ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #419
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

They really have done quite a bit of modifications to the N55 to create the S55 if this is correct:

Quote:
•3.0L inline 6 cylinder engine (S55) with two mono-scroll turbochargers
◦3,027 cc (compare to 2,979 cc of N55)
89.6mm over-square bore / 80mm stroke (compare to 89.6mm (stroke) / 84mm (bore) of N55)
That is a major difference that really separates this engine from a 335i and something that NO tune can emulate!

The short stroke should give the engine a very different and rev willing characteristic

Super excited about this fact. To me that really makes this a true M engine

Last edited by Boss330; 09-25-2013 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #420
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

How do these Mistubishi turbos compare/contrast to the Mistubishi turbo's found in the N54?

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #421
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
I hate the placement of the intercooler. Wonder why they didn't go with a FMIC design?
Lag. FMIC means more piping, which means more lag. Also an FMIC would disturb the 50/50 weight balance to some extent. BMW uses an air to water intercooler on the F10 M5 for the same purpose, and it seems to be working! Whether it can cope with extra heat from power gains is another story.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I realized the S55 is 20 pounds LESS than the S65 V8, which was already lighter than the S54!
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #422
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek
I hate the placement of the intercooler. Wonder why they didn't go with a FMIC design?
It might be because there is too much piping to route from the turbos to the front bumper, which increases the distance the cool air has to travel and therefore causes lag.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #423
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
•430 HP (approximately) from around 5000-7300 RPM

If this is true, that's over 450 ft-lbf torque at 5000 RPM.
Holy Crap, I'm all in for it!!
Sounds like the DCT is same as used in e9x

If so IIRC max torque for the DCT was 440lb.ft. Don't think BMW would go over the recommended torque, could be costly for them
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #424
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekn8286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek
It might be because there is too much piping to route from the turbos to the front bumper, which increases the distance the cool air has to travel and therefore causes lag.
Sorry about that Humtek, I just realized that someone already responded to your question in the previous post.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #425
Titan9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e39 and e60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
The F10 M5 and F13 M6 do not have EPS. They are hydraulic. The steered away (pun intended ) from EPS on the base F10 for the M variant. The F30 and standard F10 steering though is absolutely terrible. Sadly, steering is something BMW was always known for.

The days of feeling one with a car and having that cerebral type of feeling while driving are diminishing. It's just the direction all cars are going and its also taking place in the exotic car world as well. Brief example... McLaren MP4-12C vs. McLaren F1. Porsche Carrera GT vs. Porsche 918.
your absolutely correct. got a little excited...Standard F10

thx
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #426
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Sounds like the DCT is same as used in e9x

If so IIRC max torque for the DCT was 440lb.ft. Don't think BMW would go over the recommended torque, could be costly for them
I would think it's the new Getrag 7DCI700 that is used in the M3/M4. That has a 700Nm torque limit, well above the 500Nm of the S55

http://www.getrag.com/media/products.../7DCI700~2.pdf

Overview of the current line of DCT transmissions from Getrag:

http://www.getrag.com/de/products/po...owershift.html

Last edited by Boss330; 09-25-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #427
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Great job to BMW on the specifications of this car. I will admit my skepticism about this car for quite a while now, but they have implemented a lot of things I wish they would have done a long time ago.

1) Rear Axle. The solid mounted rear sub-frame should have been done nearly 13 year ago starting with the E46 M3 when power levels started to rise substantially and cars began to break the 3000 lb weight barrier. I can't believe it has taken them this long to do so.

2) Power Level. I personally am a big fan that the car doesn't boast tons of HP, the E92 M3 can sometimes be a bit much to handle and has the right amount of power to feel balanced and controlled while having precisely the right amount of power and torque to get you around the track. Long live the S65B40, as we will never see anything like that ever again. Drive some of these high HP high TQ cars (F13 M6, F10 M5, C63, etc) and any driver will come to appreciate the tame and controllable power delivery.

3) Improvement. It is with no doubt that M cars always get better with each new iteration. Agree with BMW's direction and newer ///M philosophy or not, the cars simply get better. Better is not measured in seat of the pants feel, or how it makes us feel emotionally. Again, we are talking about BMW M, everything is based on data, fact, mathematics and engineering and finalized with empirical data (technical observation, track testing). On paper, the cars will get better, always. The same way the E92 is better than the E46, the E46 better than the E36 and so on. Yes, the F10/F13 M5 & M6 are better than their predecessors. Unfortunately the E60/E63 cars were plagued with an abysmal SMG. I always wished the DCT technology could have existed at that time to be paired with that gem of an engine we all know as the S85.

