GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #67
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

This is more of a why question; but the AMG GT and the new c63amg have biturbo engines that sound phenomenal naturally. Why did BMW have to go the synthesized route? I agree with most that it's pretty hard to tell; I wish it didn't receive as much attention as I hardly would have noticed and would have driven the new car blissfully ignorant. Now it's the princess and the pea...if you know it's there, it just bothers.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #68
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

Drive it hard, you will get over it quickly
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #69
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
This is more of a why question; but the AMG GT and the new c63amg have biturbo engines that sound phenomenal naturally. Why did BMW have to go the synthesized route? I agree with most that it's pretty hard to tell; I wish it didn't receive as much attention as I hardly would have noticed and would have driven the new car blissfully ignorant. Now it's the princess and the pea...if you know it's there, it just bothers.
Easy, because they have an $8,000 MPE waiting for you to buy. Code off the sound track and you will be all set.

Frankly, I think the sound coming out of the current M exhaust sounds pretty good, especially on cold start up. The interior sound, not so sure but I can probably do without.
      12-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #70
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Easy, because they have an $8,000 MPE waiting for you to buy. Code off the sound track and you will be all set.

Frankly, I think the sound coming out of the current M exhaust sounds pretty good, especially on cold start up. The interior sound, not so sure but I can probably do without.
I'm not sure I'm quite as cynical as you ...

I would start with both of those engines being V8s if I recall ... but also this engine, to get the power and characteristics the engineers wanted, sounds like this.

You could also add in that it's very likely that by the time the team realized it would sound like this they were very far down the path with sunk costs and also had a viable synthesizer solution on the M5 they could port over to the F8x.

The MPE doesn't really change the sound ... it's not like with the MPE all of sudden it sounds like an AMG V8. Exhaust mods have always been about more flow (usually illegal) and revealing the sound that was there, but covered up by sound-suppression.

In this case the F8x engine just kinda sounds how it does, and a new exhaust doesn't reveal anything we didn't know
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #71
Buddy Revell
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4, 991 911 Turbo

Got some coding done at EAS a few weeks ago and had them deactivate active sound. It was easily noticeable. I prefer it now, since when you really get on the throttle, the real exhaust note is still nice and aggressive. When not driving as aggressively, it's generally quieter, which I prefer over synthesized (or recorded) engine noise piped in through my speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #72
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
Technically, it's not fake sound. It's the sound they recorded from the exhaust at that load. It probably doesn't matter to OP, but as someone who considers themselves a "petrol head" as well, I don't think amplifying a car's sound with speakers is any more disingenuous than designing a manifold in such a way that does the same thing (except for that great part about ASD where the noise goes away when you don't want it).
Actually AS in the M3/4 is the actual sound of the engine in real-time, it's not like the M5 where it's all pre-recorded engine load sounds. Apparently BMW heard how pissed people were and changed how AS would amplify engine sounds in the M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #73
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
so guys you are telling that you would have notice the ASD without knowing that from BMW? I am pretty sure that 99,9% of the drivers would NOT recognize induced sound from the speakers ...
How many burgers with extra lettuce would you like now?

Seriously...where do you get these pics?

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #74
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
The notion of artificial sound, created by a synthesizer and pumped through the stereo speakers is so conceptually wrong for a petrol head, that I am very pleased to have ASD off. At least I know the noise emanating from the engine/tailpipes is legitimate.
Great post!

In reference to the portion of your review above, personally, I prefer what sounds "best" versus caring if the sound is legitimate. Caring about whether it is legitimate or not seems somewhat academic. I'll put it another way... if an incredibly attractive woman wanted to have completely rock my world because I had money (let's pretend I'm 70 and rich ) then I couldn't care less if her desire was real or fake as long as it the end result was awesome for me Same here... I'd pick the one you like better for sound regardless of the legitimacy of said sound.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #75
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I'm not sure I'm quite as cynical as you ...

I would start with both of those engines being V8s if I recall ... but also this engine, to get the power and characteristics the engineers wanted, sounds like this.

