ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #397
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
953
Rep
1,656
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
where do you guys hide your dash cams so no one can see them. just curious. BTW the guy is an absolute moron. Who does this to others property is a complete doush.
Why would you WANT to hide the dash cam so no one see's them. I would absolutely WANT a valet to see the cam.

If you want to CATCH someone doing something bad - hide the cam. If you want to PREVENT something bad from happening stick it in their face!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #398
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
727
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: geo metro
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Why would you WANT to hide the dash cam so no one see's them. I would absolutely WANT a valet to see the cam.

If you want to CATCH someone doing something bad - hide the cam. If you want to PREVENT something bad from happening stick it in their face!
I agree with the above. I have my cam on the right side of my rearview mirror which isn't exactly hidden from the driver, but it also doesn't distract from my field of vision.

I intend on telling anyone (mainly BMW techs) who drive my car that I have a dashcam so that they won't do stupid sh*t.

Oddly enough, the one time I had someone else drive it (a service tech at BMW) he actually saw that my dash cam was on and recording (because he was waving at it when he got out) and went on an extended service drive to make sure my winter tires wouldn't fall off.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #399
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
bmwluvr24's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
619
Posts

Drives: 2008 E60 M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
I agree that everyone's car means something to the owner, I didn't say they didn't. However, as YouTubes show and from what I have captured on my own dashcam, valets/service techs get a bit more irresponsible when driving M/AMG/RS/Corvette and the like.

Also, why should I trust you? Have you been joy riding around in other people's cars?
Cheers and you shouldn't. Happy?
__________________
2008 E60 M5 Sepang Bronze Metallic, gloss black grills and gills, LED side markers, 12mm spacers all around, stud conversion kit, custom exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #400
MParallel
Mr. OEM
MParallel's Avatar
Netherlands
368
Rep
676
Posts

Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Only just stumbled onto this thread, through a German forum. Great work here.

I'm glad valet parking here is extremely uncommon, and the places that do have it, are places I don't come to.
__________________

'98 BMW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 03:36 AM   #401
opasha
Brigadier General
opasha's Avatar
1278
Rep
3,991
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Why would you WANT to hide the dash cam so no one see's them. I would absolutely WANT a valet to see the cam.

If you want to CATCH someone doing something bad - hide the cam. If you want to PREVENT something bad from happening stick it in their face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
I agree with the above. I have my cam on the right side of my rearview mirror which isn't exactly hidden from the driver, but it also doesn't distract from my field of vision.

I intend on telling anyone (mainly BMW techs) who drive my car that I have a dashcam so that they won't do stupid sh*t.

Oddly enough, the one time I had someone else drive it (a service tech at BMW) he actually saw that my dash cam was on and recording (because he was waving at it when he got out) and went on an extended service drive to make sure my winter tires wouldn't fall off.
That's one way to look at it. The people including myself that want their dash cams hidden are doing it for the following reason: In case of a hit and run, if someone sees your camera, they know this will get them in trouble with the law due to EVIDENCE. If the person is serious in getting away with their crime (9 times out of 10, most are), they will break into your car (shattering your windows, damaging many other parts of your door/interior/perhaps even stealing some other things inside while they are at it) and steal the camera. Amongst the damage mentioned above, they might also mess up your interior wiring of the car if they are in a hurry to get away.

At the end of the day, even if you hide it, you can still tell valets and service departments you have one, so hiding it is the better option .
__________________
2014 X5 50i X-Line // Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #402
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
727
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: geo metro
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
That's one way to look at it. The people including myself that want their dash cams hidden are doing it for the following reason: In case of a hit and run, if someone sees your camera, they know this will get them in trouble with the law due to EVIDENCE. If the person is serious in getting away with their crime (9 times out of 10, most are), they will break into your car (shattering your windows, damaging many other parts of your door/interior/perhaps even stealing some other things inside while they are at it) and steal the camera. Amongst the damage mentioned above, they might also mess up your interior wiring of the car if they are in a hurry to get away.

At the end of the day, even if you hide it, you can still tell valets and service departments you have one, so hiding it is the better option .
You must really live in your own bubble to make all of those snide comments. You have no idea why people hide their cameras outside of you and the people you talk to (has there been a widely solicited survey asking people why they hide their dashcams?). Also, to make such a childish statement as "so hiding it is the better option" just makes you look like an amateur.

Also, you may want to look up what a hit and run is? The very definition of a hit and run is that the perpetrator does not stop his/her car but instead drives off.

Again, 9 times out of 10 they are serous??? Source / evidence

Your entire comment is preposterous and non-sense. If you have an opinion about something, great explain what it is and move on. Please don't make up numbers and presume you know the undisputed right answer to everything... amateur.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #403
rymiller73
Second Lieutenant
rymiller73's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington D.C./Fairfax, VA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtex View Post
Awesome! And I'd go back and accommodate their request, but that takes time If anything, this is good PR for them, so maybe I'll just say that I've used their parking facilities before (not the valet) since they're just across the street. The whole complex and the parking facilities are GORGEOUS. The public parking deck has umpteen dozen EV-only spots with chargers, which is nuts for DC.