4) Engine. BMW is doing the best they can to provide all of us the the best car they can. We all must understand, times are changing, government regulations on emissions are getting tough, and the engineers don't have free reign to make engines like the S65 any more. If they could, they would. Time to embrace the changes. Before we know it, the M3/M4 could become a 3 cylinder hybrid car, although I hope not . FOr those of us fortunate enough to have had the pleasure of owning S65, S54's, S85's and so fourth, enjoy it. If fortunate enough, don't sell your cars and put them away. Nothing wrong with having an E9x M3 and an F8x M. The competition within the brand needs to stop. A lot of comparing the E9x and F8x going on here. Let's not forget, this car is an evolution of the E9x, after all. Let's also not forget how long the E9x reigned king and remained on top despite aging.

I do have my concerns with this S55 powerplant and heat soak issues, especially as its employing and air-water intercooler. All N54 and N55 cars (yes including the N54 powered 1M) has major heat issues and power inconsistency during track sessions. Turbo engines generally run hot in comparison to NA variants.

5) Lag free operation. I still am on the fence in regards to this. BMW has made this claim time and time again and has not delivered repeatedly. The initial N54 cars was BMW's best bet at power response. As soon as cars began getting hit with PROGMAN 29.2 update and the new MSD81 DME, throttle lag and power delivery was greatly affected in a negative way. The 2007 and early 2008 cars were the best iteration of minimal lag. The new turbo M cars are plagued with lag in regards to full power delivery. Throttle response is not the problem and the electronic throttles are spectacular in BMW's. The problem is not in how soon the car response to our right foot, what people will miss is holding the car at 5000 RPM, mashing their foot to the floor and full power is on tap without a hitch. These days are over.

6) It's competition. BMW will once again be the winner. This is what BMW does with the M3M4, it wins. The M3 (now M4) is BMW's M baby, not the M5 or M6. This car will be no different. BMW will beat MB AMG, Audi RS, Lexus. They are after Porsche and that gap is getting closer and closer as the years go by. While many didn't like the M3 GTS and called it a poor attempt at recreating the CSL, it was faster than the CSL around the Nordschleife, it was and still is a spectacular car. The GTS gave Porsche a run for their money with their greatest car, the GT3RS with the 3.8. Porsche followed up with an encore presentation of the GT3 with the 4.0 to open up the gap with any possible competition.

BMW knows they can beat Audi and MB AMG with the M3/M4, they are after the ultimate road car king, and that is Porsche.

7) Tuning/Modification. This talk is very speculative. Fact of the matter is, BMW has made it extremely difficult to modify and tune the newer turbo platforms. The days of tuning the factory turbo car with some bolt on modifications and a tune to yield 150 RWHP gain like the N54 days are over. This is already evident on the N55, N20, S63 and S63Tu. If we are talking about modifications, there is no doubt a blown S65 will annihilate this I6 turbo car while modded. Let's not bring the 2JZ-GTE and R35 GT-R and how they are 6 cylinders talk into this. Modding the GT-R to make monster power is not cheap even though its much easier to tune the car in comparison to BMW's newer turbo cars. Even fully modded single turbo N54 can't hold much of a candle to blown S65's.

8) Weight Reduction. This is still very speculative as BMW has not claimed how the car is being measured with weight. We have consistently seen E92 M3's weighing in the 35xx range and even the 34xx range. 1xx pounds of weight loss is going to be very hard pressed to notice, even for the better drivers out there. On the street, as far as handling dynamics goes, we aren't going to notice it much, if at all. Naturally some of the weight loss comes from a lighter smaller engine, the CF propeller shaft, the lighter boot lid. Unfortunately, for those of us who have owned E9x and F30 cars, know that some of the weight loss is also contributed to the borderline cheap feeling of the F3x interior. It simply has a less premium feel to it and utilizes more plastics.

9) Electric Power Steering. Let's see what happens. The F30's steering is a joke. I hate driving my F30 because of this reason alone. They need to make some serious changes here. If Porsche could do it, then BMW should be able to as well.

