Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-10-2023, 06:23 PM   #155
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmws1000rrperalez View Post
I have a 2016 M4 coupe and its doing the same thing can I drill 4 little holes to eliminate replacing the whole valve cover?
You need to remove it first to gut the ‘diaphragm.’
      08-11-2023, 03:16 PM   #156
claritea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This happened to me too at ~61k miles, but I just got a whole new cover. Hopefully good for another 60k or so...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 10:01 PM   #157
Seth9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Austin Yellow M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Just did the fix. Don't want to wake up the neighbors. Fingers crossed all went well and will I start it tomorrow.
      08-13-2023, 11:19 PM   #158
Soap
Churlish
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '18 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
The best thing to do is warm the car up and when it beings making the squealing noise at idle, take off the oil cap. If you hear a whoosh in the oil fill area and the sound goes away, I'm 99.9% sure that my fix will work. Another option you may want to explore is the VTT oil cap breather. It didn't work for me but I am told that it certainly works with the S55 and I just received a bad unit. Costs a lot more but it also saves a lot of time and you can leave your failed / ripped PCV on the valve cover since the oil cap breather will essentially provide the same ventilation characteristics.
I recently had this PCV failure from what I can tell (removing the oil fill cap stops the noise). Ordered the VTT crankcase breather to see if that will be a semi-long-term solution rather than replacing the valve cover.

My only concerns are any kind of oil spray that may come from the breather’s filter and that the noise sounds like it’s coming from the RMS. I guess I’ll see if the VTT breather stops the pressure issue caused by the PCV failing and then check for signs of the RMS leaking.

I’ll post an update on how the VTT crankcase breather works as a fix for this issue, haven’t been able to find anyone else who used solely the breather as a solution like you suggested.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:51 AM   #159
Soap
Churlish
United_States
Rep

Wanted to post an update. Haven’t received my VTT breather yet but went ahead and ordered an Amazon repair kit to try that method as well.

Might be overkill to do both, and if it works I’m not sure wether I’ll keep the VTT breather installed, but figuring doing both is still a lot cheaper than spending $750+ for a new valve cover so whatever. Either way I’ll feel better knowing the failed PCV diaphragm isn’t still on the car, just didn’t like the thought of it.

For science I’ll wait until after I install and test the VTT breather to try the repair kit. Hopefully that’ll provide a more definitive answer as to wether the VTT breather alone is an effective solution for those who would rather spend $120-$150 to avoid having to DIY the PCV repair kits and don’t mind leaving the failed PCV diagram on their car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:58 AM   #160
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post
Wanted to post an update. Haven’t received my VTT breather yet but went ahead and ordered an Amazon repair kit to try that method as well.

Might be overkill to do both, and if it works I’m not sure wether I’ll keep the VTT breather installed, but figuring doing both is still a lot cheaper than spending $750+ for a new valve cover so whatever. Either way I’ll feel better knowing the failed PCV diaphragm isn’t still on the car, just didn’t like the thought of it.

For science I’ll wait until after I install and test the VTT breather to try the repair kit. Hopefully that’ll provide a more definitive answer as to wether the VTT breather alone is an effective solution for those who would rather spend $120-$150 to avoid having to DIY the PCV repair kits and don’t mind leaving the failed PCV diagram on their car.
I took the breather approach first as well. It didn’t even install correctly. When I used someone else’s it just splattered oil all over my engine bay after a short drive. My buddy who owns it has a track car so he has a sock over it and his car just runs differently I guess because of his setup but tl;dr I hope that’s not the same case for you because it’s much easier and cleaner if it does work in your case, let us know how it turns out!
      08-14-2023, 11:42 AM   #161
Seth9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth9 View Post
Just did the fix. Don't want to wake up the neighbors. Fingers crossed all went well and will I start it tomorrow.
Did the fix and still have the sound but it's almost like its a secondary one that sounds little different. Does anyone know where else I should look?
      08-14-2023, 11:45 AM   #162
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
Did the fix and still have the sound but it's almost like its a secondary one that sounds little different. Does anyone know where else I should look?
I have the same results: did the fix but have the squeal, albeit it’s not nearly as loud as before. I’m going to cut the tip off the stem and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #163
Seth9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Ok so i'm on my second set of turbos and while doing this install I noticed something that looks really odd.

The piece that the intake pipe connects to, and then connects to the turbo isn't bolted to the actual turbo. Basically only held in by the O-ring when inserted. This can't be right. Can anyone else verify?
      08-14-2023, 05:46 PM   #164
Soap
Churlish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I took the breather approach first as well. It didn’t even install correctly. When I used someone else’s it just splattered oil all over my engine bay after a short drive. My buddy who owns it has a track car so he has a sock over it and his car just runs differently I guess because of his setup but tl;dr I hope that’s not the same case for you because it’s much easier and cleaner if it does work in your case, let us know how it turns out!
I actually just found this and ordered it.

Klifex 11127846359 Engine Cylinder Head Valve Cover Cap replacement for BMW S55 Engine S55B30 https://a.co/d/6iaFuM2

It’s advertised and looks to be a direct replacement for the S55 PCV valve vs the designs on the N55 kits I’ve seen. Seems to be a newly released item, haven’t seen much/any feedback on the manufacturer but it’s Amazon so I can always return it if it doesn’t work. I like that it’d theoretically retain the PCV functionality.

Your comments about the VTT breather have me a bit worried… I may just skip that route and just return it if I can get either this new S55 repair kit or the DIY repair kit to work.
Appreciate 3
      08-14-2023, 05:47 PM   #165
Seth9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok so i'm on my second set of turbos and while doing this install I noticed something that looks really odd.

