proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Fuel system cleaner - liquid moly

How often do you guys use liquid moly fuel system cleaner? I use Costco premium fuel in my car and sometimes the car sits for a few days or 2 weeks and gets laggy performance. Do you recommend this type of treatment or octane booster?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
m4nual2016
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Costco gas is “top tier” detergent gasoline and shouldn’t have any negative affects on your car.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      08-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

I'm a member of the BMW CCA and get the monthly magazine, The Roundel. There's a Tech Q&A section towards the back of the magazine. Every time gasoline is brought up, the resounding answer for the best gas for our engines is Shell V-Power® NiTRO+. For what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:27 AM   #4
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
How often do you guys use liquid moly fuel system cleaner? I use Costco premium fuel in my car and sometimes the car sits for a few days or 2 weeks and gets laggy performance. Do you recommend this type of treatment or octane booster?
I use Chevron Complete Fuel System Cleaner ($7 when on sale) with Shell 91 every oil change. Rest of the time it is Costco. Seems to work just fine
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:57 AM   #5
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

On any car that is driven regularly and top tier fuel is used there is no need for fuel system cleaner. Now if it has set for extended length of time... like over a year then you can run a tank or two but after that no need
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      09-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
tpreston033
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

My 2 cents... I agree with the Shell V-Power 91+. Additionally, I have used BG44K fuel additive since 1995 on every vehicle I've owned. Annually w/full tank of fuel just before a road trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

On all my cars, I change the oil every 6500 miles and use Liqui Moly fuel injector cleaner then. Overkill maybe but why not, cheap insurance..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

i've not put any system cleaner, I only use my car seldomly and often sits in the garage, id be lucky to put 200 miles a week. I'm sure teh top their fuel can become stagnant when sitting a while.. i like to keep my car topped off, but the past fill up it feels you need to press the gas pedal harder, the idle is still smooth..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
JeffO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Fuel additives

I use the Chevron fuel system additive sold at Costco occasionally in all my cars. In the F80 I use almost only Shell 93. We have lots of Shell stations in the area now. As alternative my second choice is Chevron. All my other cars get Costco premium regularly but none are DI. A guy working for long time at the Costco station said they mostly bought Exxon gasoline at the Costco near me, but it varies depending on price availability. I use fuel additive about 15k to 20k miles near the end of oil change cycle or before a highway trip. BMW bottled fuel additive I think is still Chevron Techron product.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #10
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

there is no Shell by me for at least a good 15 mile radius.. best option I have air BP, Sunoco, Exxon and Costco.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #11
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

In NorCal Chevron is everywhere as well as Valero, Arco & some Mobil stations. Shell sold their refinery in Martinez and now most of those station have become Speedway. Shell refining remains in Puget Sound, WA and Carson, CA. For me, Chevron it is..
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #12
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

BP is usually my 2nd go to.... no specific reason. It just seems like a good brand plus one of the local stations used to cary E85 when I was mixing. It no longer has it due to COVID. Luckly I have Shells everywhere
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:45 AM   #13
Demxsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
If I don't drive the car for a week to 10 days, I usually start it up and let it run in the garage for 10-15 minutes, then turn it off. Keeps the engine lubricated and fluids mixed. Doesn't put any miles on the car, and barley uses any gas if it's just idling for 10 minutes.

I'm not sure how the oil system characteristics of this engine. But I think in most cars, if they sit for over 2 weeks the oil will settle and the cams and at least a portion of the crankshaft will not be lubricated. Sure once the engine starts they will get oil on them pretty quick. But the other thing to look out for is moisture. Once the oil settles off the parts moisture can collect directly on some parts and potentially cause mild corrosion over time.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:51 AM   #14
Demxsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejones4541 View Post
I'm a member of the BMW CCA and get the monthly magazine, The Roundel. There's a Tech Q&A section towards the back of the magazine. Every time gasoline is brought up, the resounding answer for the best gas for our engines is Shell V-Power® NiTRO+. For what it's worth.
Did they talk about performance differences?

I find this interesting because I fill up at Costco sometimes and at Shell sometimes. It really seemed like the car just ran better, and pulled harder anytime I filled up at shell. I have no data on it, just a feeling, and there could have been other variables at play, like ambient temp. But it's something that I made a mental note of multiple times over the years, and my hunch almost feels validated by reading what you said.

Also, All the Shells are now Speedways where I am now. Are they using the same gas Shell did?
Appreciate 0