Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #23
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking about sways as a complement to my MP HAS recently, and listening to your boy Steve Dinan's interview on The Smoking Tire this weekend really got my juices flowing so I've been researching the heck out of your kit over the last couple days which led me to this thread. It's odd, though, b/c there's not a ton of reviews or feedback about them (however, the feedback there is has been mostly positive).

That's a great point about tires, and definitely something that I was missing. I'm currently on OEM 18s with MPSS but I'm about to upgrade to 19" 275/30 front and 305/30 rear PS4S (both a bigger delta AND a wider/grippier tire) so maybe I will be in that cohort of ppl who wants to adjust that rear bar.

Btw, rather than hijack this thread and spin it in a different direction, I started a new thread this morning and linked you to it re: philosophy behind Dinan vs F80 CS bars. Would you mind providing some insight over on that one? I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around how (or even if) two things that seem so different can both work reasonably well. Thanks!

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1850648
Suspension reviews outside of full coilovers, springs, and maybe you could include camber plates in there, are always lacking it seems like in general. I blame it on the unsexiness of suspension stuff. Everyone typically is after a bigger horsepower number which is a bit amusing since its immaterial without a decent suspension to control it. Wish things like monoballs got more love then they do but alas.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 01:20 AM   #24
Nanometer
Vice Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp & 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
Hey, I have the Dinan sway bar as well as the dinan springs and height adjustment kit. The car feels very wonky to me, and I was wondering what the recommended sway bar settings would be to start with front and rear?

Also, if you happen to suggest different rear toe than stock -.14 on each side, was wondering what you would recommend? I do a lot of highspeed tracks such as willow springs and sometimes button willow.
      12-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #25
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
Hey, I have the Dinan sway bar as well as the dinan springs and height adjustment kit. The car feels very wonky to me, and I was wondering what the recommended sway bar settings would be to start with front and rear?

Also, if you happen to suggest different rear toe than stock -.14 on each side, was wondering what you would recommend? I do a lot of highspeed tracks such as willow springs and sometimes button willow.
For the bars on the M3/M4 you would want to start off on the outside holes on both bars and adjust for preference from there. As far as alignment goes -- the suggested alignment specs are included in the instructions of the suspension kit HERE. For the specific question though the rear toe is reccommended to be set at 0.17 +/- .08.

Given your location if you are having issues I would HIGHLY reccommend reaching out to Marc at Bavarian Workshop in West Hills. Very familiar with the setup and has been a dealer for an eternity. Plus theres a good chance you will see some cherry classics if you visit.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 11:42 AM   #26
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Seeking specific stiffness & any specialized alignment recommendations based on my car's specific setup and goals. Details and context below.

Planning to install front and rear Dinan sway bar set today ALONG WITH Fall-Line rear camber shims + SPL rear adjustable toe arms (w/eccentric lock)

My goal is to more aggressively lap GT3s, GT3RSs, and other comparable cars during a 20-25min track session. I'm already doing so (especially at the straight-away portions) but want to be more effective during the more technical portions of a road course. I would honestly rate myself an "advanced-level novice" or "beginner-level intermediate" driver.

The car in discussion is a full weight base model 2016 F80 M3 (no cage, full interior, + 3 gallon meth tank) currently equipped with:

1) Regular Michelin Cup 2s (180 treadwear) - 285/30/19 fronts & 305/30/19 rears

2) Apex VS-5RS wheels - Staggered setup: 19x10 ET25 (10mm spacers) & 19x11 ET44 (7.5mm spacers)

2) Ground Control Camber Plates (I believe currently at around -2.75 camber up front) IMO these camber plates are designed horribly & I plan to upgrade so open to suggestions

3) KW V3 coil overs (w/no EDC) Yes, these are street coil overs. I am poor and only do 7-8 HPDEs per year.

4) Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake (Front) 6-piston calipers, 380x34mm Type-3 slotted rotors, Pagid RSL1 pads (Rear) 4-piston calipers, 380x28mm Type-3 slotted rotors, Pagid RS29 pads. Endless RF-650 fluid

5) Turner Motorsports Differential mounting bracket

6) Every purple PowerFlex bushing available

Besides the Dinan Sway Bars, Fall-Line Rear Camber Shims, and SPL adjustable rear toe arms, everything suspension-related on the car is 100% OEM at the moment. I did recently replace tie-rods, both lower rear control arms, and rear lower wishbones.

Any advice or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:31 PM   #27
ENDL3SS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46/F15/GT4

Garage List
2005 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
Seeking specific stiffness & any specialized alignment recommendations based on my car's specific setup and goals. Details and context below.