You could also add in that it's very likely that by the time the team realized it would sound like this they were very far down the path with sunk costs and also had a viable synthesizer solution on the M5 they could port over to the F8x.

The MPE doesn't really change the sound ... it's not like with the MPE all of sudden it sounds like an AMG V8. Exhaust mods have always been about more flow (usually illegal) and revealing the sound that was there, but covered up by sound-suppression.

In this case the F8x engine just kinda sounds how it does, and a new exhaust doesn't reveal anything we didn't know
I would agree with much of what you say, especially that you can't make a T6 sound like a V8...granted. But you can make a T6 sound better. Case in point, my last car with an N54 sounded horrible till I slapped on a Dinan FFE, like night a day different, for like about $2000.

as to why BMW went down this path of engine enhancement noise piped into the cabin(especially in the shadow of the M5), and not put the cash into a better sounding exhaust, is anyone's speculation. Mine just happens to be revenue based, with no cynicism implied but I can understand how one might read it as such.

Lastly, for me, the sound is not as bad as some make it out to be, actually sounds pretty good when driven spiritedly. As for the cabin, this might be just of my age bracket but I prefer a quiet comfortable cocoon to enjoy my actual music library, when I want it that way.
      12-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #76
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
As for the cabin, this might be just of my age bracket but I prefer a quiet comfortable cocoon to enjoy my actual music library, when I want it that way.
BMW is very smart with their focus groups - I think they've found out most people are like you whether it's a road trip, or a phone call, or whatever.

As a 'vert owner I'm already in the minority, but then I drive top-down 95% of the time and, frankly I can't hear shit that way except the wind, the engine, the intake, and now the turbos and some other spacey sounds I can't identify.

So far the F8x has seemed plenty loud, and I bet with the "loin mod" it'll be great.

The nice thing about a hard top, though, is when you want peace and quiet you can still have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #77
Lessthanzero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
Now it's the princess and the pea...if you know it's there, it just bothers.
I believe the point of that story was that the princess noticed - without knowing it was there, which is rather the opposite...
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #78
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

Active Sound is just an absolute slap in the face to any true motor purist.

I don't understand why anyone would want a fake synthetic sound of an engine.

I want to hear the real sound of the car not some BS through my speakers that ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #79
seanq
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 ZCP

BUMP! Hoopumpers what's your feedback on the Active Sound delete while using the Eisenmann exhaust? Care to show us any videos!? Thanks a bunch

Quote:
I had ASD coded off yesterday. Currently have stock exhaust (though eisenmann is on a UPS truck).

Here's my take:
With windows up the cabin is quieter...noticeably quieter. "2-3% sound increase from ASD" as quoted by someone on the forum (who was quoting someone at BMW) is just false. Especially notice the lack of enhanced sound during WOT at 2-5k RPM.

With windows down, the noise is still very similar but more hollow. The sound seems to be entirely coming from the rear of the car, and the cabin is more muted and empty.

With stock exhaust, I'm a little bit torn on the results. I admit it probably sounds a little "better"/fuller with ASD. BUT...and it's a big but... philosophically, I much prefer the sound of the car making noises mechanically. The notion of artificial sound, created by a synthesizer and pumped through the stereo speakers is so conceptually wrong for a petrol head, that I am very pleased to have ASD off. At least I know the noise emanating from the engine/tailpipes is legitimate. With EDC delete coilovers and ASD delete, the car feels less synthetic, and for me that's a big positive. Understandably not everyone will agree.

I will have the full eisenmann system installed Wednesday and report back again.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:40 AM   #80
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
... The notion of artificial sound, created by a synthesizer and pumped through the stereo speakers is so conceptually wrong for a petrol head, ...

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:46 AM   #81
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
I mentioned in another thread that AS would have more of an effect on cabin noise than you would think.

Like the soundaktor on VWs. It was supposed to be minor, just like here, but when disabled it was very noticeable. I'll probably turn mine off once I figure out where I'm going with the exhaust.

