Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #353
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexone View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skasol View Post
Quote:
I'm not a trained professional, but the power delivery in sport / sport / comfort (engine/suspension/steering) was perfect to me... The power delivery is very very linear and just keeps going it feels... mdm kicks in first three gears, but the car keeps rocketing forward...

To me, it feels like the wheels get the power to the road better, even more so than stock, because that was one of my personal biggest complaints... It's like comp pack but on steroids and maybe an adrenaline shot... Or triple espresso shot from Starbucks...
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with it. Which stage did you get. 2?
Stage 1... my good friend got stage 2 (e85) same day and we just took it up into the canyons where he had me drive... Car gets sideways in 4th, lol...

So I can compare stage 1 vs stage 2 / f80 vs f82 / 6mt vs dct...

F80 / 6mt - zero and I mean zero torque monitoring at all... very linear power delivery, almost like you get another boost of power as the rpm's get higher... MDM kicks in all the way to 4th gear but the power delivery is phenomenal where it is less squirrelly than stock, which was my biggest surprise... I prefer engine in sport as sport+ definitely seems to have a bit more difficulty getting the power to the ground... Wish the burbles / overrun was a little louder, and I am not positive but cold start may be a little less obnoxious - which should please my neighbors...

F82 / DCT - stage 2 is insanity... I tried all the modes and the car is very very twitchy when full on Sport+ settings and MDM you can whip the tail out in 4th just mashing the throttle... The burbles are loud from the outside but inside doesn't seem all that loud even with the windows rolled down... Power is linear as well but sometimes can be a little jerky if you don't feather the gas a bit in the beginning, albeit probably due to it being the lazy tranny... I love that I can still go full wot in my 6mt without second guessing the car - stage 2 you do have to pay attention more as she will try and murder you...

Also difficult to get an estimate on speed - mine now tops out at about 106mph in the top of third gear - the F82 does tops out in third at 96mph but it's gotta be gearing with it being 7 gears... Friend felt more force being pushed into his seat in the f80 vs the f82 so again, most likely gearing...

Neither of us have any regrets... Except the burbles and overrun not being that loud for me... So, happy to report bootmod3 is worth the price of admission so thank you to PTF and also AutoTalent for always taking care of me / my cars and my friends...

PS - did plenty of seat time in same car while he had JB4... It was glitchy and worked only most of the time... Other times it would bog the car down or there would be some serious hesitation... It's not even in the same realm as an ecu tune, and definitely not even remotely close to the bm3... It's like comparing a 320 to a M3 to put it in perspective...
Nice review.

For the volume of the burbles, that' is based off the GTS tune, but they do have a very aggressive version if that is what you are looking for. It is pretty loud and the pops can be pretty insane at times.

I have heard that it can get you unwanted attention by the police if you're not careful (sometimes even if you are.)
I heard the same thing so just opted for non aggressive... I think DP's may solve the top quiet issue - or just bite the bullet and get the aggressive...
Btw, in sports it is also significantly lower burbles than S+ so you may need to wait for custom tune or self tuning to get what you want
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #354
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not a trained professional, but the power delivery in sport / sport / comfort (engine/suspension/steering) was perfect to me... The power delivery is very very linear and just keeps going it feels... mdm kicks in first three gears, but the car keeps rocketing forward...

To me, it feels like the wheels get the power to the road better, even more so than stock, because that was one of my personal biggest complaints... It's like comp pack but on steroids and maybe an adrenaline shot... Or triple espresso shot from Starbucks...
Stage 1... my good friend got stage 2 (e85) same day and we just took it up into the canyons where he had me drive... Car gets sideways in 4th, lol...

F80 / 6mt - zero and I mean zero torque monitoring at all... very linear power delivery, almost like you get another boost of power as the rpm's get higher... MDM kicks in all the way to 4th gear but the power delivery is phenomenal where it is less squirrelly than stock, which was my biggest surprise... I prefer engine in sport as sport+ definitely seems to have a bit more difficulty getting the power to the ground... Wish the burbles / overrun was a little louder, and I am not positive but cold start may be a little less obnoxious - which should please my neighbors...

