Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #199
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
I had a herniated disc with sciatica and ended up with surgery. So I am very conscious about the support my back gives and it is my opinion these seats do not provide enough support in the lumbar region. That said, not slouching and scooting your butt all the way back is the best solution.
Agreed. I'm actually at the spinal injections point and surgery is being discussed. At my age, I'n not too thrilled, but they say its very minimally invasive and recovery time is quick.
Try everything else before; what people don't know is that surgery involves removing a piece of a disc. Then, if you continue your bad habits, it will herniate again and will have to be removed and you will need a fusion. And then other discs will have to take the effort of spinal movement and then real trouble starts.

Don't let anyone touch your back. Shots are fine but until you are almost in bed and filing for disability, you should skip surgery. Also, look at stats. The level of pain of a those people that have an injury and decide to have surgery, converges to that of those that did not have surgery in about two years...
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. I'm actually at the spinal injections point and surgery is being discussed. At my age, I'n not too thrilled, but they say its very minimally invasive and recovery time is quick.
Yeah hit me up in DMs if you want to talk more about it. But the surgery was a god send for me compared to the pain prior. The worst part is they cut into your muscles and those take months to where you don't feel the incision site when they engage. But you are walking around the day of the surgery - you just don't want to sit and bend
DMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I had a herniated disc with sciatica and ended up with surgery. So I am very conscious about the support my back gives and it is my opinion these seats do not provide enough support in the lumbar region. That said, not slouching and scooting your butt all the way back is the best solution.
Try everything else before; what people don't know is that surgery involves removing a piece of a disc. Then, if you continue your bad habits, it will herniate again and will have to be removed and you will need a fusion. And then other discs will have to take the effort of spinal movement and then real trouble starts.

Don't let anyone touch your back. Shots are fine but until you are almost in bed and filing for disability, you should skip surgery. Also, look at stats. The level of pain of a those people that have an injury and decide to have surgery, converges to that of those that did not have surgery in about two years...
Good feedback. I'm very much against it - I'm 32 and otherwise pretty healthy. It wasn't necessarily bad habits that caused it - it was a injury sustained through service.

I'm interested to see what the path forward is when I meet with the anesthesiologist next week. All I know is it sucks because deployments are the best time to get back in spectacular shape.
Email Stuart McGill. He receives thousands of emails but if you lay out your case he might take it. He treats a bunch of Olympic weightlifters that cannot pick up a pencil because of their back issues. Watch his videos and read his book. His is a guru in the topic and tests cadavers in his lab - he is not the yoga kind that promotes stretching and the like. As a matter of fact, he is very much against any stretching of the back. It's all about posture, movement and endurance of lower back muscles.

If you avoid surgery and get healthy again you owe me a track day!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #200
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I'm 5'6" and around 150 lbs and the competition seats fit me perfect. I think it will depend on your size.
      10-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #201
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
I'm 5'6" and around 150 lbs and the competition seats fit me perfect. I think it will depend on your size.
That could also be it too. I'm 6'0" 190 lbs with broad shoulders and in addition to the lumbar being inefficient, I feel like the side bolsters and especially where the shoulder blades are on me are too close together. It forces my back into a more rounded posture instead of being able to push my shoulder blades back.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #202
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

6'1 188lbs, love em.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #203
m3rick
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP MPE 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
She wouldn't like the non-CP seats either if she complained about the 550 seats. If taking another car isn't an option, try ignoring / tuning her out. It takes a few years of practice to really do it effectively but once you master a technique, you'll find yourself doing it without even trying.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #204
oduli81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
Has anyone on here come from a standard M3/4 and then upgraded to the competition package? I'm looking at doing that but am concerned with how comfortable/supportive the new seats will be (and I don't think I'll be able to sit in one before I order). This is my daily driver and most weekends I make a 2.5 hour drive up to Austin. And along with that how do you all like it as a daily (if that's what you use it for).
going from regular F8x seats to the competition, so much better. I was able to do a 3hr trip without having to pull over multiple times and stretch .
Appreciate 0