I knew my MK6 GTI had the "soundaktor". I could barely tell it was ever there - but it was. And the cabin sound was generally very pleasant as a result. On the other hand, when I sat in the f82 for my test drive and I was like WTF! It's borderline offensive. Ok, I'm exaggerrating ... but really obvious, in an unpleasant way.

Now that we have reports that the sound can basically be coded to sound like whatever you wish it to sound like (a KIA soul, or even make it sound like a 135i), we know it's no more than cabin speaker piped, hot steamy bullshit! Not real time, engine bay amplified noise as was once described ... it's a freaking synthesizer! Like you would make your Roland piano keyboard sound like African drums or an electric guitar.

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 01-27-2015 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #82
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
so guys you are telling that you would have notice the ASD without knowing that from BMW? I am pretty sure that 99,9% of the drivers would NOT recognize induced sound from the speakers ...
When I went for my test drive, active sound was one of the last things on my mind to evaluate. My main focus was to compare DCT to Manual, get a feel for the seats, take the new s55 for a few runs and what not. But for the active sound to jump out at me and be front and center, before even leaving the dealership parking lot was obnoxious enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:51 AM   #83
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomF80 View Post
... Perhaps a good analogy is acoustic violin vs. electric violin. No matter how great my electric violin sounds, it just never sound as natural and pure as my acoustic violin. Same goes with the sound of the F80.

Nailed it!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:56 AM   #84
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
Same here.

So to those who coded it off. Car sounds Lexusy afterwards ? Like it gutless?

Like a 335i?

Whatever it sounds like with A/S coded off, is whatever it should sound like. Why are folks afraid to confront that fact? I guess it's a purist thing. Not for everyone.

It is almost like a 5 foot guy walking around in heels all the time, in total denial that he is biologically short. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's just dishonest.

For the record, my unadulterated 335i sounds fantastic. At least it has that going for it.

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 01-27-2015 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:59 AM   #85
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I strongly believe the sound track was an attempt by BMW to appeal to the NAV8 guys that had it in the previous S65.

I disagree. I do not believe that was the intention. The exhaust note confirms that. There is no mistaking that this is an inline 6. Very e46-y rasp.

We must not forget that turbos just muffle any decent exhaust/engine noise you may have produced. Couple that with modern day "luxury" cabin insulation and it does not take much to see how they arrived at this conclusion. I sincerely believe that is all there is to it. No attempt at appealing to these guys or the others.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #86
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

You guys are acting as if this is only being done by BMW. Active sound is here to stay, like it or not. With the proliferation of turbo motors, it will become as common as dirt, in our class of vehicles.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #87
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
You guys are acting as if this is only being done by BMW. Active sound is here to stay, like it or not. With the proliferation of turbo motors, it will become as common as dirt, in our class of vehicles.
Not exactly. As mentioned earlier, I've acknolwledged it in my VW GTI. The point is it is done better by other manufacturers. In the case of the GTI, much more subtle. Less obvious. But then again, if you can't hear it in the f80 or if it doesn't bother you in the first place, then you don't know what I'm referring to.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #88
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Not exactly. As mentioned earlier, I've acknolwledged it in my VW GTI. The point is it is done better by other manufacturers. In the case of the GTI, much more subtle. Less obvious. But then again, if you can't hear it in the f80 or if it doesn't bother you in the first place, then you don't know what I'm referring to.
Or maybe what you "think" you hear isn't active sound There... I bet I just blew your mind with that one

I'm a firm believer that many are inflicted by placebo effect and because they know there is active sound believe they can hear it. I would bet $1,000 that if BMW didn't tell anyone it existed that there would not be one person here claiming to hear fake sound. I could be wrong... some will say I am and that's OK... but that is my opinion. People know it is there so they interpret certain sounds as being active sound... maybe, just maybe, that is how the car actually sounds? There... blew your mind again didn't I?
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 01-27-2015 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 1