GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

Wheel angle setups. How do set up your car?

Let's talk about Camber, Castor, Toe-in. As the BMW's are known to wear down the inside of their tyres even if they are set up after the book i wonder how you guys have your cars aligned. I know most of us run lowered cars and what have you done chassi wise to get the car properly aligned? How much adjustments is there on the stock suspension arms for example? Do you guys change parts to get it set up right?

Johnny
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
wsccsw13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

There is no stock front static camber adjustment on the F8x chassis. I have ground control comber plates set to -2.5 camber and 0.05 toe out. I use this for the street and track as opposed to adjusting each time I go to the track. Toe wears tires more than camber, so this compromised setting saves my track tire shoulders and doesn’t destroy my street tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsccsw13 View Post
There is no stock front static camber adjustment on the F8x chassis. I have ground control comber plates set to -2.5 camber and 0.05 toe out. I use this for the street and track as opposed to adjusting each time I go to the track. Toe wears tires more than camber, so this compromised setting saves my track tire shoulders and doesn’t destroy my street tires.
How is he tramlinig with this set up? What alignment are you using in the rear in conjunction?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
wsccsw13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

No issues with around town or for brief stints on the highway/interstate...no worse on bad roads either...keeping the toe basically neutral helps keep it at bay. The rear is at -1.7 and slight toe in (0.05 to 0.1 I think).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

As wsccsw13 has said, there is no front camber adjustment on the OEM suspension. There is no castor adjustment either. However, the OEM rear has a range of camber you can dial in. The maximum negative camber you can get in the rear is about -2.4 degrees (give or take depending on ride height). If you dial in more than -2.4ish, you will run out of toe adjustment. It's the nature of multilink suspension.

You can get around all these limitations by getting camber plates and rear toe links.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Given that there's no camber adjustments on the front OEM suspension, if I lowered only the front of my vehicle while leaving the rear at stock height, would I need an alignment? I'm thinking no for normal everyday driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
Given that there's no camber adjustments on the front OEM suspension, if I lowered only the front of my vehicle while leaving the rear at stock height, would I need an alignment? I'm thinking no for normal everyday driving?
You'd still want to correct your toe adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #8
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymannen View Post
Let's talk about Camber, Castor, Toe-in. As the BMW's are known to wear down the inside of their tyres even if they are set up after the book i wonder how you guys have your cars aligned.
Johnny
Stock '15. MPSS rears are wearing more on the outside, same pattern both tires. Any advice on alignment?
Appreciate 0