The piece that the intake pipe connects to, and then connects to the turbo isn't bolted to the actual turbo. Basically only held in by the O-ring when inserted. This can't be right. Can anyone else verify?
Pics for reference

https://ibb.co/Fs0XLVy
https://ibb.co/RpK0x7G
      08-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #166
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:

Klifex 11127846359 Engine Cylinder Head Valve Cover Cap replacement for BMW S55 Engine S55B30 https://a.co/d/6iaFuM2

It’s advertised and looks to be a direct replacement for the S55 PCV valve vs the designs on the N55 kits I’ve seen. Seems to be a newly released item, haven’t seen much/any feedback on the manufacturer but it’s Amazon so I can always return it if it doesn’t work. I like that it’d theoretically retain the PCV functionality.

Your comments about the VTT breather have me a bit worried… I may just skip that route and just return it if I can get either this new S55 repair kit or the DIY repair kit to work.

Nice! This didn't exist when I did the fix but I'm glad they have an actual S55 kit now, spring and all. That means no drilling and no gutting and it sounds like it's a screw on kit? Even better. Definitely share the results!
      08-14-2023, 06:26 PM   #167
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
I'm due to swap my engine mounts because they're cooked, I will investigate when I get in there (even though I'm not removing the intake, I will just out of pure curiosity). Wont be doing it for a few weeks but hopefully someone else chimes in before then.
      08-14-2023, 09:11 PM   #168
Soap
Churlish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice! This didn't exist when I did the fix but I'm glad they have an actual S55 kit now, spring and all. That means no drilling and no gutting and it sounds like it's a screw on kit? Even better. Definitely share the results!
Oh yeah for sure I’ll post an update tomorrow when I get it installed, would be great if this is a proper replacement for the S55 rather than having to DIY the N55 kits. Hoping it’s not just a scam selling the an N55 kit and labeling it as being for the S55 but we’ll see.

As a side note, is there anything else that needs to come out other than the engine cover, cowl covers, carbon strut, and charge pipes? Trying to see if I can remove as little as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 11:33 PM   #169
Seth9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually have one of these as a back up to the N55 kit. I think I need to drill bigger holes for mine because it's still squealing. Its doing it less but def still doing it.
      08-15-2023, 09:09 AM   #170
Soap
Churlish
United_States
Rep

Seeing if anyone has any input. What is the function/how vital is this plastic valve cover shield?

Name:  IMG_2070.jpeg
Views: 466
Size:  213.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2067.jpeg
Views: 474
Size:  205.9 KB

I’m thinking that if a circle could be cut around that buldge/indent that the pcv sits under, it would make servicing/troubleshooting the pcv fix much easier in the future without having to repeatedly uninstall and reinstall the intake, charge pipes, brace, etc. Seems like you’d be able to access it by just popping off the engine cover.

I wouldn’t think that cutting away the section of the cover over the pcv would really make it or any other components THAT much less protected or be all that risky, but not sure.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 10:32 AM   #171
Seth9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Seeing if anyone has any input. What is the function/how vital is this plastic valve cover shield?

Attachment 3253984

Attachment 3253985

I’m thinking that if a circle could be cut around that buldge/indent that the pcv sits under, it would make servicing/troubleshooting the pcv fix much easier in the future without having to repeatedly uninstall and reinstall the intake, charge pipes, brace, etc. Seems like you’d be able to access it by just popping off the engine cover.

I wouldn’t think that cutting away the section of the cover over the pcv would really make it or any other components THAT much less protected or be all that risky, but not sure.

Thoughts?
I love the added accessibility but with drilling holes in the top of the PVC cap, I like the added "protection" better (mostly for my own peace of mind)
      08-15-2023, 10:49 AM   #172
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:

I noticed in the last picture on Scamazon that the top of the cap had a hose barb and all the other pics didn't. Curious, what did yours look like? BTW I remove all those stupid covers.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 10:53 AM   #173
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:

Attachment 3253984

Attachment 3253985

Thoughts?
Keep it. You shouldn’t have to do anything with the PCV for multiple oil changes/10-15k miles. Also it provides the primary mounts for your engine cover (if you use one). The time savings isn’t worth the protection loss.
      08-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #174
Soap
Churlish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep it. You shouldn’t have to do anything with the PCV for multiple oil changes/10-15k miles. Also it provides the primary mounts for your engine cover (if you use one). The time savings isn’t worth the protection loss.
That’s true, I would definitely keep it installed then. I think what I would consider is just a window cut out to access the PCV. Ideally I wouldn’t need to get to it often. But even in testing the new S55 version of the repair kit and potentially needing to remove it to drill holes if it doesn’t work out as a direct replacement, it would be much simpler to be able to do that without multiple removals and installations of all the components in the way.

In terms of protection it definitely would be less than keeping it fully intact, but the question is how much protection loss there is by having only the area right on top the pcv exposed. Still on the fence about it, but may be better to play it safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:23 PM   #175
Soap
Churlish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
I noticed in the last picture on Scamazon that the top of the cap had a hose barb and all the other pics didn't. Curious, what did yours look like? BTW I remove all those stupid covers.
The other pictures just show it with the little cover for the barb that clips on, so there’s still a barb under it, the last pic just shows it with no cover. Not sure wether it comes the cover for the barb, but either way I think the cover on the original pcv barb can just be swapped over to the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:59 PM   #176
Soap
Churlish
United_States
Rep

Ok so update, didn’t install and test the new pcv repair kit today, ended up ordering charge pipes since I’ll already have the stock ones removed so might as well upgrade them. Waiting until those come in tomorrow to install everything. However, the S55 pcv repair kit came in and it seems pretty solid, from what I can tell it’s pretty indistinguishable from the original pcvs I’m seeing people remove.
Name:  IMG_2080.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  220.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2083.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  240.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2087.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  257.5 KB
Appreciate 1