Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
m6_eddie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP, BMW M6 GC, BMW M3

CCB and service department

ive been having an issue with BMW service all across SoCal and cannot get these brakes replaced after one year of car ownership. I bought the car preowned and the brakes calipers were fading a bit. They were not even close to this stage and have gotten worse with time. The paint but over every single wash it has gotten to the point of embarrassing. Any suggestions on getting this replaced. Im to the point of either selling this car and getting an AMG. this issue has gone for too long and I have seem other people on the forums get this replaced
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Powder coat them to your desires.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
m6_eddie
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Powder coat them to your desires.
My buddy told me to not powder coat CCBs. I havent really seen and CCBs that have been powder coated. Is there any shops that are good in SoCal?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I don’t know but I’m sure it’s a non issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6_eddie View Post
My buddy told me to not powder coat CCBs. I havent really seen and CCBs that have been powder coated. Is there any shops that are good in SoCal?
TAG Motorsports does painted calipers. CCB’s aren’t a problem. Calipers are calipers.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
gingerbread
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Pretty sure the CCB are anodized not painted. so if you are using an aggressive alkaline or acid cleaner you could be causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:58 AM   #7
m6_eddie
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
Pretty sure the CCB are anodized not painted. so if you are using an aggressive alkaline or acid cleaner you could be causing the issue.
I haven't used any cleaner on my brakes at all since i purchased the car. After noticing the brakes being a bit faded I really didn't want to put anything but water. Over the past two months it has started to get worse Before, it wasn't that noticeable until you got close to the car. Now I think the coating has come off and now the paint may be just peeling.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Are all 4 calipers like this or just one corner? I too read that they are anodized since someone was asking for the caliper paint code and none are available. Anodized parts are pretty but not all that durable. If all 4 calipers are like this whomever washed the car mistakenly used wheel cleaner on a warm/hot caliper or let it sit a tad too long causing the damage to the anodized parts. Years back I had aftermarket wheels with an anodized chrome lip. The dealer cleaned the wheels using wheel cleaner and the anodized parts faded off where the solution sat/pooled. If the dealer won't agree to replace them, just get them powdered coated or painted to a color of your choosing. It's a hassle but you can make your calipers more unique.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Wow that's ridiculous. What was their excuse? You were cleaning them wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #10
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Looks like previous owner put a a chemical or brake fluid spilled on them without removing properly. I can't understand why you would sell the car because of this. You can get calipers refinished at most shops or just send to IND and they would be happy to paint any color or refinish
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #11
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
I can't understand why you would sell the car because of this. You can get calipers refinished at most shops or just send to IND and they would be happy to paint any color or refinish
I think it's the PITA logistics. You'd need to either do it yourself in your garage and have the car up on jack stands sitting while you ship or take your rotors to a place that you trust to powercoat them.

Or, if you don't have space or don't know how to wrench on your own car, you'd have to go to a shop that would be willing to take your brake calipers off and have the car sit inside in one of their service bays while the calipers are sent out for powder coating.

IOW, it's a big PITA. While getting an AMG instead is extreme, when I just think about what the OP has to do to get the calipers powdercoated, I get a fucking headache.
Appreciate 0