedback! Luckily everything’s under warranty 🤣
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 01:53 AM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.70]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f82edwards View Post
Just changed my oil yesterday for the first time on my car, just bought it two months ago. Cars at 65k miles and saw this, is this normal or not?

Also seems like my valve cover gasket is due for a replacement?

Thanks in advance for the feedback! Luckily everything’s under warranty 🤣
I’m not too sure about the shavings. But for your valve cover gasket, that’s covered under CA Emission warranty lol.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I’m not too sure about the shavings. But for your valve cover gasket, that’s covered under CA Emission warranty lol.
Isn’t the valve cover replaced by BMW warranty for free only if the PCV, emissions critical part, has failed? I don’t believe a leaky VC gasket will be replaced for free.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 04:26 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.70]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Isn’t the valve cover replaced by BMW warranty for free only if the PCV, emissions critical part, has failed? I don’t believe a leaky VC gasket will be replaced for free.
No, the valve cover itself is not covered. If your PCV fails and you need a new valve cover, it’s not covered. It’s omitted in the book and it only states “Valve Cover Gasket” lol. Some people are able to get the PCV/Valve cover covered by warranty but in the manual under California Emission Warranty it clearly states only the gasket. I went back and forth with BMW NA for a little bit and I didn’t want to push it too hard since some people were getting lucky with it and create a whole scene about why some people get it warranted and ruin it for the rest of everyone else. Legally I had no foot to stand on and it was only like 2K USD out of pocket plus I got an M440i for a week to drive around for free and learned that the M440i is not a true M product in my books lol.

Other BMWs have the valve cover stated in the books I believe. But this varies car to car so it’s important to read the owners manual.

However if my turbos or my top mount intercooler goes, then I know I have legal footing since that is clearly stated in the CA Emission section.
Appreciate 1
NWH8331.50
      05-26-2024, 04:35 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No, the valve cover itself is not covered. If your PCV fails and you need a new valve cover, it’s not covered. It’s omitted in the book and it only states “Valve Cover Gasket” lol. Some people are able to get the PCV/Valve cover covered by warranty but in the manual under California Emission Warranty it clearly states only the gasket. I went back and forth with BMW NA for a little bit and I didn’t want to push it too hard since some people were getting lucky with it and create a whole scene about why some people get it warranted and ruin it for the rest of everyone else. Legally I had no foot to stand on and it was only like 2K USD out of pocket plus I got an M440i for a week to drive around for free and learned that the M440i is not a true M product in my books lol.

Other BMWs have the valve cover stated in the books I believe. But this varies car to car so it’s important to read the owners manual.

However if my turbos or my top mount intercooler goes, then I know I have legal footing since that is clearly stated in the CA Emission section.
There’s a thread that has BMW’s new position of covering a failed PCV along with an extended warranty to 8 years/80k miles. A large group of people must have challenged BMW and won. This was released late last year.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 04:45 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.70]
Quote:
There’s a thread that has BMW’s new position of covering a failed PCV along with an extended warranty to 8 years/80k miles. A large group of people must have challenged BMW and won. This was released late last year.
If you're talking about this thread...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2062695

It sounded like it's more for the B58 and nothing for the S55. There's no evidence or letter I/We can use. Unless there is another thread?

Here is the actual document though.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attac...6&d=1700666942

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 04:51 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you're talking about this thread...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2062695

It sounded like it's more for the B58 and nothing for the S55. There's no evidence or letter I/We can use. Unless there is another thread?

Here is the actual document though.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attac...6&d=1700666942
I recall a thread where a forum member had his replaced under Warranty by BMW. I’m certain it’s a different thread but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 05:10 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.70]
Quote:
I recall a thread where a forum member had his replaced under Warranty by BMW. I’m certain it’s a different thread but I could be wrong.
Well if you ever find anything that I can use to bring to BMW and get $2K back, please quote me. That's like a new set of tires right there.

Appreciate 0