Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #925
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
for all the 9/15 guys that may cross a border or two... please report back asap on what the borders look like given everything going on. Still wondering if I should modify plans. Enjoy and get pics of the cars up ASAP
The Germans and Austrians have put up border control "checkpoints" to stop anyone without papers. Just bring your passport and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #926
jeffast
Rep
Drives: 2002 m3

Hi,

Just doing some planning on what route to take. I pickup on Oct23 in the morning.

Plan is to drive to Zurich after pickup and tours.
Next stop is Lake Como.
Them on to Cannes where I have a work conference that starts on Monday.

As you can see on the map, I put a bit of a crazy pass day between Zurich and Como. It is all weather dependent, and maybe a bit too much driving to be fun.

Any thoughts?

https://goo.gl/maps/yolC1

Thanks,
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:06 PM   #927
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The Germans and Austrians have put up border control "checkpoints" to stop anyone without papers. Just bring your passport and you'll be fine.
Thanks. Keep us posted. We leave on October 12 and arrive on the 13th.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:59 AM   #928
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Obligatory Neuschwanstein pics

Met up with MFNATIK for the required Neuschwanstein photo op. Beautiful day. Great family you've got there MFNATIK, hope the trip to Lake Como was a good one. In Rothenburg now. For anyone considering it on their itinerary..DO IT! Amazing medieval town.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      09-18-2015, 01:08 AM   #929
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife on this trip. Thanks for introducing yourself at the Welt as I would have never figured out it was you!

The drive down to Lake Como was pretty hairy as it started off with the strong winds knocking down a tree and blocking traffic for about an hour. During that time I got pelted with pine cones and needles while sitting there waiting for the Germans to clean the road . I have to admit they were VERY efficient and got things moving pretty quick for the size of tree that went down (very big conifer!).

The rest of the drive was in mostly in the rain so I had to take it easy. I got stopped at the Italian border so they could check out the car and our passports
Attached Images

Last edited by MFNATIK; 09-18-2015 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 5
      09-18-2015, 01:31 AM   #930
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
Met up with MFNATIK for the required Neuschwanstein photo op. Beautiful day. Great family you've got there MFNATIK, hope the trip to Lake Como was a good one. In Rothenburg now. For anyone considering it on their itinerary..DO IT! Amazing medieval town.
Wow. Two gorgeous colors!

Love them in the sun.

Have a great time over there, and post some good photos and suggestions for those of us who arrive in a few weeks.

Appreciate 1
      09-18-2015, 01:40 AM   #931
Throttleday
Dual World BIMmer
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Austin

European Delivery not available???

Ok - now I'm getting jealous. All you guys with your free trips to Europe (ok, you had to buy an expensive car to get the free trip, but I just can't feel sorry for you...)

I've beginning to feel stonewalled by a couple of my local dealerships. I started the process of building and ordering a new M4 last April and pulled the trigger late in July. The eCommerce director told me that my first choice of color, Tanzanite Blue, isn't available or would take so long it might as well be unavailable. Feeling pressured I switched over to Austin Yellow and got the car ordered. It's due here in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, I also kept cruising the web and recently found the YouTube video about BMW's most expensive color. I was immediately hooked and decided to look into the color issue - the car that's coming isn't mine yet so my options are still open.

A different dealer told me that Tanzanite Blue would be no problem to get - at worst, it would take an extra few weeks. ARRRGGH!!! However, this dealer told me that the European Delivery option was not available - that they have a very limited number of M4s available to them and none of them were European Delivery. What is going on here?

Are these guys just snowing me? Whether it's incompetence, laziness or something a bit more underhanded, I have no problem telling the first dealership to go stuff it - this level of customer service is NOT what I've come to rely on as the BMW experience. The second dealership seems more customer-oriented so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. For now.

Ideas? Opinions? Bad advice?

Thanks in advance.
Track Instructor - Boston BMW CCA, SCDA
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 03:03 AM   #932
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttleday View Post
Ok - now I'm getting jealous. All you guys with your free trips to Europe (ok, you had to buy an expensive car to get the free trip, but I just can't feel sorry for you...)