So, I'll just say if you're in DC, do stop by City Center, because it's pretty freakin' cool.
I'll second that!!
__________________
2015 M3, BSM[/Carbonstructure/CF | DCT | Exec. Pkg | Adaptive M | HK Audio | 19" | CF Roof .
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #404
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
bmwluvr24's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
619
Posts

Drives: 2008 E60 M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
You must really live in your own bubble to make all of those snide comments. You have no idea why people hide their cameras outside of you and the people you talk to (has there been a widely solicited survey asking people why they hide their dashcams?). Also, to make such a childish statement as "so hiding it is the better option" just makes you look like an amateur.

Also, you may want to look up what a hit and run is? The very definition of a hit and run is that the perpetrator does not stop his/her car but instead drives off.

Again, 9 times out of 10 they are serous??? Source / evidence

Your entire comment is preposterous and non-sense. If you have an opinion about something, great explain what it is and move on. Please don't make up numbers and presume you know the undisputed right answer to everything... amateur.
You sure know how to make friends. Hit and run does not mean that the car who hits you immediately leaves the scene. It just means that they didn't stick around to get caught. In this case, I would say that someone who hits a car and sees a dash cam will definitely freak out and either leave their info or break in and steal it and then leave the scene. That is a hit and run. Period.
__________________
2008 E60 M5 Sepang Bronze Metallic, gloss black grills and gills, LED side markers, 12mm spacers all around, stud conversion kit, custom exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #405
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
727
Rep
1,208
Posts

Drives: geo metro
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mhead24 View Post
You sure know how to make friends. Hit and run does not mean that the car who hits you immediately leaves the scene. It just means that they didn't stick around to get caught. In this case, I would say that someone who hits a car and sees a dash cam will definitely freak out and either leave their info or break in and steal it and then leave the scene. That is a hit and run. Period.
You must have a very obscure sense of reality. A proper definition of a hit-and-run is in the link and it clearly states that the driver of the crime fails to stop to exchange information. Obviously, if the driver stops and acknowledges the damage he wouldn't care about the camera.

I am not sure what you mean by "didn't stick around to get caught"... nobody just sticks around to get caught haha. They either leave or don't leave and exchange information. Can you send me a YouTube or something that shows a guy standing around waiting to get caught and then realizing "Oh SH*T! A DASHCAM!!!" and proceeds to break even more laws to steal the dashcam? Nope, bet you can't.

You can keep on making up your mumbo jumbo and posting on this site all you want but you are just making yourself look bad.

I also don't intend to make virtual internet friends. I have my real friends. You should try making them. haha

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...om/hit+and+run
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #406
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
bmwluvr24's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
619
Posts

Drives: 2008 E60 M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
You must have a very obscure sense of reality. A proper definition of a hit-and-run is in the link and it clearly states that the driver of the crime fails to stop to exchange information. Obviously, if the driver stops and acknowledges the damage he wouldn't care about the camera.

I am not sure what you mean by "didn't stick around to get caught"... nobody just sticks around to get caught haha. They either leave or don't leave and exchange information. Can you send me a YouTube or something that shows a guy standing around waiting to get caught and then realizing "Oh SH*T! A DASHCAM!!!" and proceeds to break even more laws to steal the dashcam? Nope, bet you can't.

You can keep on making up your mumbo jumbo and posting on this site all you want but you are just making yourself look bad.

I also don't intend to make virtual internet friends. I have my real friends. You should try making them. haha

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...om/hit+and+run
I think that we are friends. If we aren't then I must not have purpose in life. Jeez.......now what do I do?
__________________
2008 E60 M5 Sepang Bronze Metallic, gloss black grills and gills, LED side markers, 12mm spacers all around, stud conversion kit, custom exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:14 AM   #407
bimmerking818
First Lieutenant
bimmerking818's Avatar
164
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: california

iTrader: (0)

I would straight up kill him no questions ask
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:23 AM   #408
M6-Coupe
Major General
M6-Coupe's Avatar
755
Rep
5,792
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CP
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerking818 View Post
I would straight up kill him no questions ask
Hold on... Murder is a crime
__________________
Current : 2018 Mineral Gray M3 6MT
Gone : 2016 Austin Yellow M4 6MT
Gone: 2013 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Gone: 2012 Black Sapphire 650i - ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #409
emfo
emfo's Avatar
43
Rep
454
Posts

Drives: TT
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tri-state

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Just make a valet mode key or some coded lock with limited speed and RPM...that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
I would like to see a valet mode limited to 15 or 20 mph and 100 hp as an example that customers can enable.
Word. How does this not already exist? Perhaps a setting you can activate from iDrive can be disabled with a password.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST