GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-26-2024, 06:15 AM   #1
jaycdynasty
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 F82

Eventuri carbon charge pipe issue

Hi fam!

I heard that the carbon charge pipe theere might be a chance would leak or break, they are not as safe as aluminium ones. What if they have ceramic coating ? Would it be better? Because there is a ceramic version of the Eventuri charge pipe is selling on IND, I’m considering to get it to match with the other gloss carbon in the engine bay.

Thank you guys!
      05-26-2024, 07:49 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

From my understanding they are pressure tested to 5x MOP which should demonstrate sufficient structural integrity. There’s one guy on the forum believes the CF tubes are made by bonding two half circles together which is not true. The seam of resin that runs down the tube is created by the mold. Plies are stacked across the seam. Ceramic coating has absolutely no effect on the strength of the CF tubes but it could be used on the top coat of the CF tubes. I’m not aware of any Eventuri CF CPs.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 09:49 AM   #3
jaycdynasty
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
From my understanding they are pressure tested to 5x MOP which should demonstrate sufficient structural integrity. There’s one guy on the forum believes the CF tubes are made by bonding two half circles together which is not true. The seam of resin that runs down the tube is created by the mold. Plies are stacked across the seam. Ceramic coating has absolutely no effect on the strength of the CF tubes but it could be used on the top coat of the CF tubes. I’m not aware of any Eventuri CF CPs.
So does it mean the Eventuri CF CPs are not that easy to break?
      05-26-2024, 10:50 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycdynasty View Post
So does it mean the Eventuri CF CPs are not that easy to break?
Yes. They’ve been proof loaded to ~130,000 psia - do you plan on running boost pressure near this value?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 12:52 PM   #5
ra2289
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

I recently switched from Eventuri CF Charge Pipes to metal. Here is my personal experience although YMMV.

TLDR: Worked for a while until they didn’t. Leak point was the flange to silicon coupler attachment and/or the bottom coupler to the charge pipe, I believe.

Long Version:

I was running these CF charge pipes for a little more than a year and never had any issues. Unfortunately, my charge pipes developed an issue around the flanges that attach to the turbos. The flanges and/or the silicon couplers to the flanges started to not hold boost and developed a very noticeable audible leak with accompanying loss of power, CEL, and codes. The first time it happened I had a shop smoke test the car and the issue above was found and corrected. They stayed attached for about a day or so until approaching full boost and the leak developed around the same area again.

I adjusted them a handful of times again, myself, as well as going back to stage 1/babying the car until my metal CPs arrived. They worked well for me but once the leaks started around that flange area they continued to dislodge. After each leak I would disassemble the CPs, look for obvious issues then reinstall.

As far as I can tell there are no leaks or cracks to the carbon shell itself. The ends(which have a metal rings embedded) of the CPs look the same and do not appear warped or cracked. The CNC machined flanges look normal. The o-rings to the flanges appear normal and still fit snug within the flange itself.

Note: I didn’t run into these issues until a little after I installed a Wagner top mount. I was Stage 2 ACN before and after the top mount so not tons of power, but maybe enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 01:19 PM   #6
jaycdynasty
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
I recently switched from Eventuri CF Charge Pipes to metal. Here is my personal experience although YMMV.

TLDR: Worked for a while until they didn’t. Leak point was the flange to silicon coupler attachment and/or the bottom coupler to the charge pipe, I believe.

Long Version:

I was running these CF charge pipes for a little more than a year and never had any issues. Unfortunately, my charge pipes developed an issue around the flanges that attach to the turbos. The flanges and/or the silicon couplers to the flanges started to not hold boost and developed a very noticeable audible leak with accompanying loss of power, CEL, and codes. The first time it happened I had a shop smoke test the car and the issue above was found and corrected. They stayed attached for about a day or so until approaching full boost and the leak developed around the same area again.

I adjusted them a handful of times again, myself, as well as going back to stage 1/babying the car until my metal CPs arrived. They worked well for me but once the leaks started around that flange area they continued to dislodge. After each leak I would disassemble the CPs, look for obvious issues then reinstall.

As far as I can tell there are no leaks or cracks to the carbon shell itself. The ends(which have a metal rings embedded) of the CPs look the same and do not appear warped or cracked. The CNC machined flanges look normal. The o-rings to the flanges appear normal and still fit snug within the flange itself.

Note: I didn’t run into these issues until a little after I installed a Wagner top mount. I [...]
So may I ask if the CF CP have no issue that you believed, why did you still swtich to the metal ones?
      05-26-2024, 01:44 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

ra2289

The Wagner TMIC is physically larger than the stock TMIC. If its CP interface is off my a few mm then the CPs are subjected to higher enforced-displacement loadings which will increase the loads and relative displacements at the interfaces of the turbo. It’s the new TMIC that caused leaks. Like you said you had zero issues for a year and only after installing the Wagner TMIC did the CF CPs start leaking. Was there any actual cracks or delaminations in the CF CP tubes?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 02:08 PM   #8
ra2289
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So may I ask if the CF CP have no issue that you believed, why did you still get swtich to the metal ones?
The flanges connect the bottom of the CF CPs to the turbos. There is no other way to make this connection with the CF pipes.