10) Aesthetics. As always, this is subjective. All BMW M3's have special place in time and have their own beauty and charm and age gracefully. The E92 M3 is undeniably STILL one of the most beautiful cars on the road shy of exotics. It has intense road presence. A beautiful E46 M3, E36 and M3 are no different and they will still turn heads, especially amongst us any car enthusiast. You don't have to be a BMW lover to admit this.

At the end of the day, I am personally more excited about this car compared to before, and very excited to get my hands on it and further improve it. I also can't wait to see what the M2 will be. If money were no object, I would love to own all variants of the M3 cars. They all have a special place in my heart.

-Malek
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #428
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Great job to BMW on the specifications of this car. I will admit my skepticism about this car for quite a while now, but they have implemented a lot of things I wish they would have done a long time ago.

1) Rear Axle. The solid mounted rear sub-frame should have been done nearly 13 year ago starting with the E46 M3 when power levels started to rise substantially and cars began to break the 3000 lb weight barrier. I can't believe it has taken them this long to do so.

2) Power Level. I personally am a big fan that the car doesn't boast tons of HP, the E92 M3 can sometimes be a bit much to handle and has the right amount of power to feel balanced and controlled while having precisely the right amount of power and torque to get you around the track. Long live the S65B40, as we will never see anything like that ever again. Drive some of these high HP high TQ cars (F13 M6, F10 M5, C63, etc) and any driver will come to appreciate the tame and controllable power delivery.

3) Improvement. It is with no doubt that M cars always get better with each new iteration. Agree with BMW's direction and newer ///M philosophy or not, the cars simply get better. Better is not measured in seat of the pants feel, or how it makes us feel emotionally. Again, we are talking about BMW M, everything is based on data, fact, mathematics and engineering and finalized with empirical data (technical observation, track testing). On paper, the cars will get better, always. The same way the E92 is better than the E46, the E46 better than the E36 and so on. Yes, the F10/F13 M5 & M6 are better than their predecessors. Unfortunately the E60/E63 cars were plagued with an abysmal SMG. I always wished the DCT technology could have existed at that time to be paired with that gem of an engine we all know as the S85.

4) Engine. BMW is doing the best they can to provide all of us the the best car they can. We all must understand, times are changing, government regulations on emissions are getting tough, and the engineers don't have free reign to make engines like the S65 any more. If they could, they would. Time to embrace the changes. Before we know it, the M3/M4 could become a 3 cylinder hybrid car, although I hope not . FOr those of us fortunate enough to have had the pleasure of owning S65, S54's, S85's and so fourth, enjoy it. If fortunate enough, don't sell your cars and put them away. Nothing wrong with having an E9x M3 and an F8x M. The competition within the brand needs to stop. A lot of comparing the E9x and F8x going on here. Let's not forget, this car is an evolution of the E9x, after all. Let's also not forget how long the E9x reigned king and remained on top despite aging.

I do have my concerns with this S55 powerplant and heat soak issues, especially as its employing and air-water intercooler. All N54 and N55 cars (yes including the N54 powered 1M) has major heat issues and power inconsistency during track sessions. Turbo engines generally run hot in comparison to NA variants.

5) Lag free operation. I still am on the fence in regards to this. BMW has made this claim time and time again and has not delivered repeatedly. The initial N54 cars was BMW's best bet at power response. As soon as cars began getting hit with PROGMAN 29.2 update and the new MSD81 DME, throttle lag and power delivery was greatly affected in a negative way. The 2007 and early 2008 cars were the best iteration of minimal lag. The new turbo M cars are plagued with lag in regards to full power delivery. Throttle response is not the problem and the electronic throttles are spectacular in BMW's. The problem is not in how soon the car response to our right foot, what people will miss is holding the car at 5000 RPM, mashing their foot to the floor and full power is on tap without a hitch. These days are over.

6) It's competition. BMW will once again be the winner. This is what BMW does with the M3M4, it wins. The M3 (now M4) is BMW's M baby, not the M5 or M6. This car will be no different. BMW will beat MB AMG, Audi RS, Lexus. They are after Porsche and that gap is getting closer and closer as the years go by. While many didn't like the M3 GTS and called it a poor attempt at recreating the CSL, it was faster than the CSL around the Nordschleife, it was and still is a spectacular car. The GTS gave Porsche a run for their money with their greatest car, the GT3RS with the 3.8. Porsche followed up with an encore presentation of the GT3 with the 4.0 to open up the gap with any possible competition.