F82 / DCT - stage 2 is insanity... I tried all the modes and the car is very very twitchy when full on Sport+ settings and MDM you can whip the tail out in 4th just mashing the throttle... The burbles are loud from the outside but inside doesn't seem all that loud even with the windows rolled down... Power is linear as well but sometimes can be a little jerky if you don't feather the gas a bit in the beginning, albeit probably due to it being the lazy tranny... I love that I can still go full wot in my 6mt without second guessing the car - stage 2 you do have to pay attention more as she will try and murder you...

Also difficult to get an estimate on speed - mine now tops out at about 106mph in the top of third gear - the F82 does tops out in third at 96mph but it's gotta be gearing with it being 7 gears... Friend felt more force being pushed into his seat in the f80 vs the f82 so again, most likely gearing...

Neither of us have any regrets... Except the burbles and overrun not being that loud for me... So, happy to report bootmod3 is worth the price of admission so thank you to PTF and also AutoTalent for always taking care of me / my cars and my friends...

PS - did plenty of seat time in same car while he had JB4... It was glitchy and worked only most of the time... Other times it would bog the car down or there would be some serious hesitation... It's not even in the same realm as an ecu tune, and definitely not even remotely close to the bm3... It's like comparing a 320 to a M3 to put it in perspective...
Nice review.

For the volume of the burbles, that' is based off the GTS tune, but they do have a very aggressive version if that is what you are looking for. It is pretty loud and the pops can be pretty insane at times.

I have heard that it can get you unwanted attention by the police if you're not careful (sometimes even if you are.)
I heard the same thing so just opted for non aggressive... I think DP's may solve the top quiet issue - or just bite the bullet and get the aggressive...
Btw, in sports it is also significantly lower burbles than S+ so you may need to wait for custom tune or self tuning to get what you want
Appreciate that info... I take it you are running the a tune of some kind, bm3 as well? What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #355
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///F80M3 View Post
Quote:
I think most videos you see are cars with full catback. That's why its louder
No some of the videos are with stock exhausts - I made sure to check before...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:49 PM   #356
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nice review.

Appreciate that info... I take it you are running the a tune of some kind, bm3 as well? What are your thoughts?
Night and day over JB4, like a new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #357
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///F80M3 View Post
Quote:
I think most videos you see are cars with full catback. That's why its louder
No some of the videos are with stock exhausts - I made sure to check before...
Here is stock exhaust VRSF dps, aa midpipes, BMS Intake, stock exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:57 AM   #358
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Hi Guys,

I'm running the BM3 in my car! This may have already been raised, however i would just like to confirm.

I'm about to go back for my 30,000km service, Should i load the standard file back into my ECU or leave the flashed BM3 map in it?

Also, If they flash new software into my car, do i loose the flash tune and have to start again?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 04:40 AM   #359
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm running the BM3 in my car! This may have already been raised, however i would just like to confirm.

I'm about to go back for my 30,000km service, Should i load the standard file back into my ECU or leave the flashed BM3 map in it?

Also, If they flash new software into my car, do i loose the flash tune and have to start again?
I don't see a reason not to flash back to stock as it takes just a few minutes. (That is my personal stance, I prefer to draw less attention from the dealer)

Slightly off topic: I assume the dealer does not remove the ECU to update. In this case how come we need to remove to unlock but the dealer just flashes via obd?

Btw: when I asked the dealer to update all software on my car prior to doing bm3, I had my ASD module unplugged. This prevented him from doing the update at first. They actually had to troubleshoot and figure out it was the unplugged ASD that was blocking the update. I guess this can be one way of safeguarding the car from dealer updates (but maybe only on Harman Kardon cars)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 04:46 AM   #360
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
I don't see a reason not to flash back to stock as it takes just a few minutes. (That is my personal stance, I prefer to draw less attention from the dealer)

Slightly off topic: I assume the dealer does not remove the ECU to update. In this case how come we need to remove to unlock but the dealer just flashes via obd?