I've beginning to feel stonewalled by a couple of my local dealerships.
Send a PM to GOLFFRR he can get you the car you want for a good price. You could even take delivery(for free) at the BMW Performance Center and have a blast driving the entire(or most) of the BMW fleet!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...id+sales+order
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #933
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Miles + Points = almost free. Gas and food not included.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #934
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Send a PM to GOLFFRR he can get you the car you want for a good price. You could even take delivery(for free) at the BMW Performance Center and have a blast driving the entire(or most) of the BMW fleet!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...id+sales+order
Yes, I am using 400,000 miles accumulated (on purpose) over the past 5+ years for our flights. The savings on the car pay for the hotels and the meals, etc.

Trust me, I have been dealing with my dealer recently and it hasn't been too fun. But my order is produced and my flights are booked. It's better to shop around and get solid offers first. Now that the 2016 model year is actually in full swing, that shouldn't be difficult. Check out Pacific BMW in LA. Ask for Greg. He's an expert on this, and I wish I had gone with him in the first place.

http://www.pacificbmw.com/dealership/staff.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #935
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Yes, I am using 400,000 miles accumulated (on purpose) over the past 5+ years for our flights. The savings on the car pay for the hotels and the meals, etc.

Trust me, I have been dealing with my dealer recently and it hasn't been too fun. But my order is produced and my flights are booked. It's better to shop around and get solid offers first. Now that the 2016 model year is actually in full swing, that shouldn't be difficult. Check out Pacific BMW in LA. Ask for Greg. He's an expert on this, and I wish I had gone with him in the first place.

http://www.pacificbmw.com/dealership/staff.htm
Greg is awesome, but he understands the market well so I wouldn't expect crazy deals. But he is awesome, upfront and a total pro.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #936
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
Greg is awesome, but he understands the market well so I wouldn't expect crazy deals. But he is awesome, upfront and a total pro.
Greg was one I reached out to.... was very kind but I found a significantly better deal elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #937
Throttleday
Dual World BIMmer
Rep

Thanks for the replies and advice - glad I came to you guys. Sounds like I have options, especially since I'm not in a hurry (any longer) and I'm not going to let the dealerships pressure me.

BwoodBMW would you mind telling me who you went with? I'm not locked into my region (Bay Area) and I'm reaching out as far as Massachusetts.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #938
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Wow. Two gorgeous colors!

Love them in the sun.

Have a great time over there, and post some good photos and suggestions for those of us who arrive in a few weeks.

Man, all I can say is ED is truly the greatest car purchasing program EVER. BMW does it so right too. I cannot imagine buying another new car any other way.

If you're heading into Italy, I would just recommend you spend at least 2 days in Lake Como area to visit Villa del Balbianello and walk around Bellagio. It truly one of the most beautiful places we visited on this trip. Driving here on the narrow roads seemed intimidating at first but then if you bought an M3, then you're probably into driving and it is a BLAST to drive on the winding Strada Statale 583 and 340. I also ended up driving on Via Garibaldi which takes you into the heart of the shops in Bellagio. Kinda crazy at first but then I've never driven up next to stores and people that close before and it turned out really cool to get up close to everything in a car. BTW, it seems like the majority of Italians know and understand what it is to drive quick and close haha. My wife of course was freaking out just being a passenger but I was getting quite the kick out of driving along the lakeside. I'll post a summary of the trip once I get back but so far, so good. Another 9 days to go!
Appreciate 3
      09-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #939
Throttleday
Dual World BIMmer
Rep

Winter Driving in Bavaria?

Would anybody do it? I know one of the options is to arrive, be presented with the car and just let BMW take from there and not drive it on questionable roads. But what a missed opportunity...

Has anybody picked up their car and driven it in Europe during the winter? I'm originally from New England and I would NEVER want to drive a new car on those winter roads, but then I think all the local governments have invested heavily in the salt industry. I don't mind wet roads or even icy roads, but it's the wear and tear of rock salt and gravel on a fresh paint job that I want to avoid.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #940
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and advice - glad I came to you guys. Sounds like I have options, especially since I'm not in a hurry (any longer) and I'm not going to let the dealerships pressure me.