BMW knows they can beat Audi and MB AMG with the M3/M4, they are after the ultimate road car king, and that is Porsche.

7) Tuning/Modification. This talk is very speculative. Fact of the matter is, BMW has made it extremely difficult to modify and tune the newer turbo platforms. The days of tuning the factory turbo car with some bolt on modifications and a tune to yield 150 RWHP gain like the N54 days are over. This is already evident on the N55, N20, S63 and S63Tu. If we are talking about modifications, there is no doubt a blown S65 will annihilate this I6 turbo car while modded. Let's not bring the 2JZ-GTE and R35 GT-R and how they are 6 cylinders talk into this. Modding the GT-R to make monster power is not cheap even though its much easier to tune the car in comparison to BMW's newer turbo cars. Even fully modded single turbo N54 can't hold much of a candle to blown S65's.

8) Weight Reduction. This is still very speculative as BMW has not claimed how the car is being measured with weight. We have consistently seen E92 M3's weighing in the 35xx range and even the 34xx range. 1xx pounds of weight loss is going to be very hard pressed to notice, even for the better drivers out there. On the street, as far as handling dynamics goes, we aren't going to notice it much, if at all. Naturally some of the weight loss comes from a lighter smaller engine, the CF propeller shaft, the lighter boot lid. Unfortunately, for those of us who have owned E9x and F30 cars, know that some of the weight loss is also contributed to the borderline cheap feeling of the F3x interior. It simply has a less premium feel to it and utilizes more plastics.

9) Electric Power Steering. Let's see what happens. The F30's steering is a joke. I hate driving my F30 because of this reason alone. They need to make some serious changes here. If Porsche could do it, then BMW should be able to as well.

10) Aesthetics. As always, this is subjective. All BMW M3's have special place in time and have their own beauty and charm and age gracefully. The E92 M3 is undeniably STILL one of the most beautiful cars on the road shy of exotics. It has intense road presence. A beautiful E46 M3, E36 and M3 are no different and they will still turn heads, especially amongst us any car enthusiast. You don't have to be a BMW lover to admit this.

At the end of the day, I am personally more excited about this car compared to before, and very excited to get my hands on it and further improve it. I also can't wait to see what the M2 will be. If money were no object, I would love to own all variants of the M3 cars. They all have a special place in my heart.

-Malek
I agree with mostly all of this, but BMW is not Porsche, nor will they ever be. But you are right, Porsche is the King, for street cars and track cars and why BMW M looks up to them. While The M3/M4 might be able to compete in a straight line with the base 991, dont think its going to be quite the experience as it never has been and never will be let alone coming close to anything other than the bottom of the barrel 911. The 991 is a game changer and deservedly so, its the best all around car in the world.

The M3 GTS was and is a joke compared to the GT3. Even though the GTS was newer, it barely competed with a 5 year old 997.1 GT3 let alone the 997.2 GT3/RS and it didnt hold a candle to the RS 4.0 by any stretch of delusion. The RS 4.0 was simply a swansong to the single most winning motor in motorsports history and a way to shove it to the auto industry even more than the 997.2 GT3 and GT3 RS did. It was basically saying that even though nothing could touch the 997.2 GT3/RS, they could push the envelope even further and embarass them even more. And dont worry the 991 GT3 will do the same but on an even larger scale. BMW simply cant play in this company with Porsche or Ferrari.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 09-25-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #429
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Jason, though correct I think the weight part of the specs is causing some confusion.
Would you mind changing the F82 weight to the same standard as the cars listed for comparison?

Here is the list using the same standard ( US curb weight )

F82 3528 lbs
E46 3415 lbs
E92 3704 lbs
C63 3922 lbs
RS5 4009 lbs

With applicable update to the F82's and E92's power to weight ratio if needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #430
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I would think it's the new Getrag 7DCT700 that is used in the M3/M4. That has a 700Nm torque limit, well above the 500Nm of the S55

http://www.getrag.com/media/products.../7DCI700~2.pdf

Overview of the current line of DCT transmissions from Getrag:

http://www.getrag.com/de/products/po...owershift.html
That would be nice, I hope the trans can hold at least 515tq. Are we talking WHEEL TQ or CRANK?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #431
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00kie View Post
I know they said this is an all new motor but it still shares the N55 block?
Nope.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #432
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race 1 View Post
That would be nice, I hope the trans can hold at least 515tq. Are we talking WHEEL TQ or CRANK?
Crank torque
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #433
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
-Malek