Planning to install front and rear Dinan sway bar set today ALONG WITH Fall-Line rear camber shims + SPL rear adjustable toe arms (w/eccentric lock)

My goal is to more aggressively lap GT3s, GT3RSs, and other comparable cars during a 20-25min track session. I'm already doing so (especially at the straight-away portions) but want to be more effective during the more technical portions of a road course. I would honestly rate myself an "advanced-level novice" or "beginner-level intermediate" driver.

The car in discussion is a full weight base model 2016 F80 M3 (no cage, full interior, + 3 gallon meth tank) currently equipped with:

1) Regular Michelin Cup 2s (180 treadwear) - 285/30/19 fronts & 305/30/19 rears

2) Apex VS-5RS wheels - Staggered setup: 19x10 ET25 (10mm spacers) & 19x11 ET44 (7.5mm spacers)

2) Ground Control Camber Plates (I believe currently at around -2.75 camber up front) IMO these camber plates are designed horribly & I plan to upgrade so open to suggestions

3) KW V3 coil overs (w/no EDC) Yes, these are street coil overs. I am poor and only do 7-8 HPDEs per year.

4) Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake (Front) 6-piston calipers, 380x34mm Type-3 slotted rotors, Pagid RSL1 pads (Rear) 4-piston calipers, 380x28mm Type-3 slotted rotors, Pagid RS29 pads. Endless RF-650 fluid

5) Turner Motorsports Differential mounting bracket

6) Every purple PowerFlex bushing available

Besides the Dinan Sway Bars, Fall-Line Rear Camber Shims, and SPL adjustable rear toe arms, everything suspension-related on the car is 100% OEM at the moment. I did recently replace tie-rods, both lower rear control arms, and rear lower wishbones.

Any advice or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I recently gotten the Dinan Sway Bar set installed on my F80 along with Milway Camber Plates. Running -3.5 camber up front. I suggest going with SPL front and rear sway bar end links. My shop had issues with the provided Dinan front end links being too long for my current ride height on MPHAS.
Appreciate 1
tomlong617.00
      07-08-2022, 12:58 PM   #28
markw10702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTMore Anyone?

Consider Milway camber plates.
https://www.millway.se/camber-plates...0-f82-f83.html

The KW's are going to be under sprung for any serious track work. I don't think you are going to have enough spring rate (too soft) to effectively keep up with the GT3 or GT3RS cars in the corners.

If you haven't purchased coil overs yet, I'd recommend MCS 2WNR. These will be a huge improvement over the KW V3 dampers. Pair them with spring rates of 575 lbs/in front and 800 lbs/in rear.

You didn't mention alignment. I'd look at getting a track-oriented alignment so you don't wear out your front tires and to get the most out of the chassis.

Last edited by markw10702; 07-08-2022 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
tomlong617.00
      07-08-2022, 02:21 PM   #29
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10702 View Post
Consider Milway camber plates.
https://www.millway.se/camber-plates...0-f82-f83.html

The KW's are going to be under sprung for any serious track work. I don't think you are going to have enough spring rate (too soft) to effectively keep up with the GT3 or GT3RS cars in the corners.

If you haven't purchased coil overs yet, I'd recommend MCS 2WNR. These will be a huge improvement over the KW V3 dampers. Pair them with spring rates of 575 lbs/in front and 800 lbs/in rear.

You didn't mention alignment. I'd look at getting a track-oriented alignment so you don't wear out your front tires and to get the most out of the chassis.
I apologize if I wasn't clear but I did ask for stiffness settings and alignment specific recommendations (if anyone had any pertaining to my setup) in my opening remarks of my earlier post. Yes, I assume a track alignment is an obvious must-do upon installing these suspension mods.

I also just called Tarret Engineering (MCS 2WNR coil overs) but no one picked up the phone. Didn't see anything for the F8x on their website.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 05:20 PM   #30
markw10702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTMore Anyone?

This should help you get started.

https://www.motioncontrolsuspension....tions-pricing/

On Monday morning give Martin @ AR Motorsports a call. They have extensive experience with MCS and the F8x platform. Although they are in the Portland, OR area, they can configure and ship anywhere.

https://www.ar-motorsports.com/

(503) 697-3311 x2

Believe me when I tell you, do the suspension right the first time. Don't skimp because of (under) budget or because you have a "number" you don't want to exceed. This is absolutely the wrong way to go about it.
Appreciate 0