Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

09-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #111
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Father
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31 View Post
What are you basing that off of? I and others happily went with the x-ice last winter and I haven't see anyone on here complaining about the tire. I've personally driven though 6 inches of unplowed snow without issues, including doing a 3 point turn at the end of my driveway. I've also driven on packed snow/slush/ice without issues. I think it's a great tire.
I've had the Xice and whatever Pirelli's studless snow was. Again, I'm talking ice and snow only, not all around performance. The Xice and Pirelli were no better than the all season that came on the car (RSX). Now, its been quite a while, so things could have changed. But Tire Racks review shows they aren't in the same league on ice/snow.

I used both the Xice and the Pirelli for one winter season....and I'm trying to remember what I did with them, and can't. Which means they were likely tossed in the trash...or used for smokey burnouts....Its been the WS ever since. The WS lasts 5-6 seasons. Shit, I've got a set in my garage right now...they outlasted the car!

I had my RSX for 13 winters. I used the OEM Michelins the first winter. Xice the 2nd, Pirelli the 3rd, and then 2 sets of Blizzaks. The first set of Blizzaks lasted 6 seasons. The 2nd set went thru 4, and I had planned to squeeze a 5th.

The cost amortized over 5 or 6 years is nothing. Why everybody doesn't do it is beyond me.

I will say that since I last purchased snow tires my commute has gone from around an hour to about 6 minutes. So if X is the only option....I'm probably on board. Worst case scenario: I hate them and use the $500 I saved on the group buy to get the Haka's I really wanted!
XICE 3? Or earlier versions? That could make a difference. The new xice3 ranks high.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #112
MCamachoF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

6 more people to go!
      09-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #113
///M3_F80
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCamachoF80
6 more people to go!
Sorry, I have to back out. Went for a different set elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #114
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3_F80
Quote:
6 more people to go!
Which set did you end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 07:10 AM   #115
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

I signed up at the Group Buy site. Im just gonna need to pick your guys brains about which sizing and fitment to go with
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #116
///M3_F80
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCommunist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3_F80
Quote:
6 more people to go!
Which set did you end up going with?
I went with a set of 19" gloss black M3 F80 reps. +35 offset, square set up 255-35-19 Michelin Alpin PA4's.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #117
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
I signed up at the Group Buy site. Im just gonna need to pick your guys brains about which sizing and fitment to go with
This was my reasoning for my set up. I live in Michigan. I have the 437 stock wheels. For the winter I wanted an 18 inch setup to have more sidewall given the higher chance of damaging wheels and tires (slippery conditions, more potholes/cracks in the roads, plus harder to see those pot holes given that roads can be covered in snow and less daylight hours).

Then I decided on a square setup to be able to rotate the tires.

Now the options are either a 255/40/18 or a 245/45/18. The first option is almost identical in diameter/circumference to the fronts and the latter is almost identical in diameter/circumference to the rears.
I decided on the 245/45/18 square option as it has a little bit more sidewall and just a little narrower tire, both of which should help in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #118
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by visi107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
This was my reasoning for my set up. I live in Michigan. I have the 437 stock wheels. For the winter I wanted an 18 inch setup to have more sidewall given the higher chance of damaging wheels and tires (slippery conditions, more potholes/cracks in the roads, plus harder to see those pot holes given that roads can be covered in snow and less daylight hours).

Then I decided on a square setup to be able to rotate the tires.

Now the options are either a 255/40/18 or a 245/45/18. The first option is almost identical in diameter/circumference to the fronts and the latter is almost identical in diameter/circumference to the rears.
I decided on the 245/45/18 square option as it has a little bit more sidewall and just a little narrower tire, both of which should help in the snow.
Thank you. I'm gonna go with your setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #119
The Father
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
XICE 3? Or earlier versions? That could make a difference. The new xice3 ranks high.
Yep, it woulda been an old model. We'll see, I'm broke, so pretty sure I'm going with it.

Btw, just cuz it ranks 2nd doesn't mean it ranks hi. The gap between it and the Blizz on ice/snow is gargantuan.

Peeps gotta stop looking at the overall rating and look at the rating for what they need it for. If u don't get lots of snow, you'll prob hate the Blizz.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #120
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Father
Quote:
Yep, it woulda been an old model. We'll see, I'm broke, so pretty sure I'm going with it.

Btw, just cuz it ranks 2nd doesn't mean it ranks hi. The gap between it and the Blizz on ice/snow is gargantuan.

Peeps gotta stop looking at the overall rating and look at the rating for what they need it for. If u don't get lots of snow, you'll prob hate the Blizz.
Lately for the nasty stuff, the Xice3 and the Nokian R2 are numbers 1 and 2 rated. Blizzak seems to have gone down a notch with the newest generation compared to the Nokians and Xice. If you are basing your opinion on older generation tires you may want to re-look at what is out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:47 PM   #121
Dareal
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm trying to figure out what setup to go with. I'm in the northeast (NYC suburbs) so the amount of snow is considerable but not insane. My M3 will be my daily driver on a 10 mile backroad / highway commute. Snow plows are usually good but the occasional snow during commuting hours does happen. I have some flexibility but generally need to be in the office for my job.

So the question is - studless or performance? Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #122
The Father
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Lately for the nasty stuff, the Xice3 and the Nokian R2 are numbers 1 and 2 rated. Blizzak seems to have gone down a notch with the newest generation compared to the Nokians and Xice. If you are basing your opinion on older generation tires you may want to re-look at what is out there.
Yeah, I'm open due to upgraded tech. But it was exactly that R&T comparo that made me want the Noki's.

But thanks to the linkster!!! Tho that comparo led me to the Noki, I did not recall the X being 2nd!

So I guess 2nd place is the winner!

BTW, we are at 32!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #123
The Father
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dareal View Post
If you are questioning it, I'd go with studless snow. They don't wear out in a season like when they first came out. So you'll get years of service.

Personally, I don't get the performance snow category. Its just as oxymoronish as "all season". All seasons suck in all seasons. Perfomance snows suck in the snow and can't perform on pavement.

If I were in a place with occasional light snow, I'd probably source an all season with a lower speed rating/softer compound.

This might help:

With studless you'll be out accelerating SUVs in snow, but they are super squishy. So if you are on a plowed street 90%, not only will it be a lot less fun, but if you run the tire hard it WILL wear quickly.

With Performance snows, realize the "performance" is in relation to a studless' non-performance. They are by no means what so ever a performance tire. But if streets are usually clear, and you only have an occasional white knuckle drive in the snow, this might work better. They are harder/stiffer and will take more punishment on pavement.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #124
MCamachoF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dareal
I'm trying to figure out what setup to go with. I'm in the northeast (NYC suburbs) so the amount of snow is considerable but not insane. My M3 will be my daily driver on a 10 mile backroad / highway commute. Snow plows are usually good but the occasional snow during commuting hours does happen. I have some flexibility but generally need to be in the office for my job.

Hey I'm in the same area as you. I'm in North NJ I am going with studless ice and snow(X-ICE). I agree with The Father. Might as well get the tire that will do the best job when you are in trouble and we have those occasional bad snow storms.
      09-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #125
MCamachoF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fan View Post
I completed the feeler but I don't really know what I am looking for in terms of sizing. I'll just go with whatever the popular square setup is. However, I'll say this - is $200 off all we should be expecting for a large group buy? This is my first F80 (and thus first experience with the "M tax"), but when I have participated in previous automotive group buys the discounts were always greater than roughly 10%.
We figured this would be brought up. So let me explain the numbers.

The discount is much bigger. Total value is $450~ off.

Shipping is free which is worth $150. Mounting and balancing is free. OEM Huff TPMS sensors are discounted. Other hardware is discounted.

We couldn't set the site up to charge full price for everything and then apply the discount. That would have been perfect for this deal. Thanks for the feedback, we'll let the site know the current format creates some confusion, and makes a great deal look mediocre.