I'll add this fine post from 1M forum fellow Ozinaldo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I thought I could note a few primary data of the new M3/M4's (not yet complete) specs here just to compare them with the 1M since it looks to me like it is the successor of the 1M as much as it is for the E9X M3 and there are some pretty numerical coincidences as well as differences.
So no order followed and well thought format is absent here, I am just throwing them out. As usual everyone is welcome to just comment, add or subtract:
1) Weight: It looks like the clearest word about the weight of the F8X is it will be around 80 kg. lighter than its equally equipped E9X predecessor, which means in EU/German DIN terminology it will weigh a flat 1500 kg. (without driver or luggage). 1M was 1495 kg. according to BMW, pretty similar and thinking about the difference in size this is a major improvement imo. Not as big as the weight loss like it was in the E46 M3 CSL but they managed to keep the weight a full size adult male less in a visibly bigger car, so kudos there. What it means to a 1M driver though? Not much, we are already there, albeit in a much smaller package.
2) Engine: It is an inline six and bi-turbo a la N54 but it has Valvetronic too and loosely based on N55 (hence the name S55) so it indeed is in between these two, probably better than both in all aspects and essentially a new engine. Same displacement (3.0 liters) and much higher rev limit than a 1M, probably 7500 or a bit more which is very good for a FI engine.
3) Power/tq: 430 hp (435ps maybe?) and an identical 369 lb.ft torque (far more they say but it is far more than that in 1M too) vs a 1M. Way too soon to comment; it may be underrated as the N54 or maybe not so much this time around. Why so? Because the max boost is quoted as 18.9 psi already. I won't be surprised if it will be around 450ps engine and at least 400 tq since that's what 1Ms had as tq. Powerwise it indeed is similar to a tuned 1M, out of the box with factory warranty. Nothing bad at all then
4) Performance: Promising power to weight figure should give closer to F10 M5 like straight line acceleration and very clearly faster than a stock 1M or a E90 M3.
5) Transmission: Auto rev matching blips added to a 6 speed manual unit as standard and 7 speed DCT is optional. Enough to please manual fans but nothing special there vs 1M, I would take the transmission without any "auto" feature anyway. How good and strong is the clutch would be my real question here.
6) Steering: Electric. Even if it is as good as Porsche's, which I doubt but still possible, I am not happy with this. I did not like the comfort oriented, clinically perfect Boxster S steering when I test drove it.
7) Brakes: They will be better in CCB option, that's guaranteed. Stock compound/steel brakes may or not be better than already very good performing brakes in the 1M (not enough detailed info yet).
8) Wheels/tires: Lightweight forged wheels and Michelin PSS standard (255/275 maybe, they say staggered) so stock to stock there is progress there.
9) Cooling: Heavy artillery and high tech stuff mentioned in the released documents. I bet M division and BMW won't let new M3 suffer from any depressive heat issues, they won't risk anything there. The wording is "track ready".
10) Aero: Anything is better than a 1M but this new M3 seems to be taking it very seriously and I am sure we will see some impressive down force figures. This is going to be a very stable car in high speeds, helped with its size and wheel base too. 1M's air curtain technology finally complimented with "air breather" behind front fenders...they say.
11) Exhaust: I noticed secondary and huge size cats. There seem to be electronically controlled flaps and a video showing DTM racers driving the prototype car on the Ring demonstrated a good sounding engine/exhaust from inside the car. No idea if they used the fake amplifier technology again or not, hopefully not.
12) Suspension: For people who are not crazy for adapting this and that whenever the road or their mood changes, a passive suspension is standard and EDC optional a la E9X.
At first sight, at least for me, these are the really important stuff among the released specs, and my comments on how they compare vs a 1M.
To put it in a nut shell: It is M-ified new 3/4 series body, a new and high tech 3.0 liter in-line six bi-turbo that delivers a tuned N54/tuned 1M level power and tq with a new 6 speed manual standard and electric steering obligatory. A big coupe/or sedan which weighs almost as low (!) as a 1M (which is not low in my book but it is OK).
A lot of things to like I see, a few possible dislikes as well (size and steering most obvious) but honestly speaking I am not super excited the way I was when the E46 M3 or even E92 M3 was launched back in their time. Not even close when I first heard that they would produce a 1M. It must be my cronic dislike concerning cars getting bigger and bigger and also more and more electronics involved which I see as complicating the purity of driving experience.
So, for me, I have no doubts that it will be a high performer but real driving experience must be tested out there to get really impressed; after all most important for a M car is the "feel", for me it is, and competition is fierce out there. Hopefully, this car like the 1M will also be "more than the sum of its parts" and for its price, its heritage, its awaiting competition, its development costs (both as money and time spend), it better be so.
Imagine for a moment an ///M car featuring a 6-cylinder, 3.0 litre displacement, at least 500 Nm, at least 369 lb-ft of torque, two turbos, flirting with 1500 kg weight, standard manual transmission, 50:50 weight distribution, air curtains and standard 19" wheels.

