Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #111
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

I have my car in the shop, again, working on the caster this time. I'll let you know the alignment specs and if it works when I get it back. On vacation now...
      03-22-2017, 05:11 AM   #112
einscot
Banned
Rep
Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d

alignment results

i took it in for its break in service and i'm uploading both the service notes (pages 2 and 3) and the alignment spec sheet here so others can weigh in. i have nowhere near the amount of experience with this issue as others, so hoping a quick check would answer if they really did anything, or if this is simply band aiding the problem again. looks like only one number really changed (right toe was double what it should have been on the + side, now it's back in spec).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw first service.pdf (327.0 KB, 617 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #113
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by einscot View Post
i took it in for its break in service and i'm uploading both the service notes (pages 2 and 3) and the alignment spec sheet here so others can weigh in. i have nowhere near the amount of experience with this issue as others, so hoping a quick check would answer if they really did anything, or if this is simply band aiding the problem again. looks like only one number really changed (right toe was double what it should have been on the + side, now it's back in spec).
Interesting, it looks like they ordered and replaced the camber bearing on your car, too but it made zero difference in the before and after front camber stats. Also surprised by how little front camber the right has, just barely of 1 degree.

Yes, toe was off, but if I'm reading this correctly, the right toe was in/to the left by .22 degrees which wouldn't make the car go right, rather just be eating the outside edge of your right side tire.

Is it driving straight now?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #114
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Car dropped, SA has the new camber bearings and will install and align, along with loosening the thrust bearings while the car's suspension is unloaded then tightening while loaded.

Praying that this fixes the pull and gets the -1.3 of front left camber back!

Hoping for the best at this point, so also having them flush the OE brake fluid with 2 liters of SRF. I'll install race pads next Friday before COTA if all seems well

Sure hope it does. Dying to get some track seat time in this car!!!
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR714.00
      03-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #115
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Something is off with your alignment sheet. The target values do not appear to be correct for your car and the left and right target values do not match. Camber, Caster and Toe should all be the same left to right and yours are all off.

I am attaching the actual copies of all of my alignment sheets. Have a look at page 4 which was also taken by a Kinematics machine. If you look at all of mine, every single one has target data matched left to right. It's as if they selected the wrong vehicle type to perform your alignment or they used a custom setting.

As AustinTrkJunkie has pointed out, they set your toe to compensate for the pull. This is similar to what was done to mine and I bet your handling now feels off. Does steering feel twitchy? Like you are now constantly having to correct more than normal when the suspension is upset? Does the car no longer feel "planted" and does taking corners hard induce understeer?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf All_Alignments_20170310_R.pdf (839.9 KB, 604 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #116
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright guys, so not sure what to think - and def am not saying the thrust-rod solution is right - but 2 days having the car back and it seems "right"

no pull, will track left if the crown is left, did a super high speed corner today off L1 to 45 east at 110mph and wasn't (too)scared. The car before was not safe feeling on that corner at 95...stable now at way over that speed

So, my SA is sending a sheet with what was done, when I picked the car up he said he "had to work with BMW NA Customer Satisfaction' and would send it soon so I left without a receipt of work done.

Still haven't seen that work order, but my SA said it was a huge amount of work getting it together, and I like and totally believe him.

Sorry I don't have more for everyone, will send the receipt/detials when I get it.
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR714.00
      03-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #117
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Luckily I've only experienced pull to the forward.

Best of luck to getting the issue resolved everyone!
      03-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #118
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Luckily I've only experienced pull to the forward.

Best of luck to getting the issue resolved everyone!
Lol clever
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1718.50
      03-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #119
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Alright guys, so not sure what to think - and def am not saying the thrust-rod solution is right - but 2 days having the car back and it seems "right"

no pull, will track left if the crown is left, did a super high speed corner today off L1 to 45 east at 110mph and wasn't (too)scared. The car before was not safe feeling on that corner at 95...stable now at way over that speed

So, my SA is sending a sheet with what was done, when I picked the car up he said he "had to work with BMW NA Customer Satisfaction' and would send it soon so I left without a receipt of work done.

Still haven't seen that work order, but my SA said it was a huge amount of work getting it together, and I like and totally believe him.

Sorry I don't have more for everyone, will send the receipt/detials when I get it.
This is positive news and is consistent with what I have been told by Dinan. I believe the bushing they have been working on developing is for the thrust rod/arm to remove the flex induced by the large rubber OEM bushing. The solution is similar to the Fall Line mono ball kit, but adjustable.

Looking forward to the details of work done.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #120
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
This is positive news and is consistent with what I have been told by Dinan. I believe the bushing they have been working on developing is for the thrust rod/arm to remove the flex induced by the large rubber OEM bushing. The solution is similar to the Fall Line mono ball kit, but adjustable.