Btw: when I asked the dealer to update all software on my car prior to doing bm3, I had my ASD module unplugged. This prevented him from doing the update at first. They actually had to troubleshoot and figure out it was the unplugged ASD that was blocking the update. I guess this can be one way of safeguarding the car from dealer updates (but maybe only on Harman Kardon cars)
I thought running the stock map would show a tamper code?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #361
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
You need a modified file that has tamper code off.
PTF sent me one with tamper off for both stock and jb4 bef.
      03-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #362
Sleeper
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M, 2024 M2, 2006 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Stock "performance" map vs restoring your OEM flash. A full restore lights up the tamper code.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #363
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Quote:

If they are really looking for mod traces they will find anyway.
My line of thinking is at least not to have burbles and a jerky throttle on a non ZCP car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #364
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
You need a modified file that has tamper code off.
PTF sent me one with tamper off for both stock and jb4 bef.
+1
PTF has saved a lot of folks the past 6 months with the Tamper Code delete

Not all cars trigger this; it also depends on the tool they're using to read/bench flash you the first time.

IG: @bmwF9XG80
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #365
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

So is the E30 map readily available now? Are all OTS maps still free?

I ask because I'm having my ECU pulled here in about an hour and my car has over 3/4 of a tank of E35 in it... Even if I wanted to try I couldn't run it out in time. Am I going to be screwed?

EDIT: I see its 1 OTS map.

Anyone have suggestions on how to handle this when I was only planning on buying the 93 map?

Last edited by dmk08; 03-06-2017 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #366
uym3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i soon

Quote:
So is the E30 map readily available now? Are all OTS maps still free?

I ask because I'm having my ECU pulled here in about an hour and my car has over 3/4 of a tank of E35 in it... Even if I wanted to try I couldn't run it out in time. Am I going to be screwed?

EDIT: I see its 1 OTS map.

Anyone have suggestions on how to handle this when I was only planning on buying the 93 map?

At the time when i received my E30 stage 2 map, it wasn't an OTS map anymore. Its now a custom map (additional 300). Not sure if anything changed since but E30 map is available.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #367
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

E30 OTS is available. My friend just got it the other day. I'm sure you can drive on their 93 OTS map to run through that tank of E35. Maybe you could even run with it at WOT without issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #368
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uym3 View Post
At the time when i received my E30 stage 2 map, it wasn't an OTS map anymore. Its now a custom map (additional 300). Not sure if anything changed since but E30 map is available.
On their website you can select stage 2 and e30 now actually. S55 STG 2 OTS E30 is $100.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #369
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Well fellas (and ladies), I'm officially in the BM3 crew. My DME is in the mail as we speak. Heh. 😎
Appreciate 2
///F80M3655.00
Lojs240.50
      03-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #370
1FastS4
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3 & 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Well fellas (and ladies), I'm officially in the BM3 crew. My DME is in the mail as we speak. Heh. 😎
You definitely seem like their target demo.Please tell us you have already dynoed your car stock and with the JB4.

I'm sure a lot of people are curious to see how JB4 on a ZCP compares to BM3's OTS tune, and more interestingly, how it will compare once you start using the custom tuning feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #371
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastS4 View Post
You definitely seem like their target demo.Please tell us you have already dynoed your car stock and with the JB4.

I'm sure a lot of people are curious to see how JB4 on a ZCP compares to BM3's OTS tune, and more interestingly, how it will compare once you start using the custom tuning feature.
I haven't yet dynod using my JB4 on the stock ZCP tune, but I'd guess I'm in the 500-520whp range or so on E42 @ 20-22#. I will probably keep the JB4 installed for a little while and dial everything to zero and just use it as a boost controller, which means I can still load my stock ZCP map and set the JB4 like I have it now and basically have the exact same setup I'm currently running for dyno purposes. Then, move the JB4 to pass through mode and load any of the BM3 maps I want.