BwoodBMW, would you mind telling me who you went with? I'm not locked into my region (Bay Area) and I'm reaching out as far as Massachusetts.

Thanks!
PM sent... if you have been an avid reader of this thread not much to be surprised about.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #941
jeffast
Rep
Drives: 2002 m3

On travel costs, trying not to brag...

I am in Europe about half a dozen times a year for work. This work trip to Cannes is working great, as the drive takes me over the Alps. It's not too far. I get to stay for free in Zurich with family. I get 2016 production, with SO exterior back in production.

Hotels on other days are points. Looking like First class upgrade on flights (good frequent flyer status as I fly 150k miles last year). I get 8 international legs a year with AA EP status.

Only issue is I made the non-work part a little short at only a few days and possible weather issues late October. I should have time to head to Monaco or a few other day trips.

Btw, price is decent. 1k off ED MSRP.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #942
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would anybody do it? I know one of the options is to arrive, be presented with the car and just let BMW take from there and not drive it on questionable roads. But what a missed opportunity...

Has anybody picked up their car and driven it in Europe during the winter? I'm originally from New England and I would NEVER want to drive a new car on those winter roads, but then I think all the local governments have invested heavily in the salt industry. I don't mind wet roads or even icy roads, but it's the wear and tear of rock salt and gravel on a fresh paint job that I want to avoid.

I did my first ED in December. The roads on the passes were icy and snowy, but we did fine. The roads out of the passes were rainy, by again we made it through. The car arrived stateside looking brand new. Perfect. And I had that car for 8 years, and there were no problems with paint or anything else. 1 week of winter conditions won't phase a new BMW. They are designed for it. Regardless of the time of year, it's well worth it.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #943
M3DrS
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam
Quote:

I did my first ED in December. The roads on the passes were icy and snowy, but we did fine. The roads out of the passes were rainy, by again we made it through. The car arrived stateside looking brand new. Perfect. And I had that car for 8 years, and there were no problems with paint or anything else. 1 week of winter conditions won't phase a new BMW. They are designed for it. Regardless of the time of year, it's well worth it.
The winter tire option is so convenient and the tires are of high quality -- I agree it is not a huge deal. My wife and I went a different direction a couple years ago towards Dresden and Berlin. Which was enjoyable and low stress on the roads if that is a concern.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #944
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Man, all I can say is ED is truly the greatest car purchasing program EVER. BMW does it so right too. I cannot imagine buying another new car any other way.

If you're heading into Italy, I would just recommend you spend at least 2 days in Lake Como area to visit Villa del Balbianello and walk around Bellagio. It truly one of the most beautiful places we visited on this trip. Driving here on the narrow roads seemed intimidating at first but then if you bought an M3, then you're probably into driving and it is a BLAST to drive on the winding Strada Statale 583 and 340. I also ended up driving on Via Garibaldi which takes you into the heart of the shops in Bellagio. Kinda crazy at first but then I've never driven up next to stores and people that close before and it turned out really cool to get up close to everything in a car. BTW, it seems like the majority of Italians know and understand what it is to drive quick and close haha. My wife of course was freaking out just being a passenger but I was getting quite the kick out of driving along the lakeside. I'll post a summary of the trip once I get back but so far, so good. Another 9 days to go!
HAHA. I did the exact same thing in Bellagio Loved the area though we liked Lake Garda even more.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 2
      09-19-2015, 01:13 AM   #945
Throttleday
Dual World BIMmer
Rep

Sounding better and better...

Thanks guys - that's what I was hoping to hear. Unless we have to take the high passes it sounds like we can avoid the worst of the winter stuff. I'm ordering a very special paint and that's going to take at least 3 months to get into production so it's probably going to be January or later before I make the trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #946
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam
Quote:

Thanks for your post, your experience gives me some hope for my first ED on mid Dec this year!

I will opt out of snow tires and create a route that are less likely to face icy road surfaces
Appreciate 0