Yup, will post the receipt of the work done as soon as my SA mails them to me!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #121
einscot
Banned
Rep
Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, will post the receipt of the work done as soon as my SA mails them to me!
this is great news because, after everything they did with my car last week, it's not feeling sturdy in cornering. if this is a true fix, then i will make sure my SA gets it done since it appears all they did before was try to slap a bandaid on my correction issue and not actually solve it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #122
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
this is great news because, after everything they did with my car last week, it's not feeling sturdy in cornering. if this is a true fix, then i will make sure my SA gets it done since it appears all they did before was try to slap a bandaid on my correction issue and not actually solve it.
Let me message my SA, he still hasn't send across the work order. Could be waiting on NA, but will follow up anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #123
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Got the details today

JOB# 1 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LABOR------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J# 1 18BMZCA CHECK ALIGNMENT TECH(S):5185 WARRANTY
CLIENT STATES VEHICLE PULLS TO THE RIGHT AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS
(SEE HISTORY - SOP HERE)
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
REMOVED AND REPLACED -30MIN LEFT SWIVAL BEARING WITH A 0
DEGREE SWIVAL BEARING. PERFOMRED ELECTRONIC CHASSIS AND
SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT. WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS OK WITH RIDE
HEIGHT MEASUREMENT WITH-OUT LOAD, ADJUSTED FRONT AXLE AND
REAR AXLE.
LOOSENED AND RE-TIGHTENDED THRUST ROD BUSHING BOLTS PER
CUSTOMER REQUEST

PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION--------------------UNIT PRICE-
1 31-21-2-284-001 CARRIER, LEFT WARRANTY
4 31-20-6-783-065 COLLAR SCREW WARRANTY
1 07-11-9-905-418 HEX BOLT WITH WASHE WARRANTY
1 33-32-6-768-884 HEXAGON NUT WITH CO WARRANTY
3 33-30-6-787-062 COMBINATION NUT WARRANTY
TOTAL - PARTS 0.00

JOB# 1 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 1 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 1 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 2 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LABOR------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J# 2 25BMZCR CLIENT RETURN TECH(S):483 0.00
CLIENT RETURN
NO CR

JOB# 2 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 2 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 2 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 3 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 3 09BMZBF *BRAKE FLUSH TECH(S):5185 110.50
CLIENT REQUESTS BRAKE SYSTEM FLUSH WITH PERFORMANCE RACE
BRAKE FLUID SUPPLIED IN CAR BY CLIENT
DUE FOR BRAKE FLUSH
CLEARED SYSTEM OF OLD BRAKE FLUID AND ADDED SUPPLIED FLUID

JOB# 3 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------
LABOR 110.50

JOB# 3 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 3 TOTAL 110.50
JOB# 4 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 4 20BMZBL LOANER RESERVATION TECH(S):9999 0.00
BMW LOANER RESERVATION IN TSD

JOB# 4 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 4 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 4 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 5 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 5 00BMZNOTIFIED NOTIFIED CLIENT TECH(S):9999 0.00
SERVICE ADVISOR HAS NOTIFIED CLIENT
NOTIFIED CLIENT 3/23 @ 12:00 KC5120

JOB# 5 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 5 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 5 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 6 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 6 21BMZBCW CAR WASH TECH(S):9000 0.00
CUSTOMER REQUESTS CAR WASH
MO: 1982
COMPLETED CAR WASH

JOB# 6 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 6 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 6 TOTAL 0.00
COMMENTS----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BL - NEED DONE BY NOON 3/23 -512-296-5532

TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
************************************************ TOTAL LABOR.... 110.50
* * TOTAL PARTS.... 0.00
* [ ] CASH [ ] CHECK CK NO. [ ] * TOTAL SUBLET... 0.00
* * TOTAL G.O.G.... 0.00
* [ ] VISA [ ] MASTERCARD [ ] DISCOVER * TOTAL MISC CHG. 0.00
* * TOTAL MISC DISC 0.00
* [ ] AMER XPRESS [ ] OTHER [ ] CHARGE * TOTAL TAX...... 0.00
* * --------
************************************************ TOTAL INVOICE $ 110.50
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #124
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got the details today
Thanks - did they provide alignment sheet? I drop off my car tomorrow afternoon and will definitely ask them to re-torque thrust rod bushings. They are quoting me $189 for a 4-wheel alignment and will go from there. Loaner is being provided so they can keep the car as long as they need to correct this.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #125
tonywham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 ZCP

so this finally fixed the problem or just another band-aid stuff...since OP has been driving the car for a while after the fixing, anything new to update?

Just want to appreciate this thread, I thought the problem can't be solved, and was thinking about starting a lemon car arbitration with BMW

Quote:
Got the details today

JOB# 1 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 1 18BMZCA CHECK ALIGNMENT TECH(S):5185 WARRANTY
CLIENT STATES VEHICLE PULLS TO THE RIGHT AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS
(SEE HISTORY - SOP HERE)
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
REMOVED AND REPLACED -30MIN LEFT SWIVAL BEARING WITH A 0
DEGREE SWIVAL BEARING. PERFOMRED ELECTRONIC CHASSIS AND
SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT. WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS OK WITH RIDE
HEIGHT MEASUREMENT WITH-OUT LOAD, ADJUSTED FRONT AXLE AND
REAR AXLE.
LOOSENED AND RE-TIGHTENDED THRUST ROD BUSHING BOLTS PER
CUSTOMER REQUEST

PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION--------------------UNIT PRICE-
1 31-21-2-284-001 CARRIER, LEFT WARRANTY
4 31-20-6-783-065 COLLAR SCREW WARRANTY
1 07-11-9-905-418 HEX BOLT WITH WASHE WARRANTY
1 33-32-6-768-884 HEXAGON NUT WITH CO WARRANTY
3 33-30-6-787-062 COMBINATION NUT WARRANTY
TOTAL - PARTS 0.00

JOB# 1 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 1 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 1 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 2 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 2 25BMZCR CLIENT RETURN TECH(S):483 0.00
CLIENT RETURN
NO CR

JOB# 2 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 2 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 2 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 3 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 3 09BMZBF *BRAKE FLUSH TECH(S):5185 110.50
CLIENT REQUESTS BRAKE SYSTEM FLUSH WITH PERFORMANCE RACE
BRAKE FLUID SUPPLIED IN CAR BY CLIENT
DUE FOR BRAKE FLUSH
CLEARED SYSTEM OF OLD BRAKE FLUID AND ADDED SUPPLIED FLUID

JOB# 3 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------
LABOR 110.50

JOB# 3 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 3 TOTAL 110.50
JOB# 4 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 4 20BMZBL LOANER RESERVATION TECH(S):9999 0.00
BMW LOANER RESERVATION IN TSD

JOB# 4 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 4 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 4 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 5 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 5 00BMZNOTIFIED NOTIFIED CLIENT TECH(S):9999 0.00
SERVICE ADVISOR HAS NOTIFIED CLIENT
NOTIFIED CLIENT 3/23 @ 12:00 KC5120

JOB# 5 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 5 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 5 TOTAL 0.00
JOB# 6 CHARGES---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J# 6 21BMZBCW CAR WASH TECH(S):9000 0.00
CUSTOMER REQUESTS CAR WASH
MO: 1982
COMPLETED CAR WASH

JOB# 6 TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------

JOB# 6 JOURNAL PREFIX BMCS JOB# 6 TOTAL 0.00
COMMENTS----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BL - NEED DONE BY NOON 3/23 -512-296-5532

TOTALS------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
************************************************ TOTAL LABOR.... 110.50
* * TOTAL PARTS.... 0.00
* [ ] CASH [ ] CHECK CK NO. [ ] * TOTAL SUBLET... 0.00
* * TOTAL G.O.G.... 0.00
* [ ] VISA [ ] MASTERCARD [ ] DISCOVER * TOTAL MISC CHG. 0.00
* * TOTAL MISC DISC 0.00
* [ ] AMER XPRESS [ ] OTHER [ ] CHARGE * TOTAL TAX...... 0.00
* * --------
************************************************ TOTAL INVOICE $ 110.50
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #126
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywham View Post
so this finally fixed the problem or just another band-aid stuff...since OP has been driving the car for a while after the fixing, anything new to update?

Just want to appreciate this thread, I thought the problem can't be solved, and was thinking about starting a lemon car arbitration with BMW
I am taking my car in tomorrow and will ask them to check the thrust rod bushing which I was also told by an independent shop is the cause. My car currently has as perfect of an alignment as you can have and it continues to pull right. Will post confirmation once I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #127
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywham View Post

Yes, the car seems to be driving well now. it'll be a week tomorrow that I picked it up. I'll continue updating over the next month, will also update after attending an event at COTA this weekend.

If that goes well, I may look at adding camber plates as with the current -1.1/-1.2 camber in the front, it's going to destroy my tires in short order.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #128
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am taking my car in tomorrow and will ask them to check the thrust rod bushing which I was also told by an independent shop is the cause. My car currently has as perfect of an alignment as you can have and it continues to pull right. Will post confirmation once I get my car back.
Let us know how that goes, I'm trying to find the alignment sheet, had it in my office last week after I picked up the car, but can't find it since the housekeepers came last Friday.

Can say it was about -1.1 left, -1.2 right in the front and just a tad of toe-in to BMW specs...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #129
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone installed the Fall Line mono ball kit to fix this problem?
For $434 plus install it's an expensive "maybe" fix.
I do not think Dinan will release their fix anytime soon and I cannot live with this car pulling right for another year!
So many other cars I'd rather be in right now....
      03-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #130
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels
Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone installed the Fall Line mono ball kit to fix this problem?
For $434 plus install it's an expensive "maybe" fix.
I do not think Dinan will release their fix anytime soon and I cannot live with this car pulling right for another year!
So many other cars I'd rather be in right now....
Not that I am aware of, but I'm in line to have Dinan install a test unit in my car at no cost to me. Like you, dont want to keep waiting. Was told earlier this month Dinan would have their fix within two months.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #131
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Any update? Is it still tracking straight?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #132
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Any update? Is it still tracking straight?
So far, yes. there's still that tendency for the steering wheel to want to pop slightly right when I release it which is still weird - and EPS related I bet - but I'm not having to add constant left input to track straight now.

Will see how it does on track at COTA this weekend and update after...
Appreciate 0