Metal CPs have the flanges as part of the CP itself so I eliminated that failure point.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 02:34 PM   #9
ra2289
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ra2289

The Wagner TMIC is physically larger than the stock TMIC. If its CP interface is off my a few mm then the CPs are subjected to higher enforced-displacement loadings which will increase the loads and relative displacements at the interfaces of the turbo. It’s the new TMIC that caused leaks. Like you said you had zero issues for a year and only after installing the Wagner TMIC did the CF CPs start leaking. Was there any actual cracks or delaminations in the CF CP tubes?
I agree the top mount is part of the equation, hence the mention. I will say that everything seemed to fit flush and tight on install. It didnt feel as though I was forcing things to fit. Anyway, so it goes with aftermarket parts sometimes.

The pipes themselves seem fine. No obvious signs of anything negative.

Thought I’d mention this experience for OP or anyone else who may go down a similar mod path.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 04:48 PM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I agree the top mount is part of the equation, hence the mention. I will say that everything seemed to fit flush and tight on install. It didnt feel as though I was forcing things to fit. Anyway, so it goes with aftermarket parts sometimes.

The pipes themselves seem fine. No obvious signs of anything negative.

Thought I’d mention this experience for OP or anyone else who may go down a similar mod path.
I agree. You experienced issues with the CF CP silicone couplers and turbo interface. The OP must decide whether he accepts these potential issues if he decides to switch to a non-oem TMIC. I was curious if the CF tubes themselves sustained damage. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
ra2289314.50
      05-26-2024, 05:15 PM   #11
ra2289
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree. You experienced issues with the CF CP silicone couplers and turbo interface. The OP must decide whether he accepts these potential issues if he decides to switch to a non-oem TMIC. I was curious if the CF tubes themselves sustained damage. Thanks!
No problem and well said!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 05:57 PM   #12
jaycdynasty
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

So which means the CF CP should be fine? Im just deciding should I go for the CF ones or the aluminium.
      05-27-2024, 12:18 AM   #13
ra2289
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So which means the CF CP should be fine? Im just deciding should I go for the CF ones or the aluminium.
I think depends on your current and expected upgrade path.

I’d say if you currently have the OEM top mount and plan to stay with it, or something of similar dimensions, then you should be good with the CF CP. When I did I had no issues whatsoever.

If you have a larger top mount like the Wagner, or plan to down the road, then you *may* run into similar issues and want to stick with aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 04:02 AM   #14
jaycdynasty
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
I think depends on your current and expected upgrade path.

I’d say if you currently have the OEM top mount and plan to stay with it, or something of similar dimensions, then you should be good with the CF CP. When I did I had no issues whatsoever.

If you have a larger top mount like the Wagner, or plan to down the road, then you *may* run into similar issues and want to stick with aluminum.
Understood. Thank you very much, appreciate it!
      05-27-2024, 12:25 PM   #15
Ant_tc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre

I have a Wagner tmic and Eventuri charge pipes, no issues with leaks but I am not tuned(2017 M3 ZCP).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 12:29 PM   #16
jaycdynasty
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant_tc View Post
I have a Wagner tmic and Eventuri charge pipes, no issues with leaks but I am not tuned(2017 M3 ZCP).
Very nice upgrade! Just wondering why Eventuri doesnt produce the gloss csrbon version.
      05-27-2024, 12:57 PM   #17
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Very nice upgrade! Just wondering why Eventuri doesnt produce the gloss csrbon version.
Have a local body shop spray them with a gloss clear. I think the non-gloss look is due to the use of CF prepreg. This is the actual color of cured resin when prepreg material is used. The raised seam/line running along the CF tubes is due to the resin flowing into the mold parting line as it is being cured in an autoclave. If you prefer a shiny finish then you could DIY it or have a body shop do it. It shouldn’t cost much to have it done.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 02:02 PM   #18
jaycdynasty
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Have a local body shop spray them with a gloss clear. I think the non-gloss look is due to the use of CF prepreg. This is the actual color of cured resin when prepreg material is used. The raised seam/line running along the CF tubes is due to the resin flowing into the mold parting line as it is being cured in an autoclave. If you prefer a shiny finish then you could DIY it or have a body shop do it. It shouldn’t cost much to have it done.
Thank you for your information. What do you think of the IND gloss version? It’s a ceramic coating but 150usd more
      05-27-2024, 02:18 PM   #19
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your information. What do you think of the IND gloss version? It’s a ceramic coating but 150usd more
I’d call around to body shops and say I have two CF 2”-diameter, ~2-2.5’-long tubes that twist from end to end (or send pics, if possible). What would you charge to apply a gloss clear coat to them? I think it’ll be <= iND price to apply a ceramic coating to the tubes which will wear off over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 03:28 PM   #20
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Don't forget there's also silicone options from ESS, ARM etc
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 11:03 AM   #21
M3nmotion18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.73]
2021 MINI COOPER  [10.00]
2023 GENESIS GV60  [10.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [10.00]
FYI,

I have Eventuri CP paired with Garrett IC, fits perfect, no leaks and my car has BM3 Stage 2.

I also have Mishimoto CP, but fitment isn't that great with Garrett IC.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 09:11 PM   #22
wishbone
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP, '14 F30 328i

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [9.00]
I have eventuri CF CPs and CSF TMIC no issues with fitment.

F30 328i '14 N20 / dinan sport kit / premium pkg / 6MT / hex trim / HK sound / B14 coilovers / oem roof rack / active autowerke exhaust / eventuri CF CAI
Appreciate 0