With that said, I'm going to be doing some E85 testing soon, so I'm excited about how far I'll be able to take ethanol content on the stock fuel system as well as being able to tune for said ethanol. If I can manage E42 using the JB4, I'm hoping I can make it to E60 on flash alone. E60 would be awesome and would give me most of the detonation threshold benefits of a full tank of E85, especially when mixed with a quality 93 octane. We shall see soon enough.

I won't focus too much on 93 octane alone, as I'm not planning on running 93 pump in this car as I have access to very high-quality E85 (tests closer to E90) and will focus mainly on tuning for E85 mixes.

Either way, I'm excited to get up and running and finally have complete control over my DME. For an ex-tuner, I've resisted long enough.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #372
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Quote:
You'll love it, completely changes the personality of the car in Sport and sport+. When I switched back to the stock tune after having run the BM3 OTS for a while I literally though my car was broken, it felt so slow. haha. You guys with access to e85 make me jealous.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #373
1FastS4
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3 & 2016 M4

Quote:
Either way, I'm excited to get up and running and finally have complete control over my DME. For an ex-tuner, I've resisted long enough.
Are they going to actually give you complete control of the ECU like you're one of their tuning partners or are they going to give you the same limited number of tables that they promised to end level users?

I'm really just curious to see if the control of the ECU they give to customers is enough to make power beyond the off the shelf maps on pump fuel. I know why people want to run ethanol, but the problem is that the quality level of E85 at the pump changes way to often, and not many people know how to mix consistently or keep track properly after each fill up. The only right way to run ethanol in my opinion is with alcohol monitoring. I'll gladly pay more for a good 100 or 104 Octane and just run a +Plus file when I go tot the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #374
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastS4 View Post
Are they going to actually give you complete control of the ECU like you're one of their tuning partners or are they going to give you the same limited number of tables that they promised to end level users?

I'm really just curious to see if the control of the ECU they give to customers is enough to make power beyond the off the shelf maps on pump fuel. I know why people want to run ethanol, but the problem is that the quality level of E85 at the pump changes way to often, and not many people know how to mix consistently or keep track properly after each fill up. The only right way to run ethanol in my opinion is with alcohol monitoring. I'll gladly pay more for a good 100 or 104 Octane and just run a +Plus file when I go tot the track.
I can't speak for PTF, but I can assure you the basic tables the normal end-user will have access to will allow the end-user/tuner to tailor their tune for any number of setups and fuels. Boost Pressure Targets, Ignition Timing, AFR Targets, Fuel Scalars, Cam Angles, Fuel Pressure Targets and Overrun Tables would be some of the main tables the end user will need quick/easy access to while tuning. Of those, only Boost Pressure Targets, AFR targets, Ignition Timing and cam angles will have an effect on power. The rest are secondary controls/tables needed to keep everything running properly and/or drivability related. All of these tables have other associated tables that go with them, so it isn't a simple thing to condense, I'm sure.

There are a lot of tables defined, so I'll let PTF answer that question in detail.

As for the comparison of ethanol mixes (or any alcohol fuel) to 100 octane or even 104? I wouldn't be so quick to consider them equal. They are different and I'd take a full tank of quality E85 over either of those fuels any day. Hell, even E40 has certain advantages over some lower octane race fuels (I.e. 100 octane pump), especially when mixed with a quality 93 octane. A proper E42 mix in my car w/ 93 octane is 98 total octane (R+M/2). But alcohol fuels hit above their octane rating and have good charge cooling effects. This raises the detonation threshold even more, so octane alone doesn't tell the compete story.

Last edited by CaryTheLabelGuy; 03-06-2017 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 2