EDIT:

On Monday we'll sent notice to everyone from the survey. Anyone who listed "I don't know" for wheel or tire sizes will be contacted by a product expert so that we can provided a tailored fitment recommendation.
Eddy we reached the goal of 30. If this continues to go strong can you make the discount bigger ? Like 300 off at 45?
      09-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #126
The Father
Private First Class
Rep

$2,200*35=$77,000

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #127
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visi107 View Post
UPDATE 9/09
Group buy pricing is now announced and in the feeler phase. Please go to the following link, say you are interested, and build your preferred package. There is no commitment to buy just because you say you are interested. Everything is not 100.00% set in stone....
Now that you have several M2ers on the group buy and you've reached your goal of 30, could we renegotiate the discount? Maybe if we get 50 interested, then we can bring the discount to $400 instead of just the $200? Think about it, that's a huge order.
      09-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #128
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaMi
Quote:
UPDATE 9/09
Group buy pricing is now announced and in the feeler phase. Please go to the following link, say you are interested, and build your preferred package. There is no commitment to buy just because you say you are interested. Everything is not 100.00% set in stone....
Now that you have several M2ers on the group buy and you've reached your goal of 30, could we renegotiate the discount? Maybe if we get 50 interested, then we can bring the discount to $400 instead of just the $200? Think about it, that's a huge order.
I think that would be awesome. The contact who I talked to to set up the group but is Eddy@ApexRaceParts. He has posted throughout the thread here.

I will talk to him. Feel free to contact him as well if you want.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #129
F1fan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Quote:
I think that would be awesome. The contact who I talked to to set up the group but is Eddy@ApexRaceParts. He has posted throughout the thread here.

I will talk to him. Feel free to contact him as well if you want.
Thanks, Visi. It seems to me that since we are blowing past our thresholds that additional discounts would be warranted. Especially if 40-50 forum members are running around on new Apex wheels. Great advertising for them...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #130
Dareal
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCamachoF80 View Post
Hey I'm in the same area as you. I'm in North NJ I am going with studless ice and snow(X-ICE). I agree with The Father. Might as well get the tire that will do the best job when you are in trouble and we have those occasional bad snow storms.
So the X-ICE will be best for the few days where there is bad snow. What about the other days? I got a nice, curvy backroad that allows for spirited driving. Will I regret the purchase every dry day? Will I destroy the tires completely?

I had a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D on a 335xi before and those were fine for dry weather driving in the winter. Not great through. Didn't have any major snow that winter so no experience there.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #131
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCamachoF80 View Post
Eddy we reached the goal of 30. If this continues to go strong can you make the discount bigger ? Like 300 off at 45?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaMi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fan View Post
Thanks, Visi. It seems to me that since we are blowing past our thresholds that additional discounts would be warranted. Especially if 40-50 forum members are running around on new Apex wheels. Great advertising for them...
30+ have shown interest but zero have technically committed payment because this is just the feeler phase. Not everyone ends up buying and that conversion ratio is usually around 50-60%. You can see that conversion rate on other deals. It can take 60 "interested" just to get to 30 real participants.

When building out this deal we considered following the standard format with multiple tiers. If we did that, we'd have set the current max discount at a much higher threshold (80 sets to be specific). Lower demand like where we are currently as of this post would have earned a lesser discount. Because we really wanted to test out offering tires as part of a deal for the first time, we agreed to keep the deal simple and significantly lower the threshold to ensure its success. The discount on this deal is much deeper than any deal we've done ever when you factor everything in.

Our standards ARC-8/EC-7 deals require 80 sets to get the same discount. Deals like that have ended up with 154 and 167 sets/participants.

In comparison to those volumes, this is a very small deal.

In summary we made sure this deal is priced really well for the size it will inevitably reach.

Last edited by Eddy@ApexWheels; 09-23-2016 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: removed duplicate word
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #132
F1fan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts View Post
30+ have shown interest but zero have technically committed payment because this is just the feeler phase. Not everyone ends up buying and that conversion ratio is usually around 50-60%. You can see that conversion rate on other deals. It can take 60 "interested" just to get to 30 real participants.

When building out this deal we considered following the standard format with multiple tiers. If we did that, we'd have set the current max discount at a much higher threshold (80 sets to be specific). Lower demand like where we are currently as of this post would have earned a lesser discount. Because we really wanted to test out offering tires as part of a deal for the first time, we agreed to keep the deal simple and significantly lower the threshold to ensure its success. The discount on this deal is much deeper than any deal we've done ever when you factor everything in.

Our standards ARC-8/EC-7 deals require 80 sets to get the same discount. Deals like that have ended up with 154 and 167 sets/participants.

In comparison to those volumes, this is a very small deal.

In summary we made sure this deal is priced really well for the size it will reach inevitably reach.
Sounds fair to me. Thanks for your support, Eddy!
Appreciate 0