"Sounds like some of the specs of the new M3/M4", you might say. True, but those are also some of the specs of the 1M (and not the least).

Hence, it's quite peculiar that - for the time being - BMW seems pretty low key about the 1M when comparing the new M3/M4 with other BMW cars. IMHO, regarding blood lines, the new M3/M4 seems to have closer family ties to the 1M than to the E46 M3 and E9X M3.
      09-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #434
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00kie View Post
I know they said this is an all new motor but it still shares the N55 block?
It's based on the N55, but it has a larger bore and shorter stroke (significantly so as well).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #435
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive MPPSK

At some point, in the official video, Bruno says that he believes the tyre sidewall is a little soft and the BMW guy replies that the tyre development is not over: what is there to do more for the tires, besides changing them for other brands or model? Still, I don't see what they can use instead of Pilot Super Sport, maybe Sport Cup+?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #436
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo871 View Post
At some point, in the official video, Bruno says that he believes the tyre sidewall is a little soft and the BMW guy replies that the tyre development is not over: what is there to do more for the tires, besides changing them for other brands or model? Still, I don't see what they can use instead of Pilot Super Sport, maybe Sport Cup+?
The M3/M4 teaser video features indeed the following comment of test driver Bruno Spengler and the BMW reply:
  • test driver Bruno Spengler: "For me, the sides of the tires are too soft/weak ["zu weich"]. A different constellation of the tire sides would be a very good improvement."
  • Reply by a BMW person: "The tire development is not ended ["abgeschlossen"] yet."
IMHO expect an upgraded Michelin Pilot Super Sports tire, especially for the new M3/M4.

Check 01:52-02:02:

EDIT: two BMW promo videos seem to exist: one of 02:37 showing the Spengler comment and another of 02:02 not showing the comment.

Last edited by Artemis; 09-25-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #437
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I'll add this fine post from 1M forum fellow Ozinaldo:

Imagine for a moment an ///M car featuring a 6-cylinder, 3.0 litre displacement, at least 500 Nm, at least 369 lb-ft of torque, two turbos, flirting with 1500 kg weight, standard manual transmission, 50:50 weight distribution, air curtains and standard 19" wheels.

"Sounds like some of the specs of the new M3/M4", you might say. True, but those are also some of the specs of the 1M (and not the least).

Hence, it's quite peculiar that - for the time being - BMW seems pretty low key about the 1M when comparing the new M3/M4 with other BMW cars. IMHO, regarding blood lines, the new M3/M4 seems to have closer family ties to the 1M than to the E46 M3 and E9X M3.
I am so happy with the new M3/M4. Personally, any time you compare any BMW to the 1M I think that is a good thing. I love the 1M, and if the new M3/M4 can build off of the things learned from it, then that's great.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #438
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
The PSS is a fantastic tire but it is a bit soft in the tirewall on the track. On the road it's a non issue in my experience. I love mine, best tires I ever had.
I guess you can run them with some more pressure than usual "track pressure" to improve stiffness some.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #439
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
doubt it will come with cups. too aggressive from the factory. It's not a GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #440
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

just to add to the doom and gloom

MISC

The M3/M4 standalone components amounts to roughly 50 per cent. This includes body, chassis and powertrain components.

Does that mean there are only 50% new parts compared to the regular 4 series? Versus 70-80% new parts vs the regular 3 series